Class of 2017 - JUCO DE Alton Robinson(OK) Signed/ Eligible to Play Immediately | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO DE Alton Robinson(OK) Signed/ Eligible to Play Immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kid is a pure gamble.
We need to take a gamble but kids with this talent aren't available without character red flags.

I am glad we are giving him a second chance. We need the help at the position. If I were Dino I would have a GA with this kid everywhere for the first month.
Give him a good roommate and let him know this is his last chance don't screw it up.

The talent and offer list is insane. We need this guy if he can get us pressure look out. This a top 100 recruit.
He is probably our most talented defensive line player now.

Did we all read the same article? All I'm seeing are posts making inferences & even joking about how he stole his ex-GF's cell phone. Not a single mention of the alleged forceful nature? Or the fact that it was alleged to happen on 2 separate occasions. The fact that it was originally a felony charge would, by definition, allege the use or at least threat of force. The case was dismissed because of an uncooperative witness...likely the ex-GF.

How dismissed charges are still keeping ex-Texas A&M signee Alton Robinson out of the Power Five

"In the original arrest warrant, Bexar County authorities allege Robinson stole his ex-girlfriend's purse on two separate occasions. During one instance in February 2016, Robinson allegedly jumped out from behind bushes near a driveway to steal a purse, while another time he allegedly forcefully took a purse, ran into a field and then threw his ex-girlfriend into bushes."

Listen, I'm all for 2nd chances, especially with someone so young, and have ZERO problem bringing this kid in. Obviously none of us will ever know what actually happened, but let's not make light of/spin this like it's something that "happened to" him & not something he did. Personally, I have a hard time believing that simply stealing his ex-GF's cell phone is enough to keep him out of the Big12, even with what happened at Baylor.

Welcome & best of luck, Mr. Robinson. You've been given a 2nd chance, make the most of it.

Did we all read the same article? All I'm seeing are posts making inferences & even joking about how he stole his ex-GF's cell phone. Not a single mention of the alleged forceful nature? Or the fact that it was alleged to happen on 2 separate occasions. The fact that it was originally a felony charge would, by definition, allege the use or at least threat of force. The case was dismissed because of an uncooperative witness...likely the ex-GF.

How dismissed charges are still keeping ex-Texas A&M signee Alton Robinson out of the Power Five

"In the original arrest warrant, Bexar County authorities allege Robinson stole his ex-girlfriend's purse on two separate occasions. During one instance in February 2016, Robinson allegedly jumped out from behind bushes near a driveway to steal a purse, while another time he allegedly forcefully took a purse, ran into a field and then threw his ex-girlfriend into bushes."

Listen, I'm all for 2nd chances, especially with someone so young, and have ZERO problem bringing this kid in. Obviously none of us will ever know what actually happened, but let's not make light of/spin this like it's something that "happened to" him & not something he did. Personally, I have a hard time believing that simply stealing his ex-GF's cell phone is enough to keep him out of the Big12, even with what happened at Baylor.

Welcome & best of luck, Mr. Robinson. You've been given a 2nd chance, make the most of it.

Great post. I am ok with giving this kid a chance but I agree that we shouldn't make light of what he did. Let's hope he is a better person now with this second chance

This kid is a beast on tape. Huge add, especially this late, and at a spot of need. He seems to be able to run through you, or around you. Great instincts for where the ball is going, and also quick to the ball. Good motor. Think he is going to be huge off the edge, and pretty quickly. Shouldn't take much time to learn his roll.

Hope it works out. He messed up, but what he allegedly did is no reason not to give the man a second chance. Yeah, yeah, hypocrite and all that. Though, I'm not one of those posters really.

Anyway, great job by the staff. How we had a player like this fall into our lap is beyond me, but I'm not complaining. This team is primed for success.

How likely is it he can hit the ground running? Would think he's waaaay behind on the S&C. Great addition though we needed the body and now have him for 3 years.

This is clearly damage control. Great message, but, if I'm being completely honest, the timing makes me slightly uncomfortable. If another school did this, this board would mock/ridicule them relentlessly. I'm genuinely rooting for this young man to succeed & that's the last I'll say on the subject.

Other schools do this all the time and we would only mock rutgirls and pedo state. Go check out the kid that Bo Polini just let on his team at Youngstown State.

How likely is it he can hit the ground running? Would think he's waaaay behind on the S&C. Great addition though we needed the body and now have him for 3 years.

I may be in the minority on this, but with offers like his and with the potential he has, I wouldn't mind seeing him redshirt IF the others are doing enough to be successful defensively.

If he proves to be able to pick things up quickly and blows by a number of people on the depth chart, then play him right away. But this whole program is a long game right now. If he helps us get to 6-6, great. But if we can have him 3 full years , even better.

Would think he has been staying in shape. As he was preparing to play somewhere this year. Doubt he sat around, and didn't work out at all. Though yeah, it would definitely be nice to have had him earlier.

Other schools do this all the time and we would only mock rutgirls and pedo state. Go check out the kid that Bo Polini just let on his team at Youngstown State.
I'm aware. I was referring to the Twitter post. I have ZERO problem bringing this kid in & giving him a 2nd chance. But, for a coach to post this on Twitter just hours later...Idk.

They really missed an opportunity by not assigning him with the available defensive jersey #5 so that we could call him "Alto Cinco" :)

I may be in the minority on this, but with offers like his and with the potential he has, I wouldn't mind seeing him redshirt IF the others are doing enough to be successful defensively.

If he proves to be able to pick things up quickly and blows by a number of people on the depth chart, then play him right away. But this whole program is a long game right now. If he helps us get to 6-6, great. But if we can have him 3 full years , even better.
We need the body and if he is good he isn't staying 3 years.

I would prefer to use him now and if it's only on 3rd down fine.

We are better off Redshirting a true freshman over this kid. He is a legit talent thus use him while the staff can.

We are better off Redshirting a true freshman over this kid. He is a legit talent thus use him while the staff can.

I think the "kids leaving early" thing is a little overblown. Very few football players leave early - the last one Syracuse had was Taj Smith, and the only reason he left early was because he was pushing 30 (sarcasm).

Agreed that we'd be better off redshirting others if it we had a choice to do so. But the difference between them and Robinson is they have been in camp the entire summer/fall. This kid presumably just got here.

Not sure how long it will take him to get caught up to speed. That's the main reason I would think about redshirting him. Just not sure how effective he'll be right away.

Especially given our lack of depth / pass rush at DE.

Doesn't make sense for the coaching staff to take a risk like this unless they expect good behavior and immediate positive contributions, probably in that order. I'd expect that DE is a position where a newcomer might be able to hit the ground running faster than, say, OL with more intricate assignments.

I think the "kids leaving early" thing is a little overblown. Very few football players leave early - the last one Syracuse had was Taj Smith, and the only reason he left early was because he was pushing 30 (sarcasm).

Agreed that we'd be better off redshirting others if it we had a choice to do so. But the difference between them and Robinson is they have been in camp the entire summer/fall. This kid presumably just got here.

Not sure how long it will take him to get caught up to speed. That's the main reason I would think about redshirting him. Just not sure how effective he'll be right away.
I'm pretty sure we had kids leave early after taj smith. A safety just a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly.

Agreed and this is why I barely have any expectation for him this year.

(doubt he redshirts though and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few games to even see the field.)

Agreed and this is why I barely have any expectation for him this year.

(doubt he redshirts though and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few games to even see the field.)

Really? I'd be shocked if he isn't playing a ton of snaps by the 3rd or 4th game, if not starting outright once he gets acclimated.

How many practices needed from an NCAA perspective?

Really? I'd be shocked if he isn't playing a ton of snaps by the 3rd or 4th game, if not starting outright once he gets acclimated.
See to me that sounds crazy.

I would be happy to see him on passing 3rd downs for the first 3-4 games. I doubt we can really expect much more. Just get that QB and this board will be in love with him.

I'm pretty sure we had kids leave early after taj smith. A safety just a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly.

You're right. Ron Thompson left but in my opinion, he stays if Shafer stays. Justin Pugh left early, 1st round pick. Just thought due to our lack of success we hadn't had many but I stand corrected.

See to me that sounds crazy.

Fair enough. But I think people are viewing this through the lens of recruits that we usually land, instead of what this kid might be able to do. This isn't a situation like Morton [the DE from Detroit who came in this fall weighing 220], this kid is physically ready.

Black and Coleman started and played a substantial amount of snaps as true frosh. Doesn't seem that crazy at all, even if he is getting a late start. ESPECIALLY given our issues at DE.

I'm aware. I was referring to the Twitter post. I have ZERO problem bringing this kid in & giving him a 2nd chance. But, for a coach to post this on Twitter just hours later...Idk.

They really missed an opportunity by not assigning him with the available defensive jersey #5 so that we could call him "Alto Cinco" :)
It is interesting that he post that. It could be for many reasons. They could be hearing things from other schools behind the scenes I don't know, but there is a message and they wanted it to be seen publicly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors