Class of 2017 - JUCO QB Clayton Welch (CA) PWO Committed and Signed with Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO QB Clayton Welch (CA) PWO Committed and Signed with Syracuse

Great article. I fully expect this kid to contribute. Seems like a natural leader with a ton of upside. Prototype NFL size good wheels and seems sharp. Great get by the staff.
If we need walkon QBs to contribute we are in worse shape than I thought. Walk ons by definition are not good enough for a scholarship which is tied to their talent level. Of course a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a great while but its not what foundations of quality programs are built upon. Let's keep some perspective here.

If we need walkon QBs to contribute we are in worse shape than I thought. Walk ons by definition are not good enough for a scholarship which is tied to their talent level. Of course a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a great while but its not what foundations of quality programs are built upon. Let's keep some perspective here.

Nuts walk on and they have inside them a dream of who they can be at SU. They’ve put in a great deal of time and countless hours of practice trying to develop themselves and be the best they can be. I was one of the “nuts” who walked to Manley from Kimmel and said to coach Shreve, “I want to play,” got a uniform from Al Zak the equipment manager who wondered if my mother had a lot of insurance on me. I was a 6’1” 180 First Team prep QB from N.J. who in two years ran for 22 and passed for 30 TDS. It was pre 40 time so convert a N.J. State Sprint Champion time of 9.71 in the hundred. Scouts looked but no one offered but Rutgers, Montclair St., Delaware and Penn but those schools did not have the major I wanted, SU did.

I could throw the ball as hard and accurately as Ted Holman the QB at the time and he didn’t like the fact that I could throw like him and during sprints at the end of practice the lazy players or ones who had no gas left were asking me to slow down. By the end of the season I was offered a scholarship. I understand that you need to offer 5 and four star players to keep up with our peers, but to say PWO’s like Clayton are not good enough is putting down someone who could be a great addition. I think perhaps you need to develop a different perspective by which to look at this aspect of SU Athletics.

Are you serious? How do you think other major programs build up there numbers so that they have well over the 85 members on the team. Walk-ons. Maybe we all need to sit back and see how this one plays out.

There is a thin line between d-1 and 1AA etc , it's usually size and speed . Sometimes it's luck . Bottom line is a PWO can't hurt . Sometimes they are the hardest workers . I know we are all board this time of year and spout some options but in 5 weeks the pads come on ! I will be at the first 2 or 3 practices , I wish I could fast forward to July 30th right now

There is a thin line between d-1 and 1AA etc , it's usually size and speed . Sometimes it's luck . Bottom line is a PWO can't hurt . Sometimes they are the hardest workers . I know we are all board this time of year and spout some options but in 5 weeks the pads come on ! I will be at the first 2 or 3 practices , I wish I could fast forward to July 30th right now

care taker, btw, it was great seeing TD involved in the recent camp. Was that by design or did TD just pop by to help out?

Nuts walk on and they have inside them a dream of who they can be at SU. They’ve put in a great deal of time and countless hours of practice trying to develop themselves and be the best they can be. I was one of the “nuts” who walked to Manley from Kimmel and said to coach Shreve, “I want to play,” got a uniform from Al Zak the equipment manager who wondered if my mother had a lot of insurance on me. I was a 6’1” 180 First Team prep QB from N.J. who in two years ran for 22 and passed for 30 TDS. It was pre 40 time so convert a N.J. State Sprint Champion time of 9.71 in the hundred. Scouts looked but no one offered but Rutgers, Montclair St., Delaware and Penn but those schools did not have the major I wanted, SU did.

I could throw the ball as hard and accurately as Ted Holman the QB at the time and he didn’t like the fact that I could throw like him and during sprints at the end of practice the lazy players or ones who had no gas left were asking me to slow down. By the end of the season I was offered a scholarship. I understand that you need to offer 5 and four star players to keep up with our peers, but to say PWO’s like Clayton are not good enough is putting down someone who could be a great addition. I think perhaps you need to develop a different perspective by which to look at this aspect of SU Athletics.
Am guessing you could still start for Rutgers.

Thank you for adding this perspective.

I understand the sentiment, but, have you been watching the past 3 seasons? We've gone 3, 4 even 5 deep off the bench at QB 2 out of 3 years. After this cycle, we'll have 4 scholly QB's and 2 PWO's minimum. The foundation of the biggest programs are Walk-ons and PWO's who eat up scout reps and keep scholly 2nd & 3rd teamers healthy while the 1's have bodies to beat on. Just what it is.

Bring me a PWO with real measurables who can play to some degree and I'll shake your hand and say thank you 3 times over.

Respectfully, I think this young man sees a real opportunity - he is entering a competition with an established starter who has not played every game in either of his two seasons; a backup who is a former walk on; a highly touted freshman who, despite his pedigree and accolades, has not yet played at the college level; and another walk on. If you have confidence and believe in yourself, that spells opportunity.

Having said that, I think his size and speed are very attractive to the coaching staff - after all, you can't teach those measurables. If he doesn't work out as a QB, those traits may help him transition to a TE or DE. Time will tell.

Respectfully, I think this young man sees a real opportunity - he is entering a competition with an established starter who has not played every game in either of his two seasons; a backup who is a former walk on; a highly touted freshman who, despite his pedigree and accolades, has not yet played at the college level; and another walk on. If you have confidence and believe in yourself, that spells opportunity.

Having said that, I think his size and speed are very attractive to the coaching staff - after all, you can't teach those measurables. If he doesn't work out as a QB, those traits may help him transition to a TE or DE. Time will tell.

Good post, bigmike. As a PWO, this is a win-win for the kid and the program.

I think you forgot about Rex Culpepper. I agree it's win/win for the kid and the school, but there is a highly-touted red shirt freshman quarterback that's ahead of him. Also, I would be shocked if Mahoney remains the backup after the summer.

Every program has their feel good stories. From 12-0 to 0-12 teams. As a long time fan I just want to win. The E:60 feel good stories will take care of themselves.

I understand the sentiment, but, have you been watching the past 3 seasons? We've gone 3, 4 even 5 deep off the bench at QB 2 out of 3 years. After this cycle, we'll have 4 scholly QB's and 2 PWO's minimum. The foundation of the biggest programs are Walk-ons and PWO's who eat up scout reps and keep scholly 2nd & 3rd teamers healthy while the 1's have bodies to beat on. Just what it is.

Bring me a PWO with real measurables who can play to some degree and I'll shake your hand and say thank you 3 times over.
I personally don't get caught up in the personal lives of our players. I want players to add victories to the win column and not take scout reps for our first team. Anyone can do that.

Are you serious? How do you think other major programs build up there numbers so that they have well over the 85 members on the team. Walk-ons. Maybe we all need to sit back and see how this one plays out.
Yes I am serious. Every team takes some walk-ons which has no appreciable value on talent to win in a conference like the ACC. Of course we have to see how this plays out because we know someone always wins the Powerball lottery. I just don't make my daily financial decisions based upon it.

I personally don't get caught up in the personal lives of our players. I want players to add victories to the win column and not take scout reps for our first team. Anyone can do that.
I expect to see you out there taking reps this year...

Yes I am serious. Every team takes some walk-ons which has no appreciable value on talent to win in a conference like the ACC. Of course we have to see how this plays out because we know someone always wins the Powerball lottery. I just don't make my daily financial decisions based upon it.
Some walk-ons? You obviously don't realize the size of many of the P5 teams that have close to 10o kids on their teams. How do you think they get around the NCAA recruiting limits? You think every walk-on is created equal?

And I am sorry that you only see these kids as a commodity to obtain wins. Perhaps the recruiting forum, which is a discussion of these kids on and off the football field isn't for you.

Some walk-ons? You obviously don't realize the size of many of the P5 teams that have close to 10o kids on their teams. How do you think they get around the NCAA recruiting limits? You think every walk-on is created equal?

And I am sorry that you only see these kids as a commodity to obtain wins. Perhaps the recruiting forum, which is a discussion of these kids on and off the football field isn't for you.
I think you're right. I think its odd that grown men discuss college football players personal angles on a public forum. I enjoy SU football for the sport of it and not for the reality TV angles of it all. Make sure you continue to marginalize any SU football fan that doesn't fit lock step into the boards' narrative and make sure you un-invite them to post.

I think you're right. I think its odd that grown men discuss college football players personal angles on a public forum. I enjoy SU football for the sport of it and not for the reality TV angles of it all. Make sure you continue to marginalize any SU football fan that doesn't fit lock step into the boards' narrative and make sure you un-invite them to post.

My point exactly that you would probably be happier posting on the football forum and not the recruiting forum.

My point exactly that you would probably be happier posting on the football forum and not the recruiting forum.
I think It would be much better if you would not tell fans of many decades what, where, and how to post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom