John Wildhack named new SU AD | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack named new SU AD

John Wildhack
Wildhack_bio.jpg

Executive Vice President, Programming & Production

John Wildhack, who joined ESPN in its first year of operation, was named to the newly created position of executive vice president, programming and production, in January 2014.

Hewill now oversee all ESPN production efforts, as well as programming acquisitions, rights holder relationship management and scheduling. The role combines his two areas of expertise, since throughout his ESPN career Wildhack has held a wide variety of programming and production management roles.

Wildhack served as executive vice president, production, since January 2012. In that role, he was responsible for all ESPN and ABC game, event and studio production work for domestic and international television and radio networks.

Having cut his ESPN teeth rising quickly through the ranks in remote production, Wildhack holds the distinction of producing ESPN’s first live NFL game, Chicago at Miami (August 1987), and its first live regular-season college football game, Brigham Young vs. Pittsburgh (September 1984).

From 1994 – January 2012, Wildhack held top executive positions in the programming department. Since March 2007, he had served as executive vice president, programming and acquisitions, overseeing all rights negotiations and managing relationships with rights holders for all ESPN entities. These include ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, ESPN International, ESPN Radio, ESPN.com, ESPN3, ESPN Mobile Properties, print and more. In 2009, he added responsibility for strategic program planning for all the ESPN television networks, ESPN on ABC and ESPN’s digital platforms.

While leading programming, Wildhack’s efforts were integral in the increase of live and original programming on ESPN and ESPN2, close to 10,000 hours. Under his direction, the evolution of ESPN2’s programming lineup included an extensive commitment to auto racing, college football and basketball, leading to ESPN2 becoming the fastest growing network of the 1990s. Wildhack was also directly involved in the renewal and expansion of many ESPN and ESPN2 programming agreements including NFL, MLB, NBA, the Bowl Championship Series, NCAA, tennis’ four Grand Slam events and a variety of major college conferences.

Wildhack joined ESPN as a production assistant in 1980. He was promoted to associate producer in 1982, to senior associate producer in 1983 and to producer in 1985. Among the sports he worked on were college football, NCAA basketball, boxing, golf and auto racing. He served as coordinating producer of ESPN’s Sunday Night NFL and NFL Draft telecasts in 1988 and 1989 and produced NFL games for the network – the first NFL games on cable – from 1987-89. From 1990-91 he was director, event productions, and vice president, remote production from 1991-1993. He then was promoted to senior vice president, remote production.

In September 1994, he moved to the programming department as senior vice president, programming, and in 2005 he became senior vice president, programming acquisitions & strategy.

A native of Buffalo, N.Y., Wildhack received a bachelor of arts degree in telecommunications in 1980 from Syracuse University.

Interesting.

Given the two major sports are doing well (or will be) his expertise in business relationships and "branding" (or if you prefer: identity and advertising) - should come in handy.

If true, I like.

John Wildhack
Wildhack_bio.jpg

Executive Vice President, Programming & Production

John Wildhack, who joined ESPN in its first year of operation, was named to the newly created position of executive vice president, programming and production, in January 2014.

Hewill now oversee all ESPN production efforts, as well as programming acquisitions, rights holder relationship management and scheduling. The role combines his two areas of expertise, since throughout his ESPN career Wildhack has held a wide variety of programming and production management roles.

Wildhack served as executive vice president, production, since January 2012. In that role, he was responsible for all ESPN and ABC game, event and studio production work for domestic and international television and radio networks.

Having cut his ESPN teeth rising quickly through the ranks in remote production, Wildhack holds the distinction of producing ESPN’s first live NFL game, Chicago at Miami (August 1987), and its first live regular-season college football game, Brigham Young vs. Pittsburgh (September 1984).

From 1994 – January 2012, Wildhack held top executive positions in the programming department. Since March 2007, he had served as executive vice president, programming and acquisitions, overseeing all rights negotiations and managing relationships with rights holders for all ESPN entities. These include ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, ESPN International, ESPN Radio, ESPN.com, ESPN3, ESPN Mobile Properties, print and more. In 2009, he added responsibility for strategic program planning for all the ESPN television networks, ESPN on ABC and ESPN’s digital platforms.

While leading programming, Wildhack’s efforts were integral in the increase of live and original programming on ESPN and ESPN2, close to 10,000 hours. Under his direction, the evolution of ESPN2’s programming lineup included an extensive commitment to auto racing, college football and basketball, leading to ESPN2 becoming the fastest growing network of the 1990s. Wildhack was also directly involved in the renewal and expansion of many ESPN and ESPN2 programming agreements including NFL, MLB, NBA, the Bowl Championship Series, NCAA, tennis’ four Grand Slam events and a variety of major college conferences.

Wildhack joined ESPN as a production assistant in 1980. He was promoted to associate producer in 1982, to senior associate producer in 1983 and to producer in 1985. Among the sports he worked on were college football, NCAA basketball, boxing, golf and auto racing. He served as coordinating producer of ESPN’s Sunday Night NFL and NFL Draft telecasts in 1988 and 1989 and produced NFL games for the network – the first NFL games on cable – from 1987-89. From 1990-91 he was director, event productions, and vice president, remote production from 1991-1993. He then was promoted to senior vice president, remote production.

In September 1994, he moved to the programming department as senior vice president, programming, and in 2005 he became senior vice president, programming acquisitions & strategy.

A native of Buffalo, N.Y., Wildhack received a bachelor of arts degree in telecommunications in 1980 from Syracuse University.

Don't know the guy and could be totally off base, but based on that bio... no thanks. We need a fundraiser with connections - and maybe this guy has that ability, who knows. Also, zero administrative experience at collegiate level.

sign me up. Something different, local Buffalo guy, alum. Seems like the type who won't leave after 12 months.

TV is essentially the entire revenue stream at this point. May as well have a tv guy running the point then.

The ACC would need to bring in professional debriefers.

Hmm, checks off the box of being a "Syracuse guy" for sure and has experience in college sports. Resume seems to me a bit too TV heavy though, especially since it was thought that tv/cable model was going away with cord cutters, etc.

Might be good (at least temporary) news for remaining staff in the SUAD since he wouldn't be bringing his staff from another school.

SUFan44 said:
Don't know the guy and could be totally off base, but based on that bio... no thanks. We need a fundraiser with connections - and maybe this guy has that ability, who knows. Also, zero administrative experience at collegiate level.

If he can handle production and acquisitions as a VP at ESPN, he can handle administrative experience at the collegiate level.

I'd bet he has more than a few connections. Way more out of the gate than Coyle.

One thing to remember is that the last time we hired an AD, nobody had Coyle's name before it happened. Just a thought.

Thamel apparently still getting the heads up on big SU news.

Brian Orange said:
Hmm, checks off the box of being a "Syracuse guy" for sure and has experience in college sports. Resume seems to me a bit too TV heavy though, especially since it was thought that tv/cable model was going away with cord cutters, etc.

He rode the ESPN TV golden age - not his fault that the tv/cable model is getting eaten by the Internet. Newspapers, magazines, bookstores, blockbuster, music industry, all say hi.

Worked in programming at ESPN for 6 years, and I got to know Wildhack pretty well, so I figured I'd share my thoughts.

Great man for the job, if this ends up happening. VERY highly regarded in Bristol. He's on track to become president of the company once Skipper retires (which is why I'm a bit puzzled at this move for him). Really really smart guy. It would be a huge loss for the worldwide leader. He also BLEEDS Orange. First time I met him, I mentioned I had gone to Syracuse, and he spoke to me for 20 minutes about everything Cuse. As much as I'm puzzled at him potentially giving up the ESPN Prez job...he loves Cuse as much as we do.

One other note...he's also a really nice person. Sometimes he would randomly host lunches for employees where he'd sit with a few of them, and he'd discuss everything (rights deals they were working on, his ideas for future projects, etc). He would also ask for suggestions on what the network could improve. Very transparent with everyone in programming...which I can tell you absolutely does not happen at every company. Always generous with his time. My experience at ESPN wasn't 100% enjoyable, but Wildhack is definitely one of the better individuals there.

If this does happen...I'd personally be thrilled for him and Cuse.

heresjohnny88 said:
Worked in programming at ESPN for 6 years, and I got to know Wildhack pretty well, so I figured I'd share my thoughts. Great man for the job, if this ends up happening. VERY highly regarded in Bristol. He's on track to become president of the company once Skipper retires (which is why I'm a bit puzzled at this move for him). Really really smart guy. It would be a huge loss for the worldwide leader. He also BLEEDS Orange. First time I met him, I mentioned I had gone to Syracuse, and he spoke to me for 20 minutes about everything Cuse. As much as I'm puzzled at him potentially giving up the ESPN Prez job...he loves Cuse as much as we do. One other note...he's also a really nice person. Sometimes he would randomly host lunches for employees where he'd sit with a few of them, and he'd discuss everything (rights deals they were working on, his ideas for future projects, etc). He would also ask for suggestions on what the network could improve. Very transparent with everyone in programming...which I can tell you absolutely does not happen at every company. Always generous with his time. My experience at ESPN wasn't 100% enjoyable, but Wildhack is definitely one of the better individuals there. If this does happen...I'd personally be thrilled for him and Cuse.

Done deal.

My friend used to work in programming.

I like it a lot. Lots of positives here, not a lot of negatives. Just to hit on a few posts above, my thought is this guy would be a tremendous fundraiser. Has connections, can obviously network and build relationships

I am thinking Mike Tirico being Mr. ESPN up until last week might have been the middle man to seal this deal and bring the two parties together

I am thinking Mike Tirico being Mr. ESPN up until last week might have been the middle man to seal this deal and bring the two parties together
Interesting thought. Wasn't Tirico all in on the Under Armor guy though.

jr4750 said:
Interesting thought. Wasn't Tirico all in on the Under Armor guy though.
He sure was.

cuseguy said:
Wildhack owns a house in Syracuse.

Didn't he or a son used to post here? I'm pretty sure someone in the family did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom