Jordan Tucker Derail Thread | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Tucker Derail Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we though? By all accounts it seems like we are pulling a Lonnie Walker with Jones. I didn't know we could afford to do that.
You picked out the one person we haven't offered, by and large, we have a lot of offers out there to a lot of solid players. Also, I bet you Jones gets offered before it's all said and done.

Amazing Duke wants Tucker and not Wilson considering this.
Yeah because they always take what's gonna work right now because they play the one and done game. Not hard to figure that out

Are we though? By all accounts it seems like we are pulling a Lonnie Walker with Jones. I didn't know we could afford to do that.
We are definitely doing that. They seem to like the kid from East Carolina better than Jones.

What, precisely, do we have to offer comparable to Kentucky or Duke? I mean, if you were our recruiter, let's hear your pitch.

I've mentioned it 3 times at least, we have a lot to offer Tucker that he can't get at Duke.

More playing time and a successful system that works well with his game. Proven success of getting players like him in the NBA. Mali and White had major successes for us and had so much time to showcase their talents.

Brian, it isn't defeatist. It's living in the real world. We are who we are. We are not Kentucky. We aren't Duke. there are not many schools that can do to us what these guys have just done. But they can.

That's complacency. Maybe we don't have their resources, but maybe we need to figure out how.

It's not like Cal and K are sitting back and watching all of this unfold. Those dudes look worn out 24/7. They aren't resting on their laurels by any means.

Tucker fits Duke's system more than perfectly, by the way. So let's put that argument to rest.

We are definitely doing that. They seem to like the kid from East Carolina better than Jones.

And K or Calipari would take both just to prevent a rival from getting a good player.

That's complacency. Maybe we don't have their resources, but maybe we need to figure out how.

It's not like Cal and K are sitting back and watching all of this unfold. Those dudes look worn out 24/7. They aren't resting on their laurels by any means.
Count me in on what you are saying. We are getting out worked. For example, we have our fund raiser on a weekend when you can see kids instead of a dead period. Makes zero sense. Recruiting basketball players is your day job.

I think our model for recruiting is what needs an overhaul, or at least a good, hard honest evaluation from the coaching staff. In the past, we'd identify our target system fits, and often land them early. We excelled at identifying guys who were a little under the radar, but who had the tools to be terrific college players. So honing in on a smaller number of guys worked and was a successful strategy.

Lately, we've been good with the player evaluation part. But we've honed in on guys who weren't passionate about coming here. So restricting ourselves to only a small number of targets isn't a good strategy anymore.

I also have to question why we backed off of Tucker so early. I know, I know - they thought that they were going to land Brandon Randolph, but we know how that turned out. You can't keep sawing yourself off at the knees and then complaining when it becomes difficult to stand.

Nothing is getting an overhaul with JB at age 76, entering year 42 or whatever. That leopard ain't changing his spots.

Why isn't he ranked?
Did you just say Wilson isn't ranked? He's top 80 everywhere dude. That's not ranked? But okay let's play that game. frank Mason was a 3 star. He ended up better then almost any player his final two seasons. That's just the first example that comes to mind.

We don't have the ships to do things like that.

Except we can't fill a roster even with decreased ships. We also go back to 12 after this year.

I can already see the writing on the wall with Swider. He's our #1 target, he's dominating AAU and Duke will offer by this fall.

Jones will probably sign with Miami or FSU by that point and we are screwed again.

I hope that's the case. Gillons defense was part of the reason we missed the tournament.

And his offense was a BIG part of the reason we even had a chance to be able to barely miss the tournament.

Has everyone forgotten how completely dead in the water we were, before JB made Gillon the full-time starter at PG?

Did you just say Wilson isn't ranked? He's top 80 everywhere dude. That's not ranked? But okay let's play that game. frank Mason was a 3 star. He ended up better then almost any player his final two seasons. That's just the first example that comes to mind.

I only checked real quick on one site but wilson is 20 spots higher in 18 than Jordan is in 17.

Maybe we should just recruit 3 stars. Sounds like a plan.

Wilson is 6'7" 170, he has so much work to his body, that's a lot of weight and strength he needs to gain and that's a multi year process.

Not top 80 with espn, so not everywhere.

www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207896/sidney-wilson

I think it boils down more to Tucker being bigger / stronger [a muscular 215 to Wilson's 170], and a more developed scorer / true knock down shooter. Which means that right now, he's more ready to contribute day 1, and his offensive skills would go a long way toward providing what we need next year.

I haven't seen Wilson play [other than clips]. I can buy into the notion that he's a more explosive athlete, and that with some refinement offensively that he could be a better player / more highly coveted NBA prospect than Tucker eventually. But I think if it came down to which player could help us the most next year, I think it is Tucker all the way.

Maybe we should just recruit 3 stars. Sounds like a plan.

Wilson is 6'7" 170, he has so much work to his body, that's a lot of weight and strength he needs to gain and that's a multi year process.

Not top 80 with espn, so not everywhere.

www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207896/sidney-wilson
HAHAHA this guy is talking about ESPN rankings yikes. Anyways did I ever say we should just recuirt 3 stars? Nah so stop putting words i my mouth. I'm saying you don't have to be higher ranked then someone to be better. It's that simple actually.

Here's an idea...stop recruiting against Duke and UK. We pull our fair share against all others
And the 5-stars we did pull were usually the missing piece to our usual array of 4-stars, 3-stars, and under-the-radar type kids who always made up the bulk of our better teams.
The typical Syracuse team had a gradual hierachy where today's promising freshman, would make the jump to a stand-out soph, and eventually becoming a star junior. With the multiple early-entries, even for players one might think weren't ready to make the jump, we've morphed into a bastardized version of a Duke/UK OAD-type program. Except that Duke/UK reload EVERY year with equal or better players, and we don't. Our great exposure is both a blessing and a curse whereas a Malachi Richadson only needs to get hot on a F4 run, and he ends up getting drafted.

Last edited:
And his offense was a BIG part of the reason we even had a chance to be able to barely miss the tournament.

Has everyone forgotten how completely dead in the water we were, before JB made Gillon the full-time starter at PG?

Fair. I don't want to finish as a middle tier conference team year after year. I'm sick of it. I've had season tickets for 15 years and what we saw this year wasn't Syracuse basketball.

And the 5-stars we did pull were usually the misssing piece to our usual array of 4-stars, 3-stars, and under-the-radar type kids who always made up the bulk of our better teams.
The typical Syracuse team had a gradual hierachy where today's promising freshman, would make the jump to a stand-out soph, and eventually becoming a star junior. With the multiple early-entries, even for players one might think weren't ready to make the jump, we've morphed into a bastardized version of a Duke/UK OAD-type program. Except that Duke/UK reload EVERY year with equal or better players, and we don't. Our great exposure is both a blessing and a curse whereas a Malachi Richadson only needs to get hot on a F4 run, and he ends up getting drafted.
Yeah the early entrants for us have been death (depth) blows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors