John Wildhack | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack

Just give Marrone the HC job if he will come back.
I wouldn’t want Dino having final say on gameplans and pissing off Marrone.

The only reasons Marrone would come back here would a HC paycheck and he loves SU.
He won’t make more than a couple hundred thousand a year as a pro position coach. With less stress as well.

It’s sad we are at the stage we need Marrone again.

Part of the issue with firing a HC is paying off the old one and paying for the new one. Marrone has plenty of money, he could in theory do SU a solid and defer a bunch of income to help pay out Dino. I don't think Marrone wants to be HC here but if he did, we could work something out. Will be interesting to see if Dino fails again next year and if Marrone is unemployed what happens?

My biggest concern during Babers' tenure was his inability to parley 10-3 into a top notch recruiting class.

For me, my biggest concern is his epic failure in getting a QB here since Devito. You know, football is a contact sport I heard, and it's quite likely for a player at that most critical position to miss some time due to injury, not to mention to foster a better competitive environment. The fact that Culpepper was our best option after Devito in Dino's 5th year really speaks for itself. It's actually quite alarming vs. concerning. :(

I suspect we would hear Marrone laughing from hundreds of miles away if he was asked that.
If Marrone is financially set sure.
Marrone isn’t getting a 3rd NFL HC job. He will find NFL employment for sure.

I may hate a job but if my options are doing a less stressful job for 10 times less than a more stressful job I don’t like it’s not an absolute.
Plus their are other factors new management at the old job you hate.

My biggest concern during Babers' tenure was his inability to parley 10-3 into a top notch recruiting class.

Luke Benson
Matthew Bergeron
Mikel Jones
Geoff Cantin-Arku
Aman Greenwood
Garrett Williams
Lee Kpogba
Steve Linton
Courtney Jackson
Darius Tisdale
Drew Tuazama

Adrian Cole
Ishmael Goulbourne
Jason Munoz
David Summers

Jawhar Jordan (Injured)
Joe Rondi (Injured)
Anthony Red (Injured)
Cornelius Nunn (Injured)

Cooper Dawson (Opt out)

Garrison Johnson (Transfer)
Kevin Mital (Transfer)

Luke Benson
Matthew Bergeron
Mikel Jones
Geoff Cantin-Arku
Aman Greenwood
Garrett Williams
Lee Kpogba
Steve Linton
Courtney Jackson
Darius Tisdale
Drew Tuazama

Adrian Cole
Ishmael Goulbourne
Jason Munoz
David Summers

Jawhar Jordan (Injured)
Joe Rondi (Injured)
Anthony Red (Injured)
Cornelius Nunn (Injured)

Cooper Dawson (Opt out)

Garrison Johnson (Transfer)
Kevin Mital (Transfer)
That class was still ranked near the bottom of the ACC right? There may be ~8-10 truly strong players in it? I hate to keep harping on this, but sometimes I don’t think people around here know what an actually good recruiting class looks like. When we crack the top half of the ACC, wake me up. ;)

Perhaps you need another losing season next year, making it 5 out of 6 for you to sway from that train of thought? But, no doubt “Dino will be fine” regardless with all that $$$ he’s guaranteed by the university. Highway robbery if you ask me.

You can’t keep firing coaches every four or five years.

You have to recognize the inherent limitations with our program.

And, you have to the coach you have selected some time - just as Jake gave Coach Mac time.

This year is obviously an unusual year.

You just can’t make judgements off of what has occurred in the context of COVID

Shouldn't the basketball team take this off year too? What about all the other sports being played by SU? When you get tough breaks, you work harder, not quit.

Buddy Boeheim would be a grizzled vet on this football team, nevermind Marek.

Th
That class was still ranked near the bottom of the ACC right? There may be ~8-10 truly strong players in it? I hate to keep harping on this, but sometimes I don’t think people around here know what an actually good recruiting class looks like. When we crack the top half of the ACC, wake me up. ;)
The last 2 jobs he had, the players were already there from the previous coach. It would appear that he had the intention to take another job at a factory school but that offer never came. Draw your own conclusions.

And, you have to the coach you have selected some time - just as Jake gave Coach Mac time.

I tend to think 5 years is enough time to evaluate a head coach. In this circumstance I’m 100% on board with giving Dino a 6th year. I probably could have my arm twisted into giving him a 7th, depending on how next year goes, assuming it doesn’t result in a bowl appearance.

We can’t compare today’s environment to the 1980s. The game is fundamentally different, between scholarship numbers, transfer portals, nationalized recruiting, media exposure, and the like.

Six seasons is not in any way a turnstile. I hope Dino turns things around, I like the guy a ton. But if 6 years is the end then he had a very fair shot.

Dual thread QB's grow on trees.

But those trees don't grow in New York.

That means climbing over somebody's fence, and stealing a decent QB from their backyard.

Something we haven't had a lot of luck with recently.

It doesn't seem like any ACC players grow in NYS (at least in the same spots consistently)

I‘d love it if Wildhack would ask the favor of Doug to come here as OL with an asst HC title for a year. Do what Alabama had done.
I would love to see that happen but you have two huge egos between Babers and Marrone. Dino either accepts or he moves on!

I understand and realize the limitations. However, if Syracuse is going to be in the P5 and collect the privilege of all that $$$ it should act like a P5 school. And, it's not just this COVID season, last year was a huge setback and there were significant signs then. Dino has had only one winning season in 5, and I'd say Vegas betting odds are that he'll have another next year. It will be interesting to see where the pre-season conference projections come in next August.

I’m a Marrone guy be he isn’t coming back. He hates the recruiting part of the job. Maybe you get him for a year as a consultant but that’s it. Love Dino’s charisma but things are not trending well offensively and that’s supposedly his strength.

If Marrone is financially set sure.
Marrone isn’t getting a 3rd NFL HC job. He will find NFL employment for sure.

I may hate a job but if my options are doing a less stressful job for 10 times less than a more stressful job I don’t like it’s not an absolute.
Plus their are other factors new management at the old job you hate.
There were several posters here, some prominent and typically reasonable posters, who were absolutely certain that Marrone would NEVER get another coaching job after Buffalo. I wouldn't be so certain that he will not get a 3rd HC gig. There are other factors at play in Jacksonville. But, I have no idea how that is perceived by the rest of the other general managers in the league.

I would take Marrone back here as HC in NY minute. I also think that is a pipe dream.

On this - assuming that class is about 48-50? What's the real difference between that and being around 30. The football rankings seem pretty subjective after the obvious guys. And this isn't directed to you it's just something for discussion.

On this - assuming that class is about 48-50? What's the real difference between that and being around 30. The football rankings seem pretty subjective after the obvious guys. And this isn't directed to you it's just something for discussion.
Oh yeah, the ranking system is a totally subjective and more than a bit silly. But I think my point is that if SU had 10 years of classes ranked around 30, we’d be a lot more talented than we’ve been having classes ranked around 50. I think the rankings make sense when you turn them into multi year larger samples.

If you want a top 35 recruiting class, you'll be sleeping for a while.

We've had ONE Top 35 class in the past 30 years. And that was Coach P.

I’m a Marrone guy be he isn’t coming back. He hates the recruiting part of the job. Maybe you get him for a year as a consultant but that’s it. Love Dino’s charisma but things are not trending well offensively and that’s supposedly his strength.
I can tell you with certainty from talking directly to Marrone when he was here, he did not leave because he hated recruiting. This is a board myth. He left because of the lack of financial and facility support from the administration. He may have left for the NFL anyway, but that was the primary reason that pushed him out the door at the time he left.

Oh yeah, the ranking system is a totally subjective and more than a bit silly. But I think my point is that if SU had 10 years of classes ranked around 30, we’d be a lot more talented than we’ve been having classes ranked around 50. I think the rankings make sense when you turn them into multi year larger samples.

You've killed off greater debate with such a concise answer!!!

I cannot believe Dino had the balls to seem critical of fan attendance in 2018 and 2019. I don’t know why im angry about it now. But I am
I have to stop wearing my SU hat. Too many people are approaching me to hug and say "There there, It will get better." I'm also afraid of getting the virus. I don't like hearing the "SU Sucks" comments when I'm just trying to pick out steaks at the meat counter.

Last edited:
If you want a top 35 recruiting class, you'll be sleeping for a while.

We've had ONE Top 35 class in the past 30 years. And that was Coach P.
And that’s why our record since Coach P totally sucks. We either need to have a generational recruiter at the helm, or someone who is incredibly proficient at development/scheme. Unfortunately it seems we have neither right now.