JoePa "retiring" at end of season...Official(merged threads) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JoePa "retiring" at end of season...Official(merged threads)

As I think about this, I think it's good that Paterno gets the rest of the season. Living in that bubble, disconnected from reality in State College, I don't think he has any grasp on what he did, and any remorse other than wishing he'd never been caught.

After this week, Penn State plays their last two games of the season on the road. He deserves everything he's going to get in Columbus and Madison.

As I think about this, I think it's good that Paterno gets the rest of the season. Living in that bubble, disconnected from reality in State College, I don't think he has any grasp on what he did, and any remorse other than wishing he'd never been caught.

After this week, Penn State plays their last two games of the season on the road. He deserves everything he's going to get in Columbus and Madison.

I bet they don't have him travel to those games even though he's still the "coach".

Cowards.

I bet they don't have him travel to those games even though he's still the "coach".

Cowards.

This may be the first time I'm ever going to root for Ohio State. I hope Penn State gets everything and more coming to them.

A decent human being fires Sandusky right away. Instead he allowed him to come back one more year because it benefited Joe Pa. A decent person tells Sandusky to get out of Dodge. A decent person doesn't allow him to bring little kids to practices, games, and along on team transportation for the past 15 years. A decent human being doesn't offer a promotion in return for silence. A decent person who controls everything on that campus doesn't allow Sandusky to continue to live there, let alone have access to facilities. A decent person thinks to themselves, wait a minute why is this guy still around? I reported him, maybe I should follow up and see why nothing was done.

All the above is in ADDITION to not going to the police himself. If it were just that, maybe you can say Joe Pa did enough. But there is ZERO excuse for all his actions I listed above.

This might be the best summation yet. But so many people at PSU and even some of the talking heads that want to semi-defend Paterno, keep focusing only on the 2002 incident.

Shocking - all, if not most of the senior leadership at Penn State will be removed... except the one person who who built up the football empire which contributed to the set of circumstances that allowed for Sandusky to abuse those kids. JoePa is the ongoing symbol of this situation and YET, he chooses not to remove himself immediately. He's doing this for his players? He's doing this for the University? BS. If he was objective and cared about these things, he would realize that he is now, forever linked to this scandal and regardless of his involvement (or lack of action), he is symbolic of the set of circumstance which led to the abuse. He should do the honorable thing and remove himself from the scenario. He should begin the process of closure for the victims, the University, his players, etc. so that everyone can move on and focus on the positives (how to prevent this from ever happening again). It will be YEARS before Penn State and it's football program will overcome the tarnish of the scandal but that pales in comparison to amount of damage that has already been done to the victims and their families.

This might be the best summation yet. But so many people at PSU and even some of the talking heads that want to semi-defend Paterno, keep focusing only on the 2002 incident.

The 2002 incident is something that keeps going through my head too... no way it should have ever happened, since by 1998 there was documented history via Gricar's investigation. Even with no charges brought, Sandusky had admitted to inappropriate behavior. You can't tell me that Joe Paterno never knew about this. Sandusky's involvement with Second Mile and PSU should have been terminated then and there.

In one of the Second Mile articles, it specifically mentions that the organization knew of the 1998 investigation. Then consider the timing of Sandusky's "retirement" - this seems like a convenient off-the-books solution to the problem. No way that JoePa didn't know.

People focusing solely on 2002 are intentionally ignoring the fact that there was already documented history, which in my opinion is the MOST damning part of the story. If you know this man has a history, there is no possible way you can ignore allegations in 2002.

Another bizarre tangential hypothetical: The victim in the 2002 incident has never been identified. This may be far fetched, but what if McQuery knew about Sandusky's 1998 investigation and made up the 2002 incident to leverage a promotion from Paterno? I don't believe this to be true, but it would add another crazy twist to the story.

there was already documented history, which in my opinion is the MOST damning part of the story.

Agreed 100%.They already knew in 02 the were dealing with a pedophile.There's no excuse for passing the buck and being done with it.This is why I feel Paterno was the head of the conspiracy to cover it up.That guy is king down there and if he tells his boss to make it go away,it goes away.

alexgilliland91 Alex Gilliland

by Ben_Jones88

There it is. According to source, Graham Spanier has submitted his resignation. Official announcement should come after BOT meeting tonight

I never once claimed Paterno was some perfect or model human being and I said he handled the situation completely wrong. I said he was vocal about winning the correct way and I simply stated that he will always be a college football legend. I don't see how that is so terribly absurd. I'm just saying I'll always recognize him as a major contributor to college football and I wish he had been able to walk away when he felt it was necessary instead of being dragged through the dirt and grime on his way being pushed out. That's all.

How can you trust that he was "winning the correct way?" In my opinion, you have to completely and totally re-assess this guy's character based on his inaction. If he's willing to look the other way when it comes to one of the most heinous crimes a person can commit, what else is he willing to look the other way on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom