John Beilein | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Beilein

What did Beilein think was going to happen coaching the Cavaliers? Is it going to be a buyout or is he quitting altogether?

It’s possible he saw the NBA as the logical next step. In his career. The last challenge. He tried it, it didn’t work out, and now he knows.

I mean it’s not like he’s going to be hurting for money (or jobs, for that matter.)

Manning should have been years ago. I’m shocked every year when he returns but this has got to be it.

Agree. Wake Forest had about a 20 year run of being a really solid program but even since firing Dino Gaudio, they have been a mess this decade.

I could see Beilein hanging them up and doing some analyst work here and there. At 67 wondering if he would want to tackle a program like Wake or really any challenge frankly.

I could see Beilein hanging them up and doing some analyst work here and there. At 67 wondering if he would want to tackle a program like Wake or really any challenge frankly.

Well less than a year ago he was up for the challenge of the Cavaliers. I doubt he’s done, but as someone else pointed out above the timing is wrong for SU. We’ve got at least two years before we are ready to make a hire and I doubt very much that Belein is both available and interested in two years.

Well less than a year ago he was up for the challenge of the Cavaliers. I doubt he’s done, but as someone else pointed out above the timing is wrong for SU. We’ve got at least two years before we are ready to make a hire and I doubt very much that Belein is both available and interested in two years.

It doesn't really help us to bring in a guy at 70 replacing a legend at 80 either.

His kid's career could certainly use a revival. Maybe he takes a smaller job with lesser expectations than a Texas or Michigan and they run it together for a couple years outside of the national spotlight.

His kid's career could certainly use a revival. Maybe he takes a smaller job with lesser expectations than a Texas or Michigan and they run it together for a couple years outside of the national spotlight.
I was thinking the same thing. Take a job to give his son a re-start.

I don't think he comes back to college.

My opinion is that he left because he was tired of the shenanigans required to run a college program.

I could see him coming back to college if 1) he wants to go out on a higher note, 2) he genuinely loves coaching and/or 3) it’s a way to work with his son while helping “rehabilitate” his promising coaching career.

Boeheim is nearly a decade older. It ain’t always amount the money.

Head coach in the NBA is the least important coaching position in sports. It's why Riley and Phil never put themselves on a bench with bad rosters. Talent wins

A good coach doesn’t win you many NBA games but a bad one can lose a ton of them

I don't think he comes back to college.

My opinion is that he left because he was tired of the shenanigans required to run a college program.

That's very possible unless one of the majors like Kansas or Arizona were to become available.

Head coach in the NBA is the least important coaching position in sports. It's why Riley and Phil never put themselves on a bench with bad rosters. Talent wins
New Yuck Knicks and Phil?

I hope Jay Wright is watching this closely before there is any consideration of the Knicks.

What did Beilein think was going to happen coaching the Cavaliers? Is it going to be a buyout or is he quitting altogether?
I think he was hoping to get his hands on Zion or Morant.

It’s possible he saw the NBA as the logical next step. In his career. The last challenge. He tried it, it didn’t work out, and now he knows.

I mean it’s not like he’s going to be hurting for money (or jobs, for that matter.)

He picked one hell of a franchise to try it with. The veterans are disgruntled and wanted out before his hire. The kids left college to get away from his mindset. Doesn't help that he called them a bunch of thugs when breaking down game film which caused the team to revolt.

He picked one hell of a franchise to try it with. The veterans are disgruntled and wanted out before his hire. The kids left college to get away from his mindset. Doesn't help that he called them a bunch of thugs when breaking down game film which caused the team to revolt.

Agreed. Should’ve had the Raptors hire him imo.

I feel really bad for John. He's a genuinely good man. When I had the chance to speak with him at his hall of fame induction dinner at Canisius this past Fall, he seemed pretty excited about the challenge of coaching in the NBA. Will be interesting to see if he goes back to college to coach. Knowing how competitive coaches at his level are, I'd be willing to bet that this brief stint in Cleveland will not be how he wants his career to end.

Chances are he already has something pending if he’s willing to walk away from that kind of moolah.

Now he can call players thugs without them revolting or they'll lose their scholarships.

Now he can call players thugs without them revolting or they'll lose their scholarships.

That was an incredibly stupid, overblown "controversy." It doesn't even make sense in the context that he was speaking to call them thugs. Just a bunch of disgruntled sub-par players on a crappy team looking for a way to get rid of the coach who wants them to work hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom