John Wildhack Presser Tues 11 AM | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack Presser Tues 11 AM

I hate to be THAT guy but hopefully they closely checked the spelling and accuracy on everything they post on the athletics website and distribute to the media today. I'd hate to have something silly take the spotlight off the day.

Wonder if he'll address the Dome Renovation ?
18 minutes left for speculation. Here are my guesses as to what he's really thinking (but won't say outright):

1. The Dome reno's going to be a 2 year construction mess and the actual cost is going to soar over $400M;
2. The ACC's conference leadership, and its media rights situation, are totally dysfunctional and the nepotism and cronyism have to be rooted out before we can get on the same footing for a linear ACC cable channel as the B1G and Pac12; and
3. I'm glad the coaching hire's completed b/c I'm a media guy and would prefer to watch FB succeed so I can concentrate on fundraising, driving revenue and protecting media rights.

Last edited:
I don't expect much in the way of facilities talk, maybe a couple of generalities but nothing more.

Syracuse Athletics ‏@Cuse
Acting AD Dan French at the podium. Says his primary goal now is to facilitate John Wildhack's transition.

French feels the search for Wildhack as @Cuse AD went 'quickly and smoothly'

Syracuse interim AD Dan French said he'll spend the next couple weeks helping new AD John Wildhack adjust to the job.

Dan French says he has enjoyed his run as interim AD but is looking forward to returning back to general counsel office.

French says SU "super fortunate" to land John Wildhack out of a group of tremendously talented candidates.

Syracuse FAR Rick Burton speaking now. Emphasizing SU's balance of athletics and academics.

Rick Burton compliments the hiring of Coach Babers in reference to having great coaches.

Burton praises Wildhack's ability to "transcend" decades as media has evolved

FAR Rick Burton emphasizes Wildhack's ties to SU, his commitment to excellence and his work in the ever-changing world of sports media.

Syracuse WBB player Brittney Sykes speaking now. She was on the search committee. Said John Wildhack was most impressive, noted SU grad.

Brittney Sykes said Wildhack treated her as equal during search. His rep is that he lacks major ego, is very down to earth.

Sykes also thanked the athletic department for helping her through her ACL injuries

SU women's basketball player Brittney Sykes says John Wildhack will be a 'great voice for Syracuse'

Brittney Sykes introduces Chancelor Kent Syverud.

Syverud praises Herm Frazier and Dan French.

SU Chancellor Syverud addressing the crowd now. Calls the search for Wildhack quick, but a 'through and very careful one'

Syverud references Korn Ferry, which operated as the search firm.

Syracuse Chancellor Kent Syverud mentions SU's 21st-place finish in the Director's Cup, two national titles.

Syverud calls John Wildhack a 'dedicated leader with an ability to motivate and inspire' citing his time at @espn

Chancellor Syverud: "today is an exciting day for Syracuse University." Says Wildhack's ability to motivate "lifted ESPN for decades."

Syverud on John Wildhack: 'There were many excellent candidates. I believe we could not have made a finer choice.'

Syverud: "To say his family bleeds Orange would be an understatement." Cites several family members who have attended @SyracuseU

Syracuse's new AD John Wildhack is at the podium now. 'It is great to be home'

Syracuse AD John Wildhack thanking SU staffers, introducing family. Spoke w/ wife Amy and kids: "This has to be a we decision, not a me."

Wildhack thanks his boss at @espn, John Skipper. 'I'm eternally grateful for his support and all my ESPN colleagues.'

Wildhack: 'Syracuse Athletics is in a position of strength.'

Wildhack touts #Cuse success on and off the field. 63 % of S-As had better than 3.0 GPA in 2015-16.

Wildhack: 'I have quickly learned we have a terrific group of head coaches who are deeply committed to our student-athletes.'

Wildhack: "We want our program to be a point of pride.'

Wildhack thanks the fans for their support of @Cuse athletics. Remembers his time at Archbold and in Sept 1980 at opening of Carrier Dome.

Wildhack: "I'm honored. I'm humbled. And I cannot wait to get started."

New Syracuse AD John Wildhack asked about longevity. Mentions being an SU grad, Buffalo native. "CNY is important to me and my family."

Wildhack points out that the Syracuse brand is recognized nationally and internationally. Says "best days for this university are ahead."

Wildhack on football: "We are going to go spread and go faster than anyone else. "

Syracuse AD John Wildhack raves about football coach Dino Babers' philosophy w/ systems on offense (hurry-up spread) and defense (Tampa 2).

Wildhack said several experts/analysts at ESPN reached out to Wildhack when Babers was hired to tell him that Babers would be a great coach

Wildhack: "The love I have for this University is significant."

Wildhack: "It feels so right. It feels so right."

New Syracuse AD John Wildhack said SU MBB coach Jim Boeheim used to go to his grandpa's store to buy soda as a kid.

Wildhack on Boeheim: "No one is more dedicated to Syracuse University and the community than Jim and his wife, Juli.

New Syracuse AD John Wildhack says he'll sit down with Dino Babers about non-conference football scheduling.

Wildhack asked about Boeheim-Hopkins succession plan. Cites both coaches commitment. 'We want to navigate that as best as we can.'

Wildhack is done at the podium. Now taking photos with family.

Last edited:
Tried the Cuse.com link ... won't load. Grrrrr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom