Jumbo is a jumbo failure | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jumbo is a jumbo failure

Many of the unsuccessful jumbo plays used zone(lateral) blocking. They seemed to introduce some Man(drive) blocking against UConn with better results. It's possible, against a more physical Dline they prefer zone, for now.

Watched LSU zone blocking at the goal line, with eventual results. I think if they mix it up, it may become a more successful package.

AKA Chip's strategy when encountering a jumbo package.

Everyone has a move.

-Vt0vpqGJmhBaeIf9KsOTNWGlDTfY9AXaE_xBdsrcHw.jpg

Another thing about TJP, it allows teams to sub. SU is flying down moving the ball...stops...puts TJP in and the D can get rest along with getting the correct players in.

Yup, rest and matchup personel wise. At the end of the day, playing modern-day offense is about deception and personel packages trying to get defenders out of the box and then take advantage of numbers. The days of running power packages and running plays with the attitude of we are gonna run you over and out meathead a defense, are gone.

There were opportunities on the edge last week with ED and our athletes at rb and wr.

Yup, rest and matchup personel wise. At the end of the day, playing modern-day offense is about deception and personel packages trying to get defenders out of the box and then take advantage of numbers. The days of running power packages and running plays with the attitude of we are gonna run you over and out meathead a defense, are gone.

There were opportunities on the edge last week with ED and our athletes at rb and wr.
For as progressive as Dino can be he does have a meathead side to him.

For as progressive as Dino can be he does have a meathead side to him.

Don't get me wrong, i love his thinking out if the box, his box of spread, read, go fast, and attack. Not sure why that wouldn't hold true in the red zone and/or short yardage.

We have lacked offensive spacing thus far and testing the edge and space in general with our young wrs. The bubbles where the ball is thrown 25 yards to Riley to pick up 4 yards isnt spreading it out.

Dino is an excellent coach. Playing against Eastern Illinois and BG foes is a different gig then the second toughest division in college football .
I truly think that we have taken a step back without Lewis.

Dino is an excellent coach. Playing against Eastern Illinois and BG foes is a different gig then the second toughest division in college football .
Not sure the facts support that step back. We are 4 and 1 now with a higher scoring average. Meanwhile, Lewis may get something done at Kent State, but not this season.

Yes to be fair the entire Clemson dline are top 20 picks.
Of course it did. After having our Jumbo package stuffed repeatedly why didnt we mix it up?

I keep seeing this argument pop up about taking a step back. If anything I think we have adjusted well to the personnel we have (or don't have with Ravian being out). Most new coordinators will take time to adjust personnel and packages but there doesn't seem to be too much of a hiccup since last year. The biggest challenge I saw early on was dropped passes but Butler and Riley seem better focused now than in the first few games.

Of course it did. After having our Jumbo package stuffed repeatedly why didnt we mix it up?

Where in the play by play is this?

And there is the payoff for running the jumbo

Jumbo was 2 for 2 yesterday. Nice to see Howard and Hackett getting the TD's as well.