John Bol is likely staying | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

John Bol is likely staying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that Howard W. would get more favorable playing time at a school like UB, Siena, Canisius, etc. I'm surprised he didn't get any offers from those type of schools.

My $.02 (and just compiling from various articles, watching games, and their season and post season trajectories): Covid really did a number on Joe and Buddy. It took a long time for them to get their strength and stamina back, especially Joe, given his asthma.
Last year’s regular season numbers should not be seen as career defining or indicative of who they are as players.

My $.02 (and just compiling from various articles, watching games, and their season and post season trajectories): Covid really did a number on Joe and Buddy. It took a long time for them to get their strength and stamina back, especially Joe, given his asthma.
Last year’s regular season numbers should not be seen as career defining or indicative of who they are as players.
I want to give players that had Covid the benefit of the doubt.

But when I do that, I have to question if Covid affected them so much, why on earth the coach was loading so many minutes on those players.

Last edited:
I want to give players that had Covid the benefit of the doubt.

But when I do that, I have to question of Covid affected them so much, why on earth the coach was loading so many minutes on those players.

This was the question that bugged me too. I mean in fairness, Richmond never looked fully healthy to me either with all the sideline cycle work so maybe we had 3 guys not 100 pct at G?

I can certainly attest to what it can do to you. If anything it's your focus associated with the physical ailments and then continues after physical symptoms disappear.

This was the question that bugged me too. I mean in fairness, Richmond never looked fully healthy to me either with all the sideline cycle work so maybe we had 3 guys not 100 pct at G?

I can certainly attest to what it can do to you. If anything it's your focus associated with the physical ailments and then continues after physical symptoms disappear.
It's almost like having 4 potentially playable scholarship guards might be a good thing for a roster.

Almost.

What’s funny about this thread, besides it becoming the 199th thread about Joe when it is a JBA thread, is the discussion about PGs and combos guards and recruiting so many combos and trying to make them PGs. Kadary wasn’t a PG. He showed he could play it. He was listed as a combo and even a wing. In fact, a couple places like 2-4-7 listed him as a SF.

What’s funny about this thread, besides it becoming the 199th thread about Joe when it is a JBA thread, is the discussion about PGs and combos guards and recruiting so many combos and trying to make them PGs. Kadary wasn’t a PG. He showed he could play it. He was listed as a combo and even a wing. In fact, a couple places like 2-4-7 listed him as a SF.
To my eye, Kadary was the definition of what a college PG should be. He was the best true PG we have had since Ennis.

Even this guy thought so:
Boeheim recently said that the 6-foot-5 Richmond is perhaps the team’s most impressive newbie in its 2020 class, calling him a “really good point guard.”

Kadary

He played point at Brewster

Good point in fairness he was seen as a PG more later on. Otherwise it's Ennis and Flynn. That's it. Everyone else wasn't a PG originally.

If MCW isn’t a pure PG what is he?

Scoop Jardine is a PG as well.

MCW was a combo guard who we recruited as a PG and spent a year waiting and learning and was a great PG for us. When he was recruited he wasn't a PG and neither was Scoop. I have no clue the point you are trying to make still when we have continued to pursue combos to convert them as PGs. Honestly you are really making this all about Joe and Kadary while throwing in all this other stuff that isn't accurate. What else besides the recruiting analysts and HS roles do you need?

Your point was recruiting true PGs..I mentioned we have at least two since 09 despite our best years being behind the stewardship of converted PGs. You are bouncing all over after that including throwing the roster management stuff, claiming things that weren't said. As a program we have had some misses in the Combo to PG conversions for sure. I mean my first post on this separate topic was clear.

He did. He was late to that role and he even said so much in interviews even if he was very good at it. That was why I included him with Ennis and Flynn.

It's almost like having 4 potentially playable scholarship guards might be a good thing for a roster.

Almost.

I mean the Irish jig was worth a few points still...

I think the reality of having that on a roster now will be that it's not the case with the portal

I mean the Irish jig was worth a few points still...

I think the reality of having that on a roster now will be that it's not the case with the portal
I'm not so sure.

I mean, maybe for us.

But not all coaches are as set on who can earn minutes, or play as short a rotation.

To my eye, Kadary was the definition of what a college PG should be. He was the best true PG we have had since Ennis.

Even this guy thought so:
Boeheim recently said that the 6-foot-5 Richmond is perhaps the team’s most impressive newbie in its 2020 class, calling him a “really good point guard.”

Kadary

that wasn’t the point.

that’s where he ended up. But not where he played when we first started watching him. Even Griff said he could play 3 positions for SU.

I'm not so sure.

I mean, maybe for us.

But not all coaches are as set on who can earn minutes, or play as short a rotation.

Yeah I honestly think it's not even about that anymore. We will see where it lands but there a ton of teams who won't go that deep or deeper unless they run 3 guard lineups. The 4th guy wants to be the third guy is what I mean.. not even splitting with the third guy... And of course the third guy doesn't want it to be 3a/3b.. so one of them says it's portal time. At least that is my take from looking at what has happened and how teams aren't filling their rosters out

Yeah I honestly think it's not even about that anymore. We will see where it lands but there a ton of teams who won't go that deep or deeper unless they run 3 guard lineups. The 4th guy wants to be the third guy is what I mean.. not even splitting with the third guy... And of course the third guy doesn't want it to be 3a/3b.. so one of them says it's portal time. At least that is my take from looking at what has happened and how teams aren't filling their rosters out
I think this is a weird year because it has the combo of a) extra eligibility due to the Covid year and b) the first time immediate eligibility for transfers is available.

I just don't buy that coaches are intentionally going to leave scholarships unfilled long term. Coaches win with talent. They're shooting themselves in the foot if they don't try to stuff as much talent on to their roster as possible. They'll adjust to the churn, even if it means scholly spots 8-13 are a revolving door. There are coaches that'll fill those spots and treat it like a lottery so that if they hit, great, if not, whatever, the player is going to bounce and they'll get new lotto tickets the next year.

Plus, when it comes to the 4th guy being unhappy... they're not going to be happier being a guy without a hoops scholarship somewhere.

These things are going to settle.

that’s where he ended up. But not where he played when we first started watching him. Even Griff said he could play 3 positions for SU.
I know super talented kid.

Yeah, i hear you, you had multiple points. But I was responding specifically to this:

when we started our recruitment of him. I’m not sure he played any in HS and only started playing it when at Brewster and still some analysts called him a combo and griffin said he could play 3 positions for SU. That doesn’t fit people’s definition of a pure PG although that’s what he became for the most part.

MCW was a combo guard who we recruited as a PG and spent a year waiting and learning and was a great PG for us. When he was recruited he wasn't a PG and neither was Scoop. I have no clue the point you are trying to make still when we have continued to pursue combos to convert them as PGs. Honestly you are really making this all about Joe and Kadary while throwing in all this other stuff that isn't accurate. What else besides the recruiting analysts and HS roles do you need?

Your point was recruiting true PGs..I mentioned we have at least two since 09 despite our best years being behind the stewardship of converted PGs. You are bouncing all over after that including throwing the roster management stuff, claiming things that weren't said. As a program we have had some misses in the Combo to PG conversions for sure. I mean my first post on this separate topic was clear.
MCW played 10 minutes a game as a point guard on a 30-1 team.
He wasn’t out playing shooting guard.

when we started our recruitment of him. I’m not sure he played any in HS and only started playing it when at Brewster and still some analysts called him a combo and griffin said he could play 3 positions for SU. That doesn’t fit people’s definition of a pure PG although that’s what he became for the most part.
Stop it.
A pure point guard is exactly the type a point guard Kadary Richmond is.
Somebody can run a fast break, has length to play the top of the zone, can beat his guy off the dribble in the half court , and make an occasional shot outside of the paint as well.

It’s not hard to get the point. It doesn’t matter if we recruited Richmond to play three positions we found a pure point guars that’s all that matters.

Do it again. More guards like him the better off we’ll be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors