John Wildhack | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack

Some of that horrible luck was his own doing...leaving Dungey in there to get lit up against Louisville.

Actually I'm talking about what happened before Dungey.

He lost his starting QB two times in two years at the beginning of two seasons.

He was forced to play guys that were too green and not ready to play.

Actually I'm talking about what happened before Dungey.

He lost his starting QB two times in two years at the beginning of two seasons.

He was forced to play guys that were too green and not ready to play.

Hunt and who else?

Shafers major mistake was not naming Lester OC from day 1
This is very true. I get why he went with McF. He needed a big recruiter to pull in talent, as that clearly wasn’t DM’s strength. But Lester was actually a good OC in retrospect, and I truly believe he would have pulled to O out if given time. SS had a bad defense his final (3rd lol) year, but he can unquestionably field a good defensive team, and, when given an opportunity to focus, he can make excellent in game adjustments on the defensive side of the ball. Had Lester built a decent offense, and had the defense reverted to a normal SS defense, we would have been pretty good. I can’t help but think that better facilities and time to cycle through some weak position coaches would not have tangibly improved recruiting, too. I also got the feeling that SS was Coach P-level loyal. One bad OC hire could have cost SU FB dearly.

OC DC OL QB. Those coaches have to be good. 1 miss at the SU level and your in trouble.
So far Dino has replaced both coordinators, QB coach and OL.
This is the main reason we suck. At this point other than the DC he may have whiffed again on OL, OC...

Yes, it appears Tony White is the real deal; given the very limited time to implement a new scheme. The OC and OL - good grief! More difficult to discern if he also whiffed on the S&C staff - they play such a vital role.

This is very true. I get why he went with McF. He needed a big recruiter to pull in talent, as that clearly wasn’t DM’s strength. But Lester was actually a good OC in retrospect, and I truly believe he would have pulled to O out if given time. SS had a bad defense his final (3rd lol) year, but he can unquestionably field a good defensive team, and, when given an opportunity to focus, he can make excellent in game adjustments on the defensive side of the ball. Had Lester built a decent offense, and had the defense reverted to a normal SS defense, we would have been pretty good. I can’t help but think that better facilities and time to cycle through some weak position coaches would not have tangibly improved recruiting, too. I also got the feeling that SS was Coach P-level loyal. One bad OC hire could have cost SU FB dearly.

I wouldn't use any of that to describe Shafer. His D was hit or miss and when it was a miss he was never able to figure it out in game.

As to Lester I am sure we would have looked more competent but which game are we really winning with him as OC that we lost with McFit?

Yes, it appears Tony White is the real deal; given the very limited time to implement a new scheme. The OC and OL - good grief! More difficult to discern if he also whiffed on the S&C staff - they play such a vital role.

S & C doesn't translate very well to Zoom conference calls.

There were no Summer classes at SU this year, meaning no players were putting in S & C work under the direct supervision of the staff.

Clearly some of these guys weren't properly dedicated...

Like what, please explain...

As you have been waiting for a reply to your inquiry, it's highly unlikely that you'll get a response, at least not one of legitimate substance. I'm not sure if you were around on the previous boards, but you being here for approximately only 2 years, you are still relatively new and will come to know that it is what it is here. In that regard...a longtime dedication to that effect. ;):)

Last edited:
OC DC OL QB. Those coaches have to be good. 1 miss at the SU level and your in trouble.
So far Dino has replaced both coordinators, QB coach and OL.
This is the main reason we suck. At this point other than the DC he may have whiffed again on OL, OC...

Even if we don't whiff, we aren't going to retain true talent for long. The big boys will come and lure them away. We need the resources to retain them. So not only do you need to identify and attract the young talent, you have to find a way to keep them for at least a few years while you are grooming someone else. It's called succession planning.

S & C doesn't translate very well to Zoom conference calls.

There were no Summer classes at SU this year, meaning no players were putting in S & C work under the direct supervision of the staff.

Clearly some of these guys weren't properly dedicated...
All very true indeed.

I wouldn't use any of that to describe Shafer. His D was hit or miss and when it was a miss he was never able to figure it out in game.

As to Lester I am sure we would have looked more competent but which game are we really winning with him as OC that we lost with McFit?
Are you crazy? Go back and look at the job he did as DC. The shining example is his job absolutely dismantling some good WVU teams, and we absolutely did get better as the games went on because of his adjustments. Pretending otherwise is revisionist history, and, if you look at the points per possession, you can see it in the numbers.

Are you crazy? Go back and look at the job he did as DC. The shining example is his job absolutely dismantling some good WVU teams, and we absolutely did get better as the games went on because of his adjustments. Pretending otherwise is revisionist history, and, if you look at the points per possession, you can see it in the numbers.

WV was start to finish. What game did we struggle first half and then dominate 2nd half? Stony Brook? Do you want me to go through all the no shows from the D his four years here? Just 2012 alone we were torched by USC, USF, Cincy, Mizzou. Plus with the lead and 2:40 left in the game we let Northwestern drive 75 yards in less than 2 mins to beat us. On the good side of things we had Louisville and WV which totally clouds people's memories.

WV was start to finish. What game did we struggle first half and then dominate 2nd half? Stony Brook? Do you want me to go through all the no shows from the D his four years here? Just 2012 alone we were torched by USC, USF, Cincy, Mizzou. Plus with the lead and 2:40 left in the game we let Northwestern drive 75 yards in less than 2 mins to beat us. On the good side of things we had Louisville and WV which totally clouds people's memories.
The NW loss was Marrone's fault, bad clock management. We had a 1st and 10 at the 21, should have run the clock and kicked a field goal. Instead we pass on 1st down and score leaving over 2 minutes on the clock.

The NW loss was Marrone's fault, bad clock management. We had a 1st and 10 at the 21, should have run the clock and kicked a field goal. Instead we pass on 1st down and score leaving over 2 minutes on the clock.

We scored with 2:40 left how are we running out the clock? According to the game log we had a 3rd and 1 at the 20 when we scored. You expect the D to be able to hold a 6 point lead when the other team is at their own 25.

We scored with 2:40 left how are we running out the clock? According to the game log we had a 3rd and 1 at the 20 when we scored. You expect the D to be able to hold a 6 point lead when the other team is at their own 25.
The Big Ten refs are why we lost to NW that unnecessary roughness penalty out of bounds on 4th down was a joke and the conference refs being bias and screwing us.

That penalty was a joke and cost us the game.

You get the 1st down and run 4 more plays, force Northwestern to use all Timeouts, before you score.

I didn't give you a day off. You must have earned that from another mod.
I didn't give you a day off. You must have earned that from another mod.
really so this message isn’t you. This was from quoting the scroll of the Statue of Liberty.

Attachments

• EF137CEF-55B2-43BD-94FC-07D7A07F8AE6.png
    EF137CEF-55B2-43BD-94FC-07D7A07F8AE6.png
    732.4 KB · Views: 160

He had some great games and some really really bad ones as the DC. He was a decent DC here but he was pretty aggressive and I think people liked him more because of that. you make very valid points though

I really liked Shafer as the DC though. His D was nice complement to Marrone's style on O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom