Judah at 2G won’t work either | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Judah at 2G won’t work either

He needs to play the point and pass the ball. He's our only scorer and yet he needs to pass more for us to be effective. I've given up on him caring about D, but he can improve our offense simply by sharing the ball and cutting down on dumb shots.

Totally agree.

much much rather have Mintz shoot 3s than taylor, Q, benny etc...all of whom have been piling up the bricks lately

would like to see mintz shooting more 3s...when he gets hot he is a good shooter

same with JJ...he started shooting well from 3 but doesnt get any volume
Mintz is 2/15 in his last 7 games shooting the three. JJ is 3/15 in his last 5 games shooting the three. I mean I get that we have to keep the defense honest I guess, but not quite sure how to go about that.

Last edited:
Mintz is 2/15 in his last 7 games shooting the three. JJ is 3/15 in his last 5 games shooting the three. I mean I get that we have to keep the defense honest I guess, but not quite sure how to go about that.
ok but i'd still rather have judah shoot 3s than the other 3 players I listed.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I personally don’t feel like Judah at the 2 will work out. I’m trying to think of another teams 2G who doesn’t/can’t shoot the ball well from extended two point/three point range. If he is just camped on the outside perimeter waiting for the ball, his defender won’t be right on him which will still make it tough on others and will also make him catching the ball and trying to drive even harder than he currently has since he now at least gets a head start. Nobody will ever have to face guard him, which is the key to having your 2G be a weapon to shoot because it then makes the offense essentially 4 on 4 by dragging a defender a long ways away from the basket/action.

I'm trying to think of anyone on this team who does.

Wherever Judah is, there will be somebody on him.

if judah wants to jump this year (and we know he does) his best chance of improving his draft stock is making the NCAA tourney . and to do that he's got to make the players around him better. you can showboat and talk all you want once we're seeded. but i guarantee you're not getting there alone.
Where is he on draft boards now. I wish posters would not be so negative about him. He is good, not perfect. He is exciting and entertaining. Unfortunately he is not the top point guard in the country. Pearl ain't walking through the door.

judah may well be a good three point option. but he's not gonna get open looks with the ball in his hands. he needs to dish and get open then shoot. if he thinks just getting to the line is gonna get him in the league... ain't happening.

judah may well be a good three point option. but he's not gonna get open looks with the ball in his hands. he needs to dish and get open then shoot. if he thinks just getting to the line is gonna get him in the league... ain't happening.
That's why Q needs to be the PG, his ability to penetrate, and pass would give Judah better looks.

He isn't a point guard, he is a combo guard who would be better off the ball.
Good post. He is a scorer. He isn't a distributor.
Copeland is the one player on the team who is a great passer. He looks to pass first. Judah looks to score.

Isn't it nice having a player widely considered one of the best players in college basketball? Too bad he's not this or that. Personally I would like to see more of the Judah I watched play in the NBA combine last year. More passing and more 3 point shooting.

He needs to play the point and pass the ball. He's our only scorer and yet he needs to pass more for us to be effective. I've given up on him caring about D, but he can improve our offense simply by sharing the ball and cutting down on dumb shots.
Scoring and passing don't have to conflict. Sherman Douglas led us in scoring as a sophomore.

Pass to JJ or JT is a waste of time.

I would not take Bell off the floor unless he is totally gassed.
I actually agree with this a whole lot. He's got a bunch of flaws in his game(rebounding in particular), but he's the only person on this roster, that I would really trust to make a three. And by no means do I think he's a great shooter, but on this team he's the best we have(by a long shot), and he's gotta be out there to keep the defense from sitting in.

Davis, the guard Judah just played, is very good.

Judah is a good technical player but fails at some of the basic requirements as a point guard like floor vision creating for others.

Since he can't do the basics of making others around him better, he's really not a very good point guard.

This isn't a new problem and we've got quite a recent history of shoehorning combo guards that aren't true point guards into playing point guard and showcasing their limitations at the job. Culturally, that needs to change and we need to get some real PG's in.

Judah is a player that can get hot and carry a team on any given night with lots of points... usually against middling or lower competition.

When he gets shut down by a better team (like UNC) he forces his selfish ball approach into bad and contested shots, misses many, and is a liability on the court. He also gets frustrated and lapses on defense when this happens, which compounds his liabilities on the court.
Right. That's 100% why I didn't say point guard. I agree that roster transformation will help. Having Judah return was probably the best bet at an NCAA birth this season.

I don't think he went into selfish mode vs UNC. He does lapse on D a bit.

Not having the talent that UNC has isn't a new problem either. We'll build towards it, I'd imagine. The incoming class looks pretty solid to me.

His flaw is that he isn’t a volume shooter?

I had the same though, but then I re-read what he said. I think he said it in the context that he doesn't have the skills to be an effective high volume shooter, but I could be wrong.

Isn't it nice having a player widely considered one of the best players in college basketball? Too bad he's not this or that. Personally I would like to see more of the Judah I watched play in the NBA combine last year. More passing and more 3 point shooting.

That's the point... I think we all were expecting that.

Scoring and passing don't have to conflict. Sherman Douglas led us in scoring as a sophomore.

While that's true, it's pretty rare. You're using an example from 35 years ago.

Where is he on draft boards now. I wish posters would not be so negative about him. He is good, not perfect. He is exciting and entertaining. Unfortunately he is not the top point guard in the country. Pearl ain't walking through the door.

Yes, that's completely fair. I'd just like to see him try a little harder at the point guard part.

While that's true, it's pretty rare. You're using an example from 35 years ago.
It was a quick one that came immediately to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of scoring guards that can also set guys up.

It was a quick one that came immediately to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of scoring guards that can also set guys up.
Flynn as a sophomore was leading scorer,
Devo was 2nd.

Jonny Flynn is a more recent guy, though he was a while ago. Man, time flies!

Jonny Flynn is a more recent guy, though he was a while ago. Man, time flies!
Yeah, I wouldn't expect to find anyone recent from our program with the lack of talent we've had. I'm sure there are more recent examples from other schools.

Pass to JJ or JT is a waste of time.
this aged like milk
much much rather have Mintz shoot 3s than taylor, Q, benny etc...all of whom have been piling up the bricks lately

would like to see mintz shooting more 3s...when he gets hot he is a good shooter

same with JJ...he started shooting well from 3 but doesnt get any volume
welp...im glad JJ has been getting a lot of looks lately...hopefully it continues because he is lethal when he is involved...i dont think its possible to give JJ too much volume,

for me, JJ has to be the primary scoring option on this team. with bell a close second when he's out there.

Mintz needs to focus more on distribution and forget about stat padding.

he can drive any time he wants ....but putting his head down and driving into 3/4 defenders is a low % play and should only be last resort, imo...it happens way too often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom