John Wildhack | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack

JW is acutely aware of what the fans think. Hopefully, his decision making process is not driven by anything that is posted on the forum. I am not implying that no one here knows what they are talking about. We have several plugged in posters who clearly know the game and what needs to be done based on what we think we know.

JW frequently uses the analogy that it takes a long time to turn a battleship. There are many factors at play here as to why this is the case. One of those factors is recruiting and, more specifically, the impact that facilities have on that issue.
It takes a long time to turn a battleship, but not this long. You can at least see that a battleship is starting to turn, we on the other hand seem to be going in the wrong direction and do not even no where the turn is.

It takes a long time to turn a battleship, but not this long. You can at least see that a battleship is starting to turn, we on the other hand seem to be going in the wrong direction and do not even no where the turn is.

The battleship has started to turn. Unfortunately is is headed in the wrong direction. We need to correct our course ASAP before it takes even longer to correct. Hopefully Dino can achieve that correction. But if it becomes apparent that he cannot, it will be time to change captains.

You can’t keep firing coaches every four or five years.

You have to recognize the inherent limitations with our program.

And, you have to the coach you have selected some time - just as Jake gave Coach Mac time.

This year is obviously an unusual year.

You just can’t make judgements off of what has occurred in the context of COVID
Exactly how long should we keep a coach who does not get it done? It seems to me the better teams in FBS are really quick to pull the trigger on that.

Exactly how long should we keep a coach who does not get it done? It seems to me the better teams in FBS are really quick to pull the trigger on that.

The guy had a top 15 finish here. If this team were all upperclassmen and crapping the bed sure. It's not. For whatever reasons.

South Carolina firing Muschamp isn't going to make them better. Firing people is easy.

We aren’t “the better teams”. Why should we conduct business like them?

A lots of schools are

I know this. The landscape is changing. SU will have to adjust a lot of things.

However, schools like LeMoyne, St. John Fisher, and many of the private schools in Buffalo, are in much worse shape and will go well before Syracuse.

That is a doom & gloom post if I've ever seen one.

It should be fairly obvious that JW feels that DB can get the job done (or is our best chance at getting the job done). There are "things" that have been done behind the scenes, with more to come, that the decision makers feel will level the playing field relative to our "peers" in the ACC. The rest will up to DB.

That's probably not the answer many here want or the speed that they want it to happen. But, I think this is the direction we are going to take.

It should be fairly obvious that JW feels that DB can get the job done (or is our best chance at getting the job done). There are "things" that have been done behind the scenes, with more to come, that the decision makers feel will level the playing field relative to our "peers" in the ACC. The rest will up to DB.

That's probably not the answer many here want or the speed that they want it to happen. But, I think this is the direction we are going to take.

The question is why has Dino brought us back to 2005 level O talent? He shouldn't be doing so poorly when compared to his predecessor. Those things you mention explains why we have less talent than our peers but doesn't explain the talent regression when compared to prior HCs at SU.

The question is why has Dino brought us back to 2005 level O talent? He shouldn't be doing so poorly when compared to his predecessor. Those things you mention explains why we have less talent than our peers but doesn't explain the talent regression when compared to prior HCs at SU.

Respectfully, that is NOT the question. That is your perception/opinion of what is happening. If that perception was shared by the AD, I don't think DB would be given the benefit of the doubt. Again, JW feels that DB can get the job done (or is our best chance at getting the job done). They are trying to address some of the obstacles to recruiting.

You sunk my Battleship

I know this. The landscape is changing. SU will have to adjust a lot of things.

However, schools like LeMoyne, St. John Fisher, and many of the private schools in Buffalo, are in much worse shape and will go well before Syracuse.

That is a doom & gloom post if I've ever seen one.
My niece got a 1570 on her SATs (wife's side) and she took the year off, we are paying her to deal with my kids two days a week so I can work (wife teaches)

If that kid isn't bothering with school this year, I can't imagine marginal students saying thinking it's a good bargain to pay a zillion dollars to take crappy online classes and have no fun

That’s ridiculous, if the full roster was available that would be one thing, and the actual roster in 2005 was so much better than that record

Dino is a better coach by orders of magnitude

My niece got a 1570 on her SATs (wife's side) and she took the year off, we are paying her to deal with my kids two days a week so I can work (wife teaches)

If that kid isn't bothering with school this year, I can't imagine marginal students saying thinking it's a good bargain to pay a zillion dollars to take crappy online classes and have no fun

Smart kid

There were several posters here, some prominent and typically reasonable posters, who were absolutely certain that Marrone would NEVER get another coaching job after Buffalo. I wouldn't be so certain that he will not get a 3rd HC gig. There are other factors at play in Jacksonville. But, I have no idea how that is perceived by the rest of the other general managers in the league.

I would take Marrone back here as HC in NY minute. I also think that is a pipe dream.
I really want to dig out the post from when he was rumored to go the bills where I predicted him ending up like mularkey in buffalo (both walked away, never made the playoffs, and fans didn't mind that they left) before hoping the jaguars settle for him

A lot of students are taking GAP years but the only reason to really do it is you want to push the clock back on the economy recovering and having a better job market.

Distance learning really isn’t that much different than in person teaching in college. It’s all Socratic method in college nowadays.
You teach yourself and how motivated the student is determines how well they do.

If I were of college age now I would either demand college cost be a lot cheaper in distance learning setting or just sit out the year. Paying full price right now is theft.

I really want to dig out the post from when he was rumored to go the bills where I predicted him ending up like mularkey in buffalo (both walked away, never made the playoffs, and fans didn't mind that they left) before hoping the jaguars settle for him
Honest question - were you one of the posters who were positive that Marrone would never be a HC in the NFL again?

Honest question - were you one of the posters who were positive that Marrone would never be a HC in the NFL again?
No, i said he'd hope someone terrible like the jags settle for him

Reactions: 007
Respectfully, that is NOT the question. That is your perception/opinion of what is happening. If that perception was shared by the AD, I don't think DB would be given the benefit of the doubt. Again, JW feels that DB can get the job done (or is our best chance at getting the job done). They are trying to address some of the obstacles to recruiting.

When have we had worse O talent? Babers had more to work with when he took over. Shafer had more to work with when he took over. Marrone had more to work with when he took over. GRob years were a mess for O talent. We are back to that point on O. The D is a different story. We aren't seeing flashes the last 22 games from the OL. From the WRs. From the QBs. Tucker is the only real bright spot over that span.

No, i said he'd hope someone terrible like the jags settle for him

The like is for your epic exchange with Townie in that link.

In fairness to Marrone, he took that terrible jags team to their 1st playoff appearance in 10 years and was one win away from the SB.

Someone said we shouldn't be the worst P5 team but like why not? Terrible recruiting area. Terrible last 20 years. Basketball school no matter who wants to argue. Only just now improving the facilities to a respectable level. Smallish private school.

It's a major uphill climb.

The guy had a top 15 finish here. If this team were all upperclassmen and crapping the bed sure. It's not. For whatever reasons.

South Carolina firing Muschamp isn't going to make them better. Firing people is easy.
real question is Keeping people is easier, firing someone is pretty hard. The

I do not know if he can get it done or not, the point is he is not getting it done. I do not expect him to get it, done after watching him for 5 years. JW will I am sure give him at least next year and maybe till end of current contract, but I have not seen anything that gives me confidence in him getting it done.

Someone said we shouldn't be the worst P5 team but like why not? Terrible recruiting area. Terrible last 20 years. Basketball school no matter who wants to argue. Only just now improving the facilities to a respectable level. Smallish private school.

It's a major uphill climb.
We’ll see how true that is when our hall of fame coach of five decades isn’t on the sideline

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom