Class of 2020 - JUCO OT Antwan Reed (NY) Offered | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 JUCO OT Antwan Reed (NY) Offered

Sometimes we forget the other factors that's part of the decision making. When you thoroughly recruit and get to know these recruits, after awhile some things pop up that you may not like. They like guys we have better.

So you are saying they have enough/content with current OL depth to not add Reed or other guys on the board that they like more?

So you are saying they have enough/content with current OL depth to not add Reed or other guys on the board that they like more?
Or maybe he just doesn’t fit the culture?

Alot of stuff you hear on here doesn't make sense. Football coaches will take better players at the position UNLESS a huge red flag is seen.

I heard probably three weeks ago that Penn St, MD, FLST and some other P5 teams made him more of a priority (backup plan) than Syracuse were he would be a starter. Less contact from our coaches and more from others. Its really weird. Sometimes it seems our coaches would rather find a diamond in the rough easy close like the German volleyball player or the two qb's last week, than battle for solid recruits like everybody else does. Strange recruiting philosophy. Lets hope HCDB visits this kid and lets him know we want him!!!!

Alot of stuff you hear on here doesn't make sense. Football coaches will take better players at the position UNLESS a huge red flag is seen.

I heard probably three weeks ago that Penn St, MD, FLST and some other P5 teams made him more of a priority (backup plan) than Syracuse were he would be a starter. Less contact from our coaches and more from others. Its really weird. Sometimes it seems our coaches would rather find a diamond in the rough easy close like the German volleyball player or the two qb's last week, than battle for solid recruits like everybody else does. Strange recruiting philosophy. Lets hope HCDB visits this kid and lets him know we want him!!!!
Doesn't always have to be the more talented guy. Sometimes its better to go with guys that you can better predict. Ones you know you'll get max effort on the field, class room, off season strength program etc.. Each coach has to determine that with each prospect.

Doesn't always have to be the more talented guy. Sometimes its better to go with guys that you can better predict. Ones you know you'll get max effort on the field, class room, off season strength program etc.. Each coach has to determine that with each prospect.
Yeah i saw that this year. I had predicted 6-6 and our record was 5-7:(

You saw what?
He saw this whilst looking in the mirror:
troll.jpg

I would be absolutely floored if this kid ended up at Penn State or FSU. I've been wrong before but I really don't see it.

I think we were all excited about him at first because of his high school pedigree, #1 player in Michigan at one point and a PSU commit, and him ending up with WMU and then not qualifying could have explained why he ended up at WMU after being ranked so high - grades issues. But the lack of serious interest for him coming out of JUCO had me wondering if his development was the issue. We've seen this in the past, Adly Enoicy is a great example. Was a Rivals 250 kid as a sophomore, 4 star, etc, had a legit USC offer, and by Signing day he had been downgraded to a 2 star and ended up being flipped by us from FIU. There was a reason for that - he was an early developer and didn't continue to develop. That's my concern with Reed looking at the entire situation. Physically there are some question marks there.

Sampson didn't decommit because he wanted to.
That's my point...You think they coaches wish they had him available when the oline sucked? I know its easy to say in hindsight but I hope he really screwed up to warrant Dino to kick him to the curb, because that oline play for over half the season was the worst amongst power 5 teams

That's my point...You think they coaches wish they had him available when the oline sucked? I know its easy to say in hindsight but I hope he really screwed up to warrant Dino to kick him to the curb, because that oline play for over half the season was the worst amongst power 5 teams

So, we should bring on kids with character issues, just because we have a need? :rolleyes:

You should probably root for Pitt, State Penn, or any $EC team if you’re OK with that.

1) No guarantee he would have made things better. Vettorello got his spot and played as a Redshirt Frosh.
2) I think the coaches would rather not have to sell out on culture problems for the sake of a good football team.

Could still be an academic risk. There are other factors.

There’s a reason he didn’t end up at a P5 school. The dirty laundry doesn’t need to be aired here, but the coaches had every right to pull his offer.

I hate having this get off topic of Antwan Reed, my point was this team needs more Olineman, that was evident last year and Sampson not being here contributed to the lack of options. Think of depth, like buying insurance.

Unrelated to Antwan Reed, pretty sure most coaches competing at a championship level know they have a few academic and character risks in every class and they bring them in to sink or swim, simple as that. Some will flunk out, some will not meet discipline standards and they get suspended or booted, its pretty normal in college football. Im not saying its right, im just saying its pretty common because if you don't accumulate enough talent, your usually out of job sooner than later.

1) No guarantee he would have made things better. Vettorello got his spot and played as a Redshirt Frosh.
2) I think the coaches would rather not have to sell out on culture problems for the sake of a good football team.

It's actually more than that. Under the circumstances, it could become a liability issue to the University and the staff if they did not dismiss him and there was subsequent bad behavior.

It's one thing like Alton Robinson where his bad behavior was elsewhere, he went JUCO and kept his nose clean, and this staff gave him a second chance. They did their due diligence and if he F's up again, they can show that they did their due diligence. In Sampson's case, there was no time for a runway after his issues, you either bring him on knowing the accusations or you don't. And if you do, now you have a historical record where you really can't claim you made a logical decision because there was no history to lean on saying that he had changed his behavior.

It's actually more than that. Under the circumstances, it could become a liability issue to the University and the staff if they did not dismiss him and there was subsequent bad behavior.

It's one thing like Alton Robinson where his bad behavior was elsewhere, he went JUCO and kept his nose clean, and this staff gave him a second chance. They did their due diligence and if he F's up again, they can show that they did their due diligence. In Sampson's case, there was no time for a runway after his issues, you either bring him on knowing the accusations or you don't. And if you do, now you have a historical record where you really can't claim you made a logical decision because there was no history to lean on saying that he had changed his behavior.

...and also important to bring up that while Alton Robinson's charges were serious, he had no prior issues, it was an isolated incident, it was a fairly weak example of the charge brought against him, and after the incident the girl and her family decided against pressing charges.

There is a big difference in my mind to a one-off mistake that isn't that serious in the grand scheme [i.e., he pushed his ex-girlfriend into a bush and stole her cell phone out of jealous fear that she was cheating on him], versus assualt, rape, or something more serious.

I hate having this get off topic of Antwan Reed, my point was this team needs more Olineman, that was evident last year and Sampson not being here contributed to the lack of options. Think of depth, like buying insurance.

Unrelated to Antwan Reed, pretty sure most coaches competing at a championship level know they have a few academic and character risks in every class and they bring them in to sink or swim, simple as that. Some will flunk out, some will not meet discipline standards and they get suspended or booted, its pretty normal in college football. Im not saying its right, im just saying its pretty common because if you don't accumulate enough talent, your usually out of job sooner than later.
Then you are going to be disappointed with how these coaches recruit.

perhaps you should read about the kid that Dantonio accepted at Michigan State who is now serving a 10 year rape sentence. when sink or swim means attacking a fellow student (the girlfriend of a teammate in this case), then you don't let him "sink or swim", you don't bring him in

perhaps you should read about the kid that Dantonio accepted at Michigan State who is now serving a 10 year rape sentence. when sink or swim means attacking a fellow student (the girlfriend of a teammate in this case), then you don't let him "sink or swim", you don't bring him in
I know all about Austin Robertson and if you cite him, someone can counter with Jeff Simmons at Miss. St who kept his nose clean and made it to the NFL. Look im not advocating for recruiting convicted felons so we can cut the sanctimonious holier than thou virtue signaling. I don't know what Sampson did, I can read between the lines in Tep624 post and figure it out. All I said was I hope it was something that warranted his scholly being pulled, which if its what I think it was then it was deserved.

It hilarious trying to see people connect dots with so little info. Im honestly not trying to insult anyone when I say that.
Don’t worry about insulting anyone, the guilty parties likely won’t even realize who they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom