Judah at 2G won’t work either | Syracusefan.com

Judah at 2G won’t work either

Cstate

Scout Team
I don’t know what the answer is, but I personally don’t feel like Judah at the 2 will work out. I’m trying to think of another teams 2G who doesn’t/can’t shoot the ball well from extended two point/three point range. If he is just camped on the outside perimeter waiting for the ball, his defender won’t be right on him which will still make it tough on others and will also make him catching the ball and trying to drive even harder than he currently has since he now at least gets a head start. Nobody will ever have to face guard him, which is the key to having your 2G be a weapon to shoot because it then makes the offense essentially 4 on 4 by dragging a defender a long ways away from the basket/action.

Last edited:
He needs to play the point and pass the ball. He's our only scorer and yet he needs to pass more for us to be effective. I've given up on him caring about D, but he can improve our offense simply by sharing the ball and cutting down on dumb shots.

Mintz at the two guard will lead to even more disaster as far as defensive transition. He would have to rotate back on defense. He doesn’t get back now. His defensive effort alone should limit his minutes. He’s the laziest player on the team. Benny is a very close second.

he also needs to actually start shooting 3s...seems gun shy from deep. Im worried its about maintaining his %

instead of, you know, like doing whatever it takes to win.
Yeah, I think there is some truth to that. I think he's been told to limit his 3s to have a higher percentage. I don't really have an issue with this, because he isn't a good 3pt shooter so he should only be taking them if they're really good shots. Just from the last game or two, his 3 percentage is down to 35%. I think Judah is about what he shot last year - 30% shooter from deep.

Yeah, I think there is some truth to that. I think he's been told to limit his 3s to have a higher percentage. I don't really have an issue with this, because he isn't a good 3pt shooter so he should only be taking them if they're really good shots. Just from the last game or two, his 3 percentage is down to 35%. I think Judah is about what he shot last year - 30% shooter from deep.
Agreed. He is 2 for 15 over his last 7 games since the Cornell outburst.

Agreed. He is 2 for 15 over his last 7 games since the Cornell outburst.
They have actually started covering him, which makes his lack of production inside all the more disappointing

When your “best” player isn’t elite the ceiling is very low. Remember Judah was headed to DePaul before we swooped in. Bottom tier Big East is about right. If we are being honest. The program needs honesty more than anything IMO.

When your “best” player isn’t elite the ceiling is very low. Remember Judah was headed to DePaul before we swooped in. Bottom tier Big East is about right. If we are being honest. The program needs honesty more than anything IMO.
This is a ridiculous take lol

The basketball side gets existential when we lose to a top 10 team. Red is building it back, this year is a step towards it being better. That it’s not Syracuse in its hey day instantly is not a surprise. Judah is a very very good guard w a flaw in that he’s not a volume shooter. If our roster was more balanced we wouldn’t need him to be.

The basketball side gets existential when we lose to a top 10 team. Red is building it back, this year is a step towards it being better. That it’s not Syracuse in its hey day instantly is not a surprise. Judah is a very very good guard w a flaw in that he’s not a volume shooter. If our roster was more balanced we wouldn’t need him to be.

Davis, the guard Judah just played, is very good.

Judah is a good technical player but fails at some of the basic requirements as a point guard like floor vision creating for others.

Since he can't do the basics of making others around him better, he's really not a very good point guard.

This isn't a new problem and we've got quite a recent history of shoehorning combo guards that aren't true point guards into playing point guard and showcasing their limitations at the job. Culturally, that needs to change and we need to get some real PG's in.

Judah is a player that can get hot and carry a team on any given night with lots of points... usually against middling or lower competition.

When he gets shut down by a better team (like UNC) he forces his selfish ball approach into bad and contested shots, misses many, and is a liability on the court. He also gets frustrated and lapses on defense when this happens, which compounds his liabilities on the court.

Last edited:

His flaw is that he isn’t a volume shooter?

Bell at 2g! Been saying this! Why not? We need his elite rebounding ability in the front court??
Need 2 or preferred 3 guys who can knock down threes. Bell is one, then I’m not sure. Houston we have a problem. Might disturb the apple cart but Red needs to get an elite shooting 6’8” forward transfer next year while we work Freeman in.

I think Bell needs to be on the floor too. They have to find him in scoring opportunities. He should be their number one option in transition. They have to find him. Transition now is the ball handler putting their head down and just driving to the hoop.

I think Bell needs to be on the floor too. They have to find him in scoring opportunities. He should be their number one option in transition. They have to find him. Transition now is the ball handler putting their head down and just driving to the hoop.
I would not take Bell off the floor unless he is totally gassed.

Judah is a good technical player but fails at some of the basic requirements as a point guard like floor vision creating for others.
if judah wants to jump this year (and we know he does) his best chance of improving his draft stock is making the NCAA tourney . and to do that he's got to make the players around him better. you can showboat and talk all you want once we're seeded. but i guarantee you're not getting there alone.

if judah wants to jump this year (and we know he does) his best chance of improving his draft stock is making the NCAA tourney . and to do that he's got to make the players around him better. you can showboat and talk all you want once we're seeded. but i guarantee you're not getting there alone.

At this point, either he doesn't get it or he is incapable (thus far) of changing how he plays for whatever reason...

I'm guessing it's the latter. It's not like he didn't get the feedback he needed after testing the NBA waters last year.

At this point, either he doesn't get it or he is incapable (thus far) of changing how he plays for whatever reason...

I'm guessing it's the latter. It's not like he didn't get the feedback he needed after testing the NBA waters last year.
He isn't a point guard, he is a combo guard who would be better off the ball.

His flaw is that he isn’t a volume shooter?
much much rather have Mintz shoot 3s than taylor, Q, benny etc...all of whom have been piling up the bricks lately

would like to see mintz shooting more 3s...when he gets hot he is a good shooter

same with JJ...he started shooting well from 3 but doesnt get any volume

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom