Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist?

I would bet he is putting the work in. Become a good outside shooter rarely happens later for players. Sure they can improve but I doubt that Judah ever becomes a knock down three shooter, just like Joe was never going to develop a great handle. Both of these guys are extremely skilled in one aspect, average in another. Excellent college players who don't have the all around greatness required to make the NBA.
My guess is Judah takes a pay day. Has a cup of coffee in the NBA and a great career overseas.

That team was the opposite of this one. So much better than their record indicated
Couldn’t stop a nose bleed which ultimately did us in. Some monster wins but also some crushing losses and we got dinged for not being able to get any wins on the road. Only one that I can remember of note was NC State when Gillon went nuclear.

That team was the opposite of this one. So much better than their record indicated
That was one of Boeheim’s worst coaching jobs. Starting year with Andrew White and Frank Howard at guard with Robertson and Lydon at forward was so slow with no ball handling.
Once Gillon and Battle started getting minutes team really grew. White was an awesome three man. Battle getting flu? during the middle of the year killed momentum.

It's hysterical.

I mean you can't walk around here without tripping over all the posts trashing Starling, Cuffe and Westry for selling out their programs and portaling to SU.

Oh wait...
Full disclosure obviously I feel differently about players coming in instead of out, which I guess is hypocritical but that's being a fan. But also let's look at the key difference between who we've gotten and who we've lost the last few years, and it objectively seems like we're getting burned and the guys we receive aren't burning anyone:

our Transfers:
-Starling - coach fired and whole team left
-Cuffe - buried on the bench at the best program in the sport and never likely to play much
-Westry - injured and barely played last year and coach screwed up his redshirt by 1 minute PT too much
-McLeod - bench piece playing 10 mpg

Our transfers last year:
-Hima - bench on bad mid major

Our transfers the year before that:
-Symir - bench piece playing 10 mpg
-Cole - bench piece who was limited
-Jimmy - coach's son from a mid major taking a step up

Now let's look at who we're upset about losing:
-potentially Judah - most talented player on team, first player getting even a little draft buzz in a few years, and Day 1 starter with the keys to the offense
-potentially Maliq - insiders have posted concerns but not sure if he's actually looking - most important player on the team and a starter
-maybe others but outside of Copeland and Westry I won't be upset about anyone else leaving so I won't have this reaction

Last year who we were upset about losing:
-Jesse - starter, All ACC previous year, best player and would be team leader and featured in offense
-Joe - 4 year starter, albeit different circumstances because he would have played less here
-no one cared about Bol entering the portal or Symir transferring because they were bench pieces and no one felt burned

Prior to that -
Frank - bench piece who received lots of coaching criticism so it made sense and while we wanted him to stay we weren't flipping because we understood why he left. That's 3 years so not getting into Guerrier, who was a starter and JB said could be an all american here, and Kadary, who was our best pg but it made sense that he left if he wasn't starting over JG, and the other depth such as braswell etc. who people didn't flip over since they weren't the featured guys here.

So the guys we receive aren't burning their program - we're not getting key starters so far. (Not that I wouldn't welcome starters burning their previous program with open arms because I'm a Cuse fan.) But the guys we're losing are starting, getting loads of PT and freedom, and therefore it feels like more of a burn. Of course I'm practical and understand it's now a business decision and we can't expect our players to bleed orange like we do or the old players did, but it sucks adjusting to this. Feels like we're getting burned more than we're burning others. And that's the landscape now so hopefully we respond in kind (disclaimer - I'm not doubting we will, just explaining what I've noticed the last couple years and why my reaction, and other's reactions, are strong).

TLDR: I'm sad and want us to be good.

That was one of Boeheim’s worst coaching jobs. Starting year with Andrew White and Frank Howard at guard with Robertson and Lydon at forward was so slow with no ball handling.
Once Gillon and Battle started getting minutes team really grew. White was an awesome three man. Battle getting flu? during the middle of the year killed momentum.
just 9 scholarship players, including 2 injured centers, instead of the 11 available. A zone defense with two frosh, a soph, and two grad transfers. Had Chukwu not been out for the season, the D probably would have been slightly better but Lydon did a pretty good job filling in.

I personally do not see Judah transferring. I suppose it is possible for NIL money but it would likely set him further back on his professional aspirations. Its highly unlikely that learning a new system somewhere else is going to make him more desirable to the NBA. The new team is seeking him out to continue doing what he has been doing successful in college. If he is going to a new college team next season then that means what he has been doing did not get him drafted.

I expect his path will be the same as last offseason except he stays in the daft. If no NBA then D league for a couple seasons. If still no NBA then professionally abroad. He is very talented and I would not be shocked at all to see him fix his shot and develop into a very good scoring PG in D league. That could get him a ticket as a bench guard somewhere in the NBA.

Does it change the truth of what I’ve said? It’s the magic of the word “if”.
The truth is you said, and I quote, “The kid is good enough to be an NBA player.” That’s a definitive statement. No ifs, ands, or buts. The only illusion is your attempt to walk that back.

Full disclosure obviously I feel differently about players coming in instead of out, which I guess is hypocritical but that's being a fan. But also let's look at the key difference between who we've gotten and who we've lost the last few years, and it objectively seems like we're getting burned and the guys we receive aren't burning anyone:

our Transfers:
-Starling - coach fired and whole team left
-Cuffe - buried on the bench at the best program in the sport and never likely to play much
-Westry - injured and barely played last year and coach screwed up his redshirt by 1 minute PT too much
-McLeod - bench piece playing 10 mpg

Our transfers last year:
-Hima - bench on bad mid major

Our transfers the year before that:
-Symir - bench piece playing 10 mpg
-Cole - bench piece who was limited
-Jimmy - coach's son from a mid major taking a step up

Now let's look at who we're upset about losing:
-potentially Judah - most talented player on team, first player getting even a little draft buzz in a few years, and Day 1 starter with the keys to the offense
-potentially Maliq - insiders have posted concerns but not sure if he's actually looking - most important player on the team and a starter
-maybe others but outside of Copeland and Westry I won't be upset about anyone else leaving so I won't have this reaction

Last year who we were upset about losing:
-Jesse - starter, All ACC previous year, best player and would be team leader and featured in offense
-Joe - 4 year starter, albeit different circumstances because he would have played less here
-no one cared about Bol entering the portal or Symir transferring because they were bench pieces and no one felt burned

Prior to that -
Frank - bench piece who received lots of coaching criticism so it made sense and while we wanted him to stay we weren't flipping because we understood why he left. That's 3 years so not getting into Guerrier, who was a starter and JB said could be an all american here, and Kadary, who was our best pg but it made sense that he left if he wasn't starting over JG, and the other depth such as braswell etc. who people didn't flip over since they weren't the featured guys here.

So the guys we receive aren't burning their program - we're not getting key starters so far. (Not that I wouldn't welcome starters burning their previous program with open arms because I'm a Cuse fan.) But the guys we're losing are starting, getting loads of PT and freedom, and therefore it feels like more of a burn. Of course I'm practical and understand it's now a business decision and we can't expect our players to bleed orange like we do or the old players did, but it sucks adjusting to this. Feels like we're getting burned more than we're burning others. And that's the landscape now so hopefully we respond in kind (disclaimer - I'm not doubting we will, just explaining what I've noticed the last couple years and why my reaction, and other's reactions, are strong).

TLDR: I'm sad and want us to be good.
Red is the coach now and not JB. Everyone here wanted Westry and JJ last year so not sure your point.

I don't think Judah is the most talented player on the team. He's arguably been our 4th or 5th best player in ACC play.

Let this play out. If he wants a bigger bag I'd let him go and get someone with better value.

I just hope the level of commitment is there for basketball the way it is for football.

I was at SU for the end of the Coach P era and first years of GRob and remember the attendance/fan engagement being quite strong for a team that was mediocre at best and godawful at worst. I live far from campus now but my general sense from keeping up with things is that the donor base wants football to punch at the level they were at in the 80's and 90's and will do anything it can to get it there, but thinks the basketball side has everything it needs to succeed with the facilities, staff and the history and so they put more pressure on the coaches/players and don't see nearly as big a need to support through NIL donations the way they do for football. Am I off there?

if he can't make the NBA, he should absolutely maximize his earning potential while in college.

I have no problem with it.

Good luck to him, truly. Let's finish this year strong and then whatever happens, happens.

Yep- he’s a talented player for sure. My thing with Judah is will he put in the work and be willing to get coached up to make the jump or lean on the player he is to put numbers up? In year 2 we haven’t seen him do it but maybe year 3? Hard to say as a bigger bag means more luxury lifestyle. If he can be a 35 pct 3pt shooter and a 14/6 vs an 18/4 player sign me up to pay the young man. Otherwise portal in

I just hope the level of commitment is there for basketball the way it is for football.

I was at SU for the end of the Coach P era and first years of GRob and remember the attendance/fan engagement being quite strong for a team that was mediocre at best and godawful at worst. I live far from campus now but my general sense from keeping up with things is that the donor base wants football to punch at the level they were at in the 80's and 90's and will do anything it can to get it there, but thinks the basketball side has everything it needs to succeed with the facilities, staff and the history and so they put more pressure on the coaches/players and don't see nearly as big a need to support through NIL donations the way they do for football. Am I off there?
Yes, you’re off. Some of you obviously have shell shock from Jesse leaving.

Yes, you’re off. Some of you obviously have shell shock from Jesse leaving.
More of a combo of Jesse leaving and McLeod being the best we could do to backfill when it was clear he was damaged goods. I was never expecting us to get Dickinson, just thought we could do better even under the circumstances. Hopefully it's water under the bridge now.

More of a combo of Jesse leaving and McLeod being the best we could do to backfill when it was clear he was damaged goods. I was never expecting us to get Dickinson, just thought we could do better even under the circumstances. Hopefully it's water under the bridge now.
After Dickinson there weren't many bigs to go after who we thought would be immediately eligible.

Syracuse, Clemson, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Georgetown, Memphis, Rutgers, Minnesota and Ole Miss all had initially reached out. Kansas and Villanova also showed interest.

It wasn't like we recruited him against mid majors.

Lot of people just simply don’t understand this, they still think we are where we were when Jesse was here.

What a world.

Imagine running a vast business enterprise where millions upon millions of dollars are running through your fingertips. And, somehow, miraculously get your customers to buy in and pay for your employee raises and promotions without costing you a dime. And reaping all the financial benefits.

Only in America!

i'd say our best teams all had top level NBA draft talent
And Judah isn't ... so I don't get the hand wringing. Teams with NBA talent lose a lot of games too. Just look at the last decade of SU Hoops. Since 2014, Syracuse has had 15 players get NBA minutes. The same number as Villanova. UConn has had 9. They have two titles in that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom