JT needs out of the lineup | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JT needs out of the lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realize rebounds and turnovers are calculated into most analytical metrics? Of which most of these metrics show Taylor as a negative player
I do. Just pointing out the gross flaws in the original attack. The originator wasn’t talking about any metrics whatsoever. He was attacking JT’s effort and accused him of doing nothing. Not sure how being the second leading rebounder on the team is doing nothing.

Well, we’ve seen some very positive stretches from him. He defers to Judah and doesn’t seem to be confident in his role yet. That can evolve, and he can grow into a bigger role. I realize that’s a bunch of suppositions but I still have hope for him.
There are probably 1,500 D1 players who have some positive stretches.

I do. Just pointing out the gross flaws in the original attack. The originator wasn’t talking about any metrics whatsoever. He was attacking JT’s effort and accused him of doing nothing. Not sure how being the second leading rebounder on the team is doing nothing.
Q is the second leading rebounder on the team in 7 less minutes. So stop with JT is second leading rebounder.

Q is the second leading rebounder on the team in 7 less minutes. So stop with JT is second leading rebounder.
Then you better tell the SU Athletic department to go with your version of reality instead of what they have posted as of tonight. Last I knew 87 rebounds was 2 more than 85. They are close so even if you had the facts correct, and you dont, he is an important rebounder for a team desperate for rebounds.

Did he? I don't recall that.
Bulldog alluded to he was a big part of the plans.
I actually said the opposite that the coaches were not sold on him. He was a Boeheim recruit that JB really wanted bc he thought he would be the next Buddy. His offers (unc, Indiana and more) all said he was a good player. But he’s just not. Red gave him a chance after talking to him at the end of last season and it’s blown up in his face.

Then you better tell the SU Athletic department to go with your version of reality instead of what they have posted as of tonight. Last I knew 87 rebounds was 2 more than 85. They are close so even if you had the facts correct, and you dont, he is an important rebounder for a team desperate for rebounds.
Yes counting the North Carolina he has 2 more rebounds then Q.
But get real he has played 433 minutes to Q playing 330 minutes, and Brown leads the team with 96 rebounds in 391 minutes. Getting only 2 more rebounds in 103 minutes is not a good rebounder.
Q is the second best rebounder according to real stats.

I actually said the opposite that the coaches were not sold on him. He was a Boeheim recruit that JB really wanted bc he thought he would be the next Buddy. His offers (unc, Indiana and more) all said he was a good player. But he’s just not. Red gave him a chance after talking to him at the end of last season and it’s blown up in his face.
Yeah I realized that later. In my defense I usually consume dangerous levels of thc when I post here.

Yes counting the North Carolina he has 2 more rebounds then Q.
But get real he has played 433 minutes to Q playing 330 minutes, and Brown leads the team with 96 rebounds in 391 minutes. Getting only 2 more rebounds in 103 minutes is not a good rebounder.
Q is the second best rebounder according to real stats.

He had 2 more going into the Carolina game. I guess we can do without his rebounds then. Brilliant logic. Q gets more offensive rebounds while JT gets way more defensive rebounds. Getting 20 more defensive rebounds than any other SU player is as real as it gets. I get now that you just don’t like him but being wrong and biased gets you a skewed opinion. Nothing more. Opinions don’t alter facts. I for one am glad to have both these guys. They both hustle and JT’s hustle that has been my point all along.

I liked him last year and was hoping he’d be a much more consistent player this year. Still like the effort he seems to bring and do think his rebounding is solid overall. But, for what we need, just isn’t good enough across the board right now against good teams. There is no shooting touch at all, which makes it difficult to be a decent shooter.

To that point, earlier in the week someone posted his high school numbers and his 3pt % was in the 20s. If that’s the case, and I am shocked how it could be, what are we expecting here? He’d be shooting better than he did in high school.

Taylor is not the reason we are getting blown out against good teams. Who else did Red get talked into keeping because there are a number of guys who should have received the same conversation. So let's say Taylor isn't here, UNC beats us by 25?

Taylor is not the reason we are getting blown out against good teams. Who else did Red get talked into keeping because there are a number of guys who should have received the same conversation. So let's say Taylor isn't here, UNC beats us by 25?
I’m not saying he’s the reason I’m just saying he has been given a lot of opportunity and he’s not performing. However this also falls on the fact other guys aren’t performing either and that’s why he’s playing the amount he’s playing. I’m guessing Red likes effort more than other guys. Chance being hurt is a real problem and adding to this mess.
And a few other guys did get the same conversation and this was basically a prove it year…

For us to make a big leap in the right direction, these guys should return: Maliq, Bell, Starling, Copeland, Cuffe, Westry, McLeod and because he hasn't played to be rated/judged, Patterson.

Known additions - Freeman and Moore.

Portal in - a point guard, a shooting guard, and a forward.

Whoever we portal in should be ACC level players who can either start or contribute off the bench. This will take pressure off the guys who return who currently are being asked to do more than they are capable of.

I’m not saying he’s the reason I’m just saying he has been given a lot of opportunity and he’s not performing. However this also falls on the fact other guys aren’t performing either and that’s why he’s playing the amount he’s playing. I’m guessing Red likes effort more than other guys. Chance being hurt is a real problem and adding to this mess.
And a few other guys did get the same conversation and this was basically a prove it year…
A Few??

Counting on Westry seems questionable. He didn’t show he could score either when he played and it’s going to be over a year between games when he sees the court.

Some of the guys we brought in have extremely underperformed as well.

For us to make a big leap in the right direction, these guys should return: Maliq, Bell, Starling, Copeland, Cuffe, Westry, McLeod and because he hasn't played to be rated/judged, Patterson.

Known additions - Freeman and Moore.

Portal in - a point guard, a shooting guard, and a forward.

Whoever we portal in should be ACC level players who can either start or contribute off the bench. This will take pressure off the guys who return who currently are being asked to do more than they are capable of.
Problem with the portal is there is no guarantee. We thought JJ would excel. Westrey got hurt. Cuff coming off an injury. McLeod was a desperate get when Jesse bailed. We do need to go into the portal but it is not always a guarantee.

Reds got a relatively small window to show that he can turn this around and he has burned a year. SU did him no favors letting Jesse slip through our fingers by not having their ducks in a row with NIL. I wasn’t expecting miracles in year one but I was hoping to see an offensive and defensive identity to build off of. I’ve seen zip.

A Few??

Counting on Westry seems questionable. He didn’t show he could score either when he played and it’s going to be over a year between games when he sees the court.

Some of the guys we brought in have extremely underperformed as well.
I think there’s only one guy from this team I want to see start next season, and one who could if he’s still the best option. The rest are varying degrees of net negatives, even for developmental sophomores.

I don't know if anyone else has covered this but here are Taylor's offensive stats in ACC play, and they
are very offensive:

24 minutes per game
2.6 PPG
4-23, 17% shooting overall
2-14, 14% 3-point shooting

Most of the time Taylor is a non-factor on offense. Can't drive so defenders can play him tightly. Maybe the SU offensive "strategy" is to blame. I watched part of the Clemson game yesterday and Girard
got off 11 3-point attempts in 34 minutes. Bell got off 3 yesterday in 22 minutes. Taylor 1 in 26 minutes.

Last edited:
So far Red has given Benny multiple chances and that has blown up in his face. He targeted JJ and gave him a chance and that blew up. The big guy also has not been a great add. JB deserves some of the blame for this roster but Red’s roster decisions have not been good

I'm not surprised at how bad we are playing against top teams like Duke and UNC. Talent matters. I'm not gonna come on here and complain about Copeland, Bell, Taylor and more. They just aren't top talents that can compete in the ACC as starters or guys that should play major minutes. You sub them for other guys and there is no difference. We need to give Red time to build a competitive roster. I am in repeat mode when I say to make it in the ACC, we will need 2 to 3 five star talents every year just like the best teams. The only guys we should be heavily criticizing are Benny, JJ and Judah ( 4/5 star guys who are not freshmen). Benny is broken from the Boeheim years and need to move on when the season ends, Judah was playing for himself and the NBA scouts, but now looks resigned to the fact that he isn't wooing them and won't even see the 2nd round, and I have no clue what is wrong with Starling. We need more than Freeman and Moore next year. At least 4 or 5 guys need to go so that we can get some competent transfers from the portal.
If it is that easy we would have done it. Syracuse in the ACC is always going to be a hard sell when Duke, Heels and now Virginia are kicking around. Things will not change until the ACC implodes.

Will an improved football team save us? It did not save Wazzu or Or. St. We will probably end up in a rearranged and weakened ACC. Maybe that will be a fresh start for basketball recruiting. The current ACC is a drag in that we are outsiders competing against insiders.

So far Red has given Benny multiple chances and that has blown up in his face. He targeted JJ and gave him a chance and that blew up. The big guy also has not been a great add. JB deserves some of the blame for this roster but Red’s roster decisions have not been good
So going back to when Red was hired, what were the realistic alternatives?

Not give Benny a chance to show he matured?

Not go after the local guy in the portal everyone wanted?

Not take the sure thing he could get at the 5 in pursuit of a better center when Jesse left us scrambling?

Those decisions all made sense, and at the time, not making them would have made very little sense.

I don't know if anyone else has covered this but here are Taylor's offensive stats in ACC play, and they
are very offensive:

24 minutes per game
2.6 PPG
4-23, 17% shooting overall
2-14, 14% 3-point shooting
Yikes.

Yeah... feels like seeing if he responds better coming off the bench and starting Copeland might be worth a shot.

JB deserves some of the blame for this roster but Red’s roster decisions have not been good
And arguably the most effective player on the team began the year on the bench and is only now getting major minutes and FGAs. That’s a failure.

So going back to when Red was hired, what were the realistic alternatives?

Not give Benny a chance to show he matured?

Not go after the local guy in the portal everyone wanted?

Not take the sure thing he could get at the 5 in pursuit of a better center when Jesse left us scrambling?

Those decisions all made sense, and at the time, not making them would have made very little sense.
I agree with you that hindsight is 20/20, but Red needs to make his own luck moving forward and that will mean taking risks. He played it safe and didn't upset anyone, but we can't even compete against good teams right now. When was our last upset win? Duke in 2019?

Who? Don't be afraid to spill it!
Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online