Class of 2017 - Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Meaningless. Kids improve. In baseball, Steven Strasburg was a non prospect. 3 years later, he was a phenom. I'm not saying this kid is good or bad, just that things change.

Strasburg was the 138th ranked prospect coming out of high school (Perfect Game) and was up to 91. He was far from a non prospect.

fellas for the last time. You don't move players back you move them up and closer to the ball. His measureables are ideal. You put 10 pounds on him and he becomes an athletic 6-2 225 pound LB. You rarely see players lose weight to play in the secondary. The movements, run angles are much different in the secondary , especially in the ACC. This kid is a box player and he's pretty dam good at it. BTW why do you guys think he was brought in for depth? He will be competing for a starting position. I can guarantee it.

fellas for the last time. You don't move players back you move them up and closer to the ball. His measureables are ideal. You put 10 pounds on him and he becomes an athletic 6-2 225 pound LB. You rarely see players lose weight to play in the secondary. The movements, run angles are much different in the secondary , especially in the ACC. This kid is a box player and he's pretty dam good at it. BTW why do you guys think he was brought in for depth? He will be competing for a starting position. I can guarantee it.
There's a weird phenomenon on the board where a player commits and everyone immediately wants to change his position. Don't get it.

That's 7 strong entering 2017 and 3 supposed incoming frosh. not sure why shy is viewed as a "nickel "? he is one of our more athletic backers. Love waltons size. I see your point , but hope Guthrie has safety skills at his size.

How many linebackers have you ever seen returning kicks? He's a deep man on the kick off return team unless he's a world-class athlete ? I'll tell you how many I've ever seen and that's zero.

7 is not 7 strong. I don't really know what we have outside of the top four.

And Armstrong replaced Zaire he jumped Henderson

I also love Waltons potential

Last edited:
How many linebackers have you ever seen returning kicks? He's a deep man on the kick off return team. I'll tell you how many I've ever seen zero unless he's a world-class athlete
We started doing that this year with tight ends and big backs. The purpose wasn't to have them return, but, because they were our most effective lead blockers.

No idea if that's what they were doing, but, I could see an athletic LB filling that role for us as well.

We started doing that this year with tight ends and big backs. The purpose wasn't to have them return, but, because they were our most effective lead blockers.

No idea if that's what they were doing, but, I could see an athletic LB filling that role for us as well.

If we're married to having one guy return every kick off then I could see Shy as a lead blocker; and that's probably not a bad idea. Don't get me started on having Riley return kickoffs though LOL maybe Shy should be the returner.

Last edited:
If we're married to having one guy return every kick off then I could see it as a lead blocker. Don't get me started on having Riley return kickoffs though LOL maybe Shy should be the returner.
If nothing else, Shy could inflict some serious punishment returning KOs.

FWIW, Bennett and Thomas are listed on the 2016 roster at 210. Sure, might not be what they played at. But Guthrie may end up at playing at more as well.

How many linebackers have you ever seen returning kicks? He's a deep man on the kick off return team unless he's a world-class athlete ? I'll tell you how many I've ever seen and that's zero.

7 is not 7 strong. I don't really know what we have outside of the top four.

And Armstrong replaced Zaire he jumped Henderson

I also love Waltons potential

Love Waltons potential too. 7 with game experience is a good start .

I think with 10 lbs and some speed work, you could be a valuable poster on the Basketball Recruiting Forum.

Yes, but - would he play the 2 or the 3? :p

8 ? I count 4.5 ... hoping the best for Cullen and Walton. At least Walton is 6-2 224, Shy might be a career special teamer or nickle.

Keep in mind the starters are all seniors next year and recruiting isn't about the upcoming season. They'll need to be replaced soon.

Franklin
Bennett
Thompson
Armstrong
>
>
Henderson (5-11)
>
>
>
Cullen (6-0 200)
Walton

Any chance Ruff regains his MLB HS form/position?

As Money said in this thread, players grow, not shrink. Ruff is likely to stay on the defensive line.

I know its a VERY different level and age, but, kind of a funny story:

In HS on Long Island (in those years the top guys we've heard of in my conference were Morlon Greenwood, Clifton Smith, Brandon Moore (Rob's brother who played at Oklahoma and in the NFL for a while) and Amos Zereoue.) Pretty good league.

Anyway, we had an all conference MLB, a captain since his Soph year, with the initials TD. TD ballooned up after his jr. year season. During summer workouts and into training camp of his senior year, an assistant coach got on him and would say to him in front of the team, "should we now call you TD or DT!?!?"

That seemed to motivate him to shed some lbs and return to is all conference/county form after heavy conditioning and eating correctly during July and August.

I know its a VERY different level and age, but, kind of a funny story:

In HS on Long Island (in those years the top guys we've heard of in my conference were Morlon Greenwood, Clifton Smith, Brandon Moore (Rob's brother who played at Oklahoma and in the NFL for a while) and Amos Zereoue.) Pretty good league.

Anyway, we had an all conference MLB, a captain since his Soph year, with the initials TD. TD ballooned up after his jr. year season. During summer workouts and into training camp of his senior year, an assistant coach got on him and would say to him in front of the team, "should we now call you TD or DT!?!?"

That seemed to motivate him to shed some lbs and return to is all conference/county form after heavy conditioning and eating correctly during July and August.
Great story! Sounds like an awesome league to play in.

I don't think Ruff's development as a player is linked to to cheeseburgers and milkshakes, however.

It is different times. We don't need puggy 6'0 250 pounds LB's with the Shane Conlon neck brace anymore. Does defenses no good. All the spread systems and passing in today's game. LB's have to be able to run, bend and re direct, tackle in space, cover slot WR's and their zones. 6"2 230-240 Ibs LB's that can run is the standard.

It is different times. We don't need puggy 6'0 250 pounds LB's with the Shane Conlon neck brace anymore. Does defenses no good. All the spread systems and passing in today's game. LB's have to be able to run, bend and re direct, tackle in space, cover slot WR's and their zones. 6"2 230-240 Ibs LB's that can run is the standard.
...Until offenses figure out that defenses are built for the spread. Then they just power run at you all day

...Until offenses figure out that defenses are built for the spread. Then they just power run at you all day
And few teams are built to power run these days.

And few teams are built to power run these days.
True. But we never hold up well to teams that run downhill on us. Have to be more prepared than we have been

True. But we never hold up well to teams that run downhill on us. Have to be more prepared than we have been
That's more of a systematic problem to be solved, as opposed to bringing in a guy who looks like he could contribute right away, which is an immediate need.

When your 6'2 240. You should be able to stop both. Its all about recruting a better athlete at the position. You find big safties and add muscle to their frame. Keith Bullock and Brian Urlacher didnt have problems stoping power plays and iso's.

We slowed BC and Uconn power run games with one of our worst defenses ever. We looked like a JV defense vs Louisville, NC ST, Clem, and ND. spread teams with dual threats. Those teams make you cover the whole field. Pitt out schemed us. They have alot of zone concepts with their run game. Backers have to be able to run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom