Class of 2017 - Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

It is different times. We don't need puggy 6'0 250 pounds LB's with the Shane Conlon neck brace anymore. Does defenses no good. All the spread systems and passing in today's game. LB's have to be able to run, bend and re direct, tackle in space, cover slot WR's and their zones. 6"2 230-240 Ibs LB's that can run is the standard.

I agree. Backers have been getting smaller at the pro and college level for about 10 yrs now. A direct adaptation to the spread and tempo offenses using the entire field. I truly believe that harry carson and butkus couldn't play today without shaving a few lbs. No way they play sideline to sideline in todays game.

I agree. Backers have been getting smaller at the pro and college level for about 10 yrs now. A direct adaptation to the spread and tempo offenses using the entire field. I truly believe that harry carson and butkus couldn't play today without shaving a few lbs. No way they play sideline to sideline in todays game.
Butkis would be a DE today's game and that's no disrespect to him. LT and Butkis are my two favorite all time LB's.

Butkis would be a DE today's game and that's no disrespect to him. LT and Butkis are my two favorite all time LB's.

Yup, Butkus would probably be a DE, or put on 30 more lbs and be nasty on the inside, lol. Its just a different ballgame today.

We do need to get a tad bigger on the defensive side of the ball. All levels of the defense were undersized.

That being said, his kid doesn't look like a 210 guy...i know he was listed at 225 his freshman year there. I think he plays at 220 or so next year. I really like his film and think he can contribute right away.

Bennett and Thomas are both 200-210 and this kid looks thicker. My gut tells me we are 220 plus across the board at defense next year. No more smurfs.

Czwmr2gWgAQH8SM.jpg

This kid reminds me of Luke Kuechly in the way he plays the game. I think we have a gem here. Congrats to all the coaches.

I think that he is going to be an excellent player. He just looks like a football player. Takes great angles and is quick on reads. Has a nose for the ball.

I am a huge fan of Ryan. Think he is being underrated by this board and will make a big and immediate impact on the defense. Great to see us finally getting LBs with legitimate size, speed and athletic ability.

The frosh LBs in the class will eventually have major impacts too. But this kid is a tackling machine. He will help right away.

I love Guthrie’s tape. Quick reads, takes good angles, good technique, breaks down before tackling, gets to the ball fast and is a hard hitter.

looks like he enjoys contact.

I am a huge fan of Ryan. Think he is being underrated by this board and will make a big and immediate impact on the defense. Great to see us finally getting LBs with legitimate size, speed and athletic ability.

The frosh LBs in the class will eventually have major impacts too. But this kid is a tackling machine. He will help right away.
You can never have too many JUCO All-Americans.

Only worry with his tape is that he tackles really high and does a lot of jersey grabbing. Won't get away with that too often in the ACC. Great lateral quickness, and he has a knack for the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom