Jumbo is a jumbo failure | Syracusefan.com

Jumbo is a jumbo failure

kcsu

Living Legend
I watched the Florida State and Clemson games and our Jumbo package is a huge failure. With the exception of Erics Touchdown which was based on his effort vs the scheme working the Jumbo package failed on every play. I couldn't find one instance where it was even remotely successful.

Did the talent on Clemson’s DL have anything to do with that?

Not a fan of it either. Hoping that some wr's and te's step up so Dino use them inside the 5 instead.

cant abandon it now. Teams become better run teams by being resilient and staying committed to their philosophy. Find answers and make tweaks. I also think we faced some good D lines in FSU and Clemson.

I didn't see it being effective in the other 3 games either. Don't abandon it, use it a lot less frequantly.

Against the two most talented D’s we’ve faced it’s been not as good as vs the others? Really shocked lol.

So far, if you asked me what a TD looked like in 2018 - the play I’d think of is Eric behind a jumbo line and Elmore finding the end zone. He’s scored a ton of them this season.

Spread teams typically have trouble in the red zone. I’m all for whatever we have to do get TD’s.

And yet they kick a lot of FG's from inside the 5. Look at their red zone numbers.

#5 from FSU was the main reason it didn't work
Clemson has a NFL DLine
The package should get better as it worked well against WMU in the first half

#5 from FSU was the main reason it didn't work
Clemson has a NFL DLine
The package should get better as it worked well against WMU in the first half

WMU figured out how to stop it and then did.

cant abandon it now. Teams become better run teams by being resilient and staying committed to their philosophy. Find answers and make tweaks. I also think we faced some good D lines in FSU and Clemson.

I wish Lynch stayed committed to our traditional run plays rather than calling jet sweeps, shovel passes or QB keepers.

I think Lynch sometimes is one of those OCs who flip through their script and find a gadget play they love and call it at the expense of calling a play that’s already worked 4-5 times.

For all of Deleone’s faults he was a master at calling the same effective plays and figuring out how to disguise the same play (e.g. run the same concept out of a different formation).

I know he got stale at the end of his tenure (R2P2). I think Lewis was one of those OCs who called the same play (or used the same concept) until an opposing D proved they had it snuffed out.

I wish Lynch stayed committed to our traditional run plays rather than calling jet sweeps, shovel passes or QB keepers.

I think Lynch sometimes is one of those OCs who flip through their script and find a gadget play they love and call it at the expense of calling a play that’s already worked 4-5 times.

For all of Deleone’s faults he was a master at calling the same effective plays and figuring out how to disguise the same play (e.g. run the same concept out of a different formation).

I know he got stale at the end of his tenure (R2P2). I think Lewis was one of those OCs who called the same play (or used the same concept) until an opposing D proved they had it snuffed out.

Now in Lynch's defense, after an effective running play, he does like to call the exact same play right after, only to see it stooped after a minimal gain. He's done this multiple times this year. :confused:

We need at a minimum change it. Lets not go back to meathead ball. Ds are simply overloading Elmores side. . pre-snap it looks like a rugby scrum with 22 players all within a yard of each other. Results dont lie.

Against the two most talented D’s we’ve faced it’s been not as good as vs the others? Really shocked lol.

So far, if you asked me what a TD looked like in 2018 - the play I’d think of is Eric behind a jumbo line and Elmore finding the end zone. He’s scored a ton of them this season.

Spread teams typically have trouble in the red zone. I’m all for whatever we have to do get TD’s.
Im all for touchdowns as well which is why im not a fan of the Jumbo.

WMU figured out how to stop it and then did.
It was to late at that point so your narrative that it's been a jumbo failure is a bit misleading.

We need at a minimum change it. Lets not go back to meathead ball. Ds are simply overloading Elmores side. . pre-snap it looks like a rugby scrum with 22 players all within a yard of each other. Results dont lie.
you really think Dino is gonna go to meat head ball entirely? They dont do it a lot. I guess I see things differently. Plays are ran to set up other plays too. Based on the adjustments and looks you get, might open up plays in their spread sets. Catch them off guard.

It was to late at that point so your narrative that it's been a jumbo failure is a bit misleading.

Sorry but that is another excuse. It was late, it was FSU/Clemson...it was....
The statistics show it is not producing over 5 games. 5, not just a couple.

you really think Dino is gonna go to meat head ball entirely? They dont do it a lot. I guess I see things differently. Plays are ran to set up other plays too. Based on the adjustments and looks you get, might open up plays in their spread sets. Catch them off guard.

I understand that logic but catching them off guard from the 1-2 or 3? TD's have to be scored and not hope that by struggling X amount of times that in the future you'll catch them off guard by not scoring now.

Look and please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I know SU needs a package like this and it has its uses. I just think that Dino has used it and it hasn't been nearly as effective as he hoped. I'd love for it to be effective and watch them ram into the end zone at a high rate but it hasn't and when will there be a point when they realize this isn't the best way to score from inside the 3?

you cant just say its not been effective. we have more running tds by far than we have had the last few years. you really need to look at the plays and see why they dont work. last week the best DT we will see was blowing up stuff and FSU #5 clearly was too good and blew up plays that were well blocked. plays that dont work you have to decide if its a bad play, bad blocking, or good play by the D. people make it sound like well just call a different running play and all will be good. one thing this has done is limit the bad plays in short yardage, they dont all go for TDs but they havent gone for 5 yd losses either.

I think the issue is that our oline does not get good push on most running plays because of the RPO and that causes more issues when its a clear running play. more dynamic power backs would help with some of that.

Sorry but that is another excuse. It was late, it was FSU/Clemson...it was...
The statistics show it is not producing over 5 games. 5, not just a couple.

I actually gave evidence as to why it didn't work, not excuses lol.