John Odierna hired as new DC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Odierna hired as new DC

IMG_5806.jpeg

Other than Figueiras, Dwan and maybe Rice, who are these ACC caliber defensive players?

Saam Olexo and Matt Wright definitely fit this category. Steven Schmitt comes from the MAAC but he should still be very good. Depending on this mystery injury Donny Scott should fit the mold.

The rest of the defense is probably not up to snuff compared to other ACC defenses but should still be an upgrade over what Odierna was working with at Manhattan.

Saam Olexo and Matt Wright definitely fit this category. Steven Schmitt comes from the MAAC but he should still be very good. Depending on this mystery injury Donny Scott should fit the mold.

The rest of the defense is probably not up to snuff compared to other ACC defenses but should still be an upgrade over what Odierna was working with at Manhattan.
I’d add Will Mark to that list too. ;)

Clary and Caccamo are quality as well. Maybe not at the level where you want them to be your best defender but still quite good. I only really worry about ssdm aside from Rice. We have so many options at long pole that whoever emerges as the starting 4 should all be quality. I am pretty high on Schmitt as well.

I've watched some of his youtube videos and he struck me as a someone who would be cool to play for. A players coach. I don't see how anyone can say he's not a good recruiter. He's been at Manhattan not exactly a destination. I think he'll be great recruiter based on his personality, seems like he's a great dude.

In watching his defensive vids, I loved how he coaches defense. I think there's a vid out their called Manhattan Toughness Drills. Go watch it. I happened to watch it a few months ago and loved it. We want to "create collisions" he says. There's also a line in the video where he says "I want the guy bringing the absolute hate" ..."you get bonus points if you get shin" he says jokingly but you know he's not really joking.

Just awesome imo to hear a coach say those things. That’s coaching a tough defense. He's a blue collar defensive coach exactly what Syracuse needs.

This looks like a great hire imo.

Last edited:
For those of you close, any word on how the players feel about the hire?

This ended well for all involved. Petro gets to be with kids, SU gets a bright young mind who is probably a better fit with G. I know there is the recruiting concern but i think hes going to do well.

IMG_6043.jpeg

No inside info, but judging from Joey's post earlier today, I'd assume most are happy/on board. Which, IMO they should be because we are getting a fantastic coach that's not only going to make them better, but get this team some more wins and hopefully back to championship weekend on an annual basis.

Judging from the post IL made regarding Odierna, a few others liked the post (that I can see) are: Mulè, Dwan, Olexo, Richiusa, and Tenaglia. There are probably some more as well that I am missing. Judging from that, I'd say they were happy but, if anyone more close to the program has anything more to add that would be great!

For those of you close, any word on how the players feel about the hire?
i doubt many of them are that familiar with him to have an informed opinion right now

i doubt many of them are that familiar with him to have an informed opinion right now
View attachment 229764

No inside info, but judging from Joey's post earlier today, I'd assume most are happy/on board. Which, IMO they should be because we are getting a fantastic coach that's not only going to make them better, but get this team some more wins and hopefully back to championship weekend on an annual basis.

Judging from the post IL made regarding Odierna, a few others liked the post (that I can see) are: Mulè, Dwan, Olexo, Richiusa, and Tenaglia. There are probably some more as well that I am missing. Judging from that, I'd say they were happy but, if anyone more close to the program has anything more to add that would be great!
I'm sure virtually all of the players know nothing about the guy. A few likes on social media just represents kids doing what they feel they should.

I think the only view we can all take is that we hope it works out. Nobody has a crystal ball and success at Manhattan doesn't prove anything. I do think it will be nice for the boys to have a younger coach who seems to be a good communicator.

I'm sure virtually all of the players know nothing about the guy. A few likes on social media just represents kids doing what they feel they should.

I think the only view we can all take is that we hope it works out. Nobody has a crystal ball and success at Manhattan doesn't prove anything. I do think it will be nice for the boys to have a younger coach who seems to be a good communicator.
Being a good communicator is pretty important. Some of this generation can’t handle Petros old school communication style and it showed on the field and on the sideline. Hoping for a cohesive defensive unit. A lot of work ahead.

Being a good communicator is pretty important. Some of this generation can’t handle Petros old school communication style and it showed on the field and on the sideline. Hoping for a cohesive defensive unit. A lot of work ahead.

Odierna has a big presence on YouTube (as evidence by a lot of posters sharing different clips he's featured in). It looks like he hosted his own podcast called Back It Up with help from an assistant from BU. He also got a lot of screen time on the FLG podcast. Seems like he hasn't done much since he was elevated to head coach at Manhattan a year ago, and most of the videos I've seen are older than that, but there's still a lot to learn about him from them.

I thought this interview was the best I've seen. It's mostly him explaining his journey as a coach, from playing at Gettysburg (where he played 'Big Boy Lacrosse"), to Colby College (hard to recruit to middle of nowhere Maine, sounds like he did it anyway), to Stevens (where he learned how to coach zone defense), and ultimately to Manhattan. At Colby, what was pretty remarkable is that the head coach left which put Odierna in a bind, the school essentially told him not to worry about recruiting but he did it anyway, even with no assurances he'd still be there for the following season. Made a big impression on the Stevens coaches who ultimately hired him for his next job.

In regards to the communication comment by DMV, what struck me is that Odierna, in this video says he and the Jasper coaches would meet with each player of the team each week for check ins (starts at 46 min mark). It sounds like him being connected to his players is VERY important to him. He mentions the motto (he loves mottos), "They don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care". I think Gait sort of haves the reputation as being maybe a little distant or removed, this does not seem to be the case with Odierna. At all. I know this is a big step up for Oderina but everything I've read and seen from him is super impressive. I think he'll be able to fill a lot of the Petro roles pretty well and maybe in some ways be better. We shall see but to me this is a very exciting hire.

Do these guys have the schedule or are they guessing?

I haven't finished the whole thing. Are you talking about Cornell being added? I couldn't tell if they were guessing or if they have concrete info. I think they mentioned Hopkins being played in Charlotte (we've known that for a while now), they thought that Maryland was off the scheduled (and maybe playing Duke) and maybe playing Army. Those were the only comments I remembering hearing them make about the schedule.

I couldn't tell if they have someone in the know or are just reading off internet rumors/guessing. Maybe I missed something. Most of the comments seemed like deductive reasoning except for the Maryland playing Duke thing.

I haven't finished the whole thing. Are you talking about Cornell being added? I couldn't tell if they were guessing or if they have concrete info. I think they mentioned Hopkins being played in Charlotte (we've known that for a while now), they thought that Maryland was off the scheduled (and maybe playing Duke) and maybe playing Army. Those were the only comments I remembering hearing them make about the schedule.

I couldn't tell if they have someone in the know or are just reading off internet rumors/guessing. Maybe I missed something. Most of the comments seemed like deductive reasoning except for the Maryland playing Duke thing.

Maryland series was just a home and home so unless a new agreement is signed its over. I suspect one of Army or Cornell will be added back to the schedule, not sure about both. Cornell seems like the favorite to be back.

No idea. Thought we were still playing Maryland but they said Cornell replaced them. Looked like they were looking at a computer. Made me think they had it.

Good convo here with Xanders. It's clear he's a big fan of Odierna (or JO as he calls him). The biggest news nugget I gleamed was Odierna and Pat March are buddies (graduated same year from college, both DIII guys) and that he summerized that at least March would have at least advocated for Odierna. Nice to hear he has connection with March. I had wondered given their simmilar ages if a rivalry of sorts might develop. But if they are already friends sounds like everyone would be on the same page. Worth a listen, it's about a 20 min convo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom