Class of 2017 - JUCO QB Clayton Welch (CA) PWO Committed and Signed with Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO QB Clayton Welch (CA) PWO Committed and Signed with Syracuse

That and it could be one kid is one hit away from not being allowed to play again and another is graduating... not a good look to only have 2 QBs on the roster after next year.

And no I'm not going to count a PWO. We have to hope we are never in a position to have to see a PWO QB play again.
First, everyone on the field is one hit away, especially in light of the Steven Clark news.
Second, in a thread about a potential PWO you say you won't count a PWO, but reference the need for depth because of the loss of a senior who was himself a PWO

NLI indicates scholarship no? Or do PWO's sign an NLI too?

there are so many different scenarios, no sense reading into them now as the next two months most of it will play out . Without a 2018 committ yet it's not a bad thing to bring in a big kid.

Kid that can come into a game and be productive if called upon; but, also happy to just be a part of the team type guy?

Based on that one Hudl tape, I just don't see the arm talent. And several of those throws were off the wrong foot. Big kid and moves well. There must be more to this story behind this signing.

I'm not a coach but I thought he fit some balls in some tight spaces. Also great escapability for a 6'5" guy.

Love to see us bringing in mature JuCo players especially at key positions. Seems like he would have 2 to play 3

Based on that one Hudl tape, I just don't see the arm talent. And several of those throws were off the wrong foot. Big kid and moves well. There must be more to this story behind this signing.

I see a kid that is a little shy on technique but has a strong arm. He also seems to possess the things I desire most in a QB judgement and field vision. I like him, probably insurance with an upside to be more.

3 to play 3
Key word in that headline: WALK-ON. We can all relax and now know why he was brought in. Hey he may see the field too, Lord knows Mahoney has seen the field a ton and he was the same scenario I believe a 3 to play 3 guy. Also was a walk-on when he first got here.

Last edited:
I read the comments before watching the film. Man some of you seem critical. I know we've seen some good film recently with Devito and all but man... He could definitely be more consistent with his footwork but looked pretty darn good to me. Seems to have good vision. Being 6'-4" or 6'-5 ish doesn't hurt. He has good escapability and has the ability to scramble really well for a guy his size when needed. Doesn't look like he gets rattled under duress. Looks to throw a good ball and put it on the receiver where it needs to be. Good accuracy and pretty good arm strength as well. I love this pick up. This builds some good passing depth this year and insurance if Dungey gets hurt. Definitely a possible situation as we know. I'd prefer Devito sit a year unless he looks just awesome. I like Mahoney but this kid looks to be a better passer and seems to fit Baber's offense better. If this kid comes in and improves his game even more with the help of our coaching staff, with an injured Dungey, I could see him possibly starting or maybe splitting time with Mahoney in different packages. How does this kid not have more offers?

Key word in that headline: WALK-ON. We can all relax and now know why he was brought in. Hey he may see the field too Lord knows Mahoney has seen the field a ton and he was the same scenario I believe a 3 to play 3 guy. Also was a walk-on when he first got here.

As a walk on that is even better. Less likely to scare any QB prospects away.

Looks like a good prospect that has a chance to win a scholarship if he can improve his arm strength.

Smart kid, good athlete, really wants to play at the P5 level. He is basically a bigger version of Mahoney. SU giving Mahoney some playing time and a chance to win a scholarship gives the staff credibility recruiting PWOs like Clayton.

Looks like a good prospect that has a chance to win a scholarship if he can improve his arm strength.

Smart kid, good athlete, really wants to play at the P5 level. He is basically a bigger version of Mahoney. SU giving Mahoney some playing time and a chance to win a scholarship gives the staff credibility recruiting PWOs like Clayton.

Yes, though technically Mahoney earned his playing time under Tim Lester, competing against Shafer's QB recruits. And those recruits (Wilson, Kimble, Long) were not an impressive bunch.

Good to see Babers & staff building depth, using PWO (and JUCOs generally) to add to the roster.

Yes, though technically Mahoney earned his playing time under Tim Lester, competing against Shafer's QB recruits. And those recruits (Wilson, Kimble, Long) were not an impressive bunch.

Good to see Babers & staff building depth, using PWO (and JUCOs generally) to add to the roster.
True, but I think he played some last year too. I remember a game against Pitt in particular where he had some pretty good stats...pretty sure it was the best game by an SU QB ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom