Judah and the team... | Syracusefan.com

Judah and the team...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Judah has had some rocky games this year, but this one was his worst. He looked rattled, really, for the first time in his young career. It's not entirely surprising. They were:

1) Playing a road game in Miami
2) Against the #16 team in the country
3) Filled with seniors and dudes who can get after it on defense

The good news is he's a freshman. The bad news is, he might be gone next year. I'm heartened by the fact that Judah rarely seems to make the same mistake twice. He has learned on the fly the whole season, and I think he'll use this to improve. It's just the type of competitor he seems to be.

Furthermore, I actually don't think it was a bad move to have him in at the end. Yes he was a trainwreck for most of the game, but he's also the point guard and the de facto leader of this team. Not having him in could do more harm long term than giving him the opportunity to make a play. He made the wrong decision and that sucks. But that's basketball.

If someone asked you based on what you know of this team up to this point in the season if you'd want Judah to have the ball in his hands with time running down in a close game, I think most everyone would unanimously say yes. Great players make plays even on bad days. Judah didn't, but I'm not sure I would have handled that closing scenario differently as a coach.

I do think this team has it in them to make a run, and I actually think a close loss on the road to Miami and a comeback close loss to UVA on the road is probably helping them with their confidence. I think this group of freshmen now realize they can play with the rest of this league. I'm hoping Judah comes back stronger, and the rest of the frosh learn from these early experiences against ranked teams on the road. I think it will pay dividends down the line.

My goal for this time is postseason play. I want to see them play in the NIT and get that experience. I don't think they'll win it or even go deep in it, but it sets a solid foundation for the future. In the meantime, I'm excited to see if these players can continue to progress and grow as quickly as they have thus far.

if this team could stay intact for next season or two...then it would be building somewhere and worthwhile to get this experience - that remains to be seen whether it will happen or not...but, unfortunately, in this era of ncaab, that simply doesnt happen much anymore (and big reason why the sport is not as good as it used to be imo)...it used to be exciting to KNOW that your team isnt great right now but WILL BE in a season or two...

now, it's just eh...who will be on the team next year??? definitely not these players that are on it right now... trying to learn a system that takes multiple years to learn...(while only having one year to do it...over and over every year)

Judah isnt really a PG (I think that will be his position at the next level and I think he will ultimately become a very good PG in his basketball future)

Hi is far from a selfish player imo - but i've seen some posts about that rrecently on here - he just has a limited toolbelt...and does what he does out there...he's still learning how to dish the ball on the drive...and to become a better facilitator...

he's also a bit light physique-wise and gets pushed around by seniors and stronger players

unfortunately the refs in the ncaabb...tend to favor home teams and tend to favor ranked teams and bluebloods and tend to ref towards buzzerbeaters (they favor which ever team is losing, generally)...I would prefer no bias,,,,,but thats not good for ratings...smdh

...he just has to adjust and not expect that it will be called fairly...he has to expect that opponents will be able to very physical and that he and his teammates will not be allowed to...and we as fans have to accept that playing field isnt fair in the acc for syracuse basketball. I cannot believe how many hard fouls went uncalled agains miami in the latest game and how many soft fouls were called against syracuse...its enough to rattle a player...even one with as much conviction as judah...

he melted down a bit in the game...and unfortunately it has happened a bit in the other games as well...i love his game...but he's actually not yet a player that i want with the ball at the end of games.

I want to see more of symir if judah is struggling like he was vs miami...he cant just stay out there when he is turning the ball over like that. there were two or three other plays lite vs miami that were worse than the last second one...and JB kept him in.

i think the goal of this team should still be NCAA tourney...however unlikely, that is the goal.

i was thinking while watching the miami game and the collapse that the institutional memory of being winners is just not there anymore for the whole team...none of these guys have really been winners or ranked even the seniors and that makes getting over the hump that much harder...

they have the talent to be an NCAA team imo...but the belief and execution is wavering often.

He struggled. Probably didn’t happen much in high school. He tried to over compensate and make a play. I like the aggression and confidence. He’ll learn from it. When Joe struggled those 3 games, he kind of shrank. His loss of confidence was obvious, even from my couch, but he worked through it and he is playing like no one can guard him. When the 3’s weren’t falling, he found another way to help. Judah will figure that out too
People have unreal expectations about the consistency of play for college athletes, especially freshman.
Even Melo had some off games.

Was more worried that Benny would be checked out for that game -but he obviously got counseled/coached and then took a nice step in the right direction.
Assume that counseling/coaching will help Judah learn from that game, and his PG game will continue to improve. Not concerned about Judah -freshman, needs time.

SU went toe-to-toe with #16 Miami at their place -
Ugly ending, but appreciated seeing improved play overall, after not long ago having little hope of seeing a competitive team this season.
Look forward now to gauging progress in the challenging games ahead.

we've got some pretty good young talent. what we need is a young coach who can develop them.

Can Judah come through tomorrow with say 9- 10 assists? Should he feed his teammates and earn their respect - then in my view is “he get’s it“, and it will help out immensely as we try to get to the bubble. He will likely thus have more energy at the end of games which is a real good thing.

Yeah Judah really started to Excel and it just seems like it always happens this way but it would be I mean it was consistently Judah down the stretch and that was pretty much it consistently that is and what the hell happened to JB's favorite the son he didn't have have on this year's team

It seems like I've never heard him once bad-mouth Joe the way he bad mouthed players throughout JB's career during press conferences and you know that's fine, whatever if it's the truth but I mean keep it real don't play that favorite s*** too I mean that's like another personality flaw man.

You know comma I mean 18-year-old kids right they own these thing called TVs I don't know if coach knows that and I'm sure when you see a player watching that why the hell would he want to go play for a coach who's going to throw them under the freaking bus constantly even their parents for that matter.

Also you're not only bad mouthing these guys but you're taking somebody who had a pretty much a lousy year, a down year for his senior year especially. I'll take one step further I think he digressed this season and I hardly ever heard him talk or say anything bad about him and that's BS because that's just going to create even more animosity.

I really wouldn't be surprised if this would be like mass Exodus. Of course I hope that's not the case but if he comes back to coach it doesn't freaking matter anyway period I really believe that because he is barely a shadow of who he used to be but I think I think you'll get the point LOL but it's just very very important time in terms of making this decision and I think they're just not going to do nothing and I'll be outraged

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom