Just announced: rutgers is free | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Just announced: rutgers is free

I wonder if the students look around the Dome, see all the silver that engulfs that place these days and think 'wow this is kinda lame'. I didn't have that problem much when I was there in the early 90s. There were some 35k attendance games (including my first ever against Vandy) but since most of those empties were in the upper deck endzones, it just didn't look as overly empty as it does these days.

If SU's goal is to increase attendance for the Rutgers game, I'm sure this move will work well. If their goal is to increase attendance long term it seems to me that charging something, even if its modest, would be a smart move, because you never want to devalue SU tickets to the point where SU students think of them as worthless. If you do you build the attitude of "I can always go next week, because the tickets are free anyway."

YES

If SU's goal is to increase attendance for the Rutgers game, I'm sure this move will work well. If their goal is to increase attendance long term it seems to me that charging something, even if its modest, would be a smart move, because you never want to devalue SU tickets to the point where SU students think of them as worthless. If you do you build the attitude of "I can always go next week, because the tickets are free anyway."

This is something I was thinking about recently, but not as pertains to SU students, but the general public. I think students would accept the concept of games being free, they know it happens at other schools. And while there is certainly (and obviously) a 'things cost too much on gameday' contingent in CNY, there is also a contingent that would think SU can't given tickets away so why would I go, it must not be much of an event. They could price Saturday Nova or G'Town tickets at $35 in the opposite end zone from the court and people couldn't buy them fast enough.

Football games just aren't an event right now. We'd probably need to be ranked, and we'd probably need our opponent to be ranked. Even at that, if the opponent is some BE no-name like USF, still wouldn't be enough for a mid to late 90s type crowd, but maybe a good 42k.

For the 5,000th time, why I'm so excited about ACC, without some of our current northeast competitors. Use that recruiting advantage to vastly improve our product, have more interesting games (even the B list ACC games are as good as what one might consider an A list BE game). Sooner the better...

No, but I am 21 and broke.

Go ahead and piss and moan. It's your right as a consumer. Just remember that just because something doesn't seem fair, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

I wish Doug had added a postscript to the students:

P.S.-Don't jingle your freakin' keys.

Go ahead and **** and moan. It's your right as a consumer. Just remember that just because something doesn't seem fair, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.
My opinion has far more to do with the fact that I bought tickets previously. I've outlined my concerns with this "instant-fix free ticket" strategy to get bodies into the Dome earlier in this thread. Constantly cheapening the product will make it impossible to charge for in the future.

Um, Dream Girls isn't around anymore......not that I'd know anything about that.

What about the place down Erie? a.k.a. Dream Girls 2, Tequila Rose, Paradise Found, etc. etc.

That place had a different name every year I was in school.

My opinion has far more to do with the fact that I bought tickets previously. I've outlined my concerns with this "instant-fix free ticket" strategy to get bodies into the Dome earlier in this thread. Constantly cheapening the product will make it impossible to charge for in the future.

That's a fair point, and as a consistent practice, I wouldn't disagree. I think the athletic department is trying to balance out your concerns with a need to continue to resurrect the program. As I said, I think it's important that you raise your legitimate concerns.

That's a fair point, and as a consistent practice, I wouldn't disagree. I think the athletic department is trying to balance out your concerns with a need to continue to resurrect the program. As I said, I think it's important that you raise your legitimate concerns.
Meant far more to do with other problems created than with the fact that I bought tickets previously. And I do agree that having a loud, packed student body will greatly help against Rutgers. No disagreement there that this is a positive step to drive student interest.

Great move by SU. Hope this brings out the students because this really is an important game.
I agree, great move. Glad they throw the loyalist students a bone too.

Just when you think that the SU administration can do nothing right, they surprise. Good for them.

BRAVO to SU for this. They must be reading our boards. ;)

I agree, great move. Glad they throw the loyalist students a bone too.

Just when you think that the SU administration can do nothing right, they surprise. Good for them.

I know you're joking - but, have we already forgotten that whole thing with the ACC? :)

I feel for the students who bought season tickets. Those are the most devoted student fans, yet you're rewarding the "meh" students by giving them for free what your real student fans had to pay for.

I like that we're doing everything we can to get students to games, but I hope they at least consider reimbursing the students who actually cared enough about the program to buy tickets in the first place.

And I skipped pages 2 and 3 of this thread, so if I'm repeating anything anyone else said, or the reimbursement thing has been covered in there somewhere, my bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom