Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist?

...apologies, my comment was not directed at the players, rather the teams! The teams with the NIL money will get the pick of the litter year in and year out! As we all suspect the NIL game has been going on for years, it is just now above the table.

It was Kentucky. Then it was and is Duke.

NIL, foreign players, OTE and GLI are flattening the top of college because of where the talent can go and come from.

Duke in the NBA right now:
$300M this year in salary
$1.2B in career earnings

Kentucky:
$390M
$1.47B

It was never fair.

I wonder why??!!!

Ignorant comments like the one you responded to clutter 80% of threads like this. Posters state as fact negatives about these kids with zero first hand knowledge what their values and motivations are. Well meaning posters with real personal information don’t stick around long in that type of an environment.

Nothing wrong with critiquing the play, but when the line is crossed to demean the character of the player no positive purpose is served.
Well said. This thread is especially interesting since Judah is not reliable, or coachable, and has a huge list of major flaws but yet also he would be one of the top players in the portal if not the top and would be making a huge NIL bag.

How can the Portal / NIL market be so wrong cuz I know the Syracusefan.com comments are not wrong?

Well said. This thread is especially interesting since Judah is not reliable, or coachable, and has a huge list of major flaws but yet also he would be one of the top players in the portal if not the top and would be making a huge NIL bag.

How can the Portal / NIL market be so wrong cuz I know the Syracusefan.com comments are not wrong?

He’s fallen off draft boards. Not moved up.

Please explain why.

You are stating your opinion as fact with him being one of the top or THE TOP player in the portal.

So if we don’t blindly draft hagiographies for our posts for certain players, we’re the problem?

Give me a break. This is the same stuff that was the reason people were explaining away our poor play over the last decade, especially the last half.

He’s fallen off draft boards. Not moved up.

Please explain why.

You are stating your opinion as fact with him being one of the top or THE TOP player in the portal.

So if we don’t blindly draft hagiographies for our posts for certain players, we’re the problem?

Give me a break. This is the same stuff that was the reason people were explaining away our poor play over the last decade, especially the last half.

In fairness the draft board and portal really don't have much in common. If they did Hunter Dickerson and Armando Bacot would be in the league.

In fairness the draft board and portal really don't have much in common. If they did Hunter Dickerson and Armando Bacot would be in the league.

He was on boards and now he’s off in the worst draft in a decade. and he’s way off.

He will not be the top talent in the portal, imo.

While the nba and college are two massively different levels of talent, there is a connection bw why he’s sliding off and why, imo, he won’t be the top or a top talent transferring in terms of recognized NIL dollars.

Yup. Judah’s biggest issue is not having an interior threat this year. Maliq is not a post up interior player. So you’re left with trying to only do ball screens with no threat inside. It changes how teams guard him and the whole team.

He was on boards and now he’s off in the worst draft in a decade. and he’s way off.

He will not be the top talent in the portal, imo.

While the nba and college are two massively different levels of talent, there is a connection bw why he’s sliding off and why, imo, he won’t be the top or a top talent transferring in terms of recognized NIL dollars.

I have no idea on that, I do know the Georgetown fans were lusting after a local kid who got away in December.

He's a guard that can generally get 20 plus at will, there's some value in that.

His jumper is spotty, he cries to much, and the foul hunting can be extreme - doesn't play great at the next level.

But on this team it's hard to be a big assist machine. Minus one guy he has no one rolling to the hoop.

I have no idea on that, I do know the Georgetown fans were lusting after a local kid who got away in December.

He's a guard that can generally get 20 plus at will, there's some value in that.

His jumper is spotty, he cries to much, and the foul hunting can be extreme - doesn't play great at the next level.

But on this team it's hard to be a big assist machine. Minus one guy he has no one rolling to the hoop.

You have to want to / be able to / work on hitting a roll guy.

It’s hard. Takes work.

I’m not denying Judah is talented as a player on the floor. He’s going to get points.

But as a lead guard whose job it is to raise the level of the team? Very debatable.

With overseas prospects and the G league ignite there are 30-40 spots available for NCAA players.

Even if Mintz doesn't crack that group hes still going to the combine, getting summer league run, and should get a 2 way deal. If he has a big year as a junior he's probably in the same boat he just might be a better player when hes fighting for his pro career.

How can JJ Starling play 40 minutes per night and have so few assists? You have to try to have assist numbers that low yet Judah gets all the flak on here. He seems like an unselfish team player has good ball handling skills I think hes done fine limiting the turnovers can someone tell me how he only has 1.8 assists per game?

With overseas prospects and the G league ignite there are 30-40 spots available for NCAA players.

Even if Mintz doesn't crack that group hes still going to the combine, getting summer league run, and should get a 2 way deal. If he has a big year as a junior he's probably in the same boat he just might be a better player when hes fighting for his pro career.

How can JJ Starling play 40 minutes per night and have so few assists? You have to try to have assist numbers that low yet Judah gets all the flak on here. He seems like an unselfish team player has good ball handling skills I think hes done fine limiting the turnovers can someone tell me how he only has 1.8 assists per game?
You can’t get assists if you don’t possess the ball. The ball’s in Judah’s hands A LOT. Much more than JJ. That said, you’re right JJ hasn’t been a good distributor. His job’s putting the ball in the bucket.

People don’t understand it because it’s secretive. I hear we’re competitive but I don’t know what our budget is. Do you know what our bball budget is?

One thing that sucks is there’s always going to be a handful of programs that go all in on any given year. Georgetown has $5 million in NIL to spend on next year’s basketball team. Some big state flagships have more. I hope the system somehow gets regulated soon. Salary cap or something would be nice. And just make the schools pay since it’s pay for play with full tampering anyway.
If a school posted their budget they’d be the biggest morons on Earth

You have to want to / be able to / work on hitting a roll guy.

It’s hard. Takes work.

I’m not denying Judah is talented as a player on the floor. He’s going to get points.

But as a lead guard whose job it is to raise the level of the team? Very debatable.

We have one ok roll guy in MB and I guess QC is a jack of all trades. That's the list. (It's also a different problem that Freeman will greatly solve next year)

JJ? Wish he was more selfish if anything.

People are looking at assist numbers like it's a different era of pass first guards dumping the ball down low. We don't have that currently.

Judah is not a perfect player but he's certainly a player we should welcome back with open arms. Lots of people on this board like to attack him for his weaknesses (both perceived and real). I get that he can kill offensive rhythm and be a ball-stopper. But he also is an elite drawer of fouls (one of the most valuable offensive skills in the entire game) and simply a guy who can get you tough buckets. I also like the attitude with which Judah plays the game -- always has a smile on his face but still gets hyped

is Georgetown at the “top of the portal market”? I get they might have money available but…I mean….they are currently one of the worst teams in a major conference.

I’m not denying we need more talent. But Judah isn’t helping raise the potential of others which is his job as lead guard.
You and I are generally on the same page with this stuff. I don't think it's something that comes naturally to him, but it's hard for me to even envision most of our players being able to score without the attention that Judah is constantly commanding. I don't think Judah is the ideal lead guard, but he's the only thing close to a lead guard on our roster right now. Maybe the offense only looks the way it does because of Judah's limitations, but considering the way it's looked every other season in recent memory, I tend to doubt it. It would be excellent if we could roll into next season with Judah as the lead guard and some hopeful development from JJ and Copeland to take more of the load off of Judah's shoulders. I would much much rather that scenario than having to go out and find a lead guard in the portal again.

You and I are generally on the same page with this stuff. I don't think it's something that comes naturally to him, but it's hard for me to even envision most of our players being able to score without the attention that Judah is constantly commanding. I don't think Judah is the ideal lead guard, but he's the only thing close to a lead guard on our roster right now. Maybe the offense only looks the way it does because of Judah's limitations, but considering the way it's looked every other season in recent memory, I tend to doubt it. It would be excellent if we could roll into next season with Judah as the lead guard and some hopeful development from JJ and Copeland to take more of the load off of Judah's shoulders. I would much much rather that scenario than having to go out and find a lead guard in the portal again.

I think Q is more of a natural lead guar, albeit flawed, than Judah.

Judah is a scorer and needs the ball to do what he does. But the only reason he’s listed as a PG/CG is bc of his size.

Judah doesn’t have elite athleticism or speed. He’s not a drop dead shooter. He’s not even an elite finisher. He can be crafty and get into the teeth of the D and draw fouls which is great.

I don’t think it’s as tough to defend him as others. In fact, I think most coaches want him shooting a lot vs when we spread the ball around.

He’s talented. But we’re not talking ab all American here.

Also, one note, to me Q and JJ are two entirely different players.

I think Q is more of a natural lead guar, albeit flawed, than Judah.

Judah is a scorer and needs the ball to do what he does. But the only reason he’s listed as a PG/CG is bc of his size.

Judah doesn’t have elite athleticism or speed. He’s not a drop dead shooter. He’s not even an elite finisher. He can be crafty and get into the teeth of the D and draw fouls which is great.

I don’t think it’s as tough to defend him as others. In fact, I think most coaches want him shooting a lot vs when we spread the ball around.

He’s talented. But we’re not talking ab all American here.

Also, one note, to me Q and JJ are two entirely different players.
Q definitely offers some hope of becoming that kind of player. I think he offers a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses as Judah right now and he's gained a lot of ground on Judah as a player this season.

I'm thrilled with the strides JJ's made shooting the ball this season but I don't really see him in that mold at all.

Q definitely offers some hope of becoming that kind of player. I think he offers a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses as Judah right now and he's gained a lot of ground on Judah as a player this season.

I'm thrilled with the strides JJ's made shooting the ball this season but I don't really see him in that mold at all.

Agreed. And to be clear, I do think Judah is talented. Even today he made some tough buckets.

Yup. Judah’s biggest issue is not having an interior threat this year. Maliq is not a post up interior player. So you’re left with trying to only do ball screens with no threat inside. It changes how teams guard him and the whole team.
This is wrong on a number of levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom