Just announced: rutgers is free | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just announced: rutgers is free

FYI - I think all college students should get into all home sporting events free. I did and games were events not to be missed.

I think St John's gives better seating at basketball to students that go to other sporting events (soccer, tennis, field hockey, whatever...). The students check in with their ID at the other events and earn "points" to better seating at basketball. I think the general admission seating has worked out well at basketball so SU may not want to mess with it, but they may be able to get better student attendance at football (and other sports) if they did something similar to this.

I think St John's gives better seating at basketball to students that go to other sporting events (soccer, tennis, field hockey, whatever...). The students check in with their ID at the other events and earn "points" to better seating at basketball. I think the general admission seating has worked out well at basketball so SU may not want to mess with it, but they may be able to get better student attendance at football (and other sports) if they did something similar to this.

We have a points system as well (it works differently, it's prize based). It just flies under the radar because no one at SU checks their email, and the DO refuses to publish a story for us, but that's another story for another time...

I think I have degrees from 3 SUNY schools for less then that. By the time I started my 2nd degree I had already paid off my first degree.

Great job by the administration. I've always thought all student tickets should be free, just limit the amount of seats they can sit in.

I think it is good move. It is a small point, but it is a nice touch sending it out over DM's signature rather than an administrative office.

So how big potentially can the student section be? Or will some students get seats outside the student section if there is that kind of demand?

Very well said. I know its a bit different, but I run a bocce ball league in Syracuse that used to be free to join and have all you can eat and drink for $5. What I found is that when I upped the dues to $20 (still all you can eat and drink for $5, I never want to give that up), we actually got more people interested because people looked at it as something of value. Weird and unintuitive, but true.

I know things are a lot different with major D1 college football than they are in the humble league I run, but, I know for sure that when the goal is to get people to come week after week you have to build value or increase the value of the product.

If SU's goal is to increase attendance for the Rutgers game, I'm sure this move will work well. If their goal is to increase attendance long term it seems to me that charging something, even if its modest, would be a smart move, because you never want to devalue SU tickets to the point where SU students think of them as worthless. If you do you build the attitude of "I can always go next week, because the tickets are free anyway."

Completely agree. This is a wrong audience to give freebies to.

The price nor access to tickets is what keeps large number of students at home.

And this is why I didn't even apply. My total costs is a fifth of that for the entire year.

Same here, college for free (except room and board) is great haha

For all students. Nice move
I have no idea why the University doesnt just charge each student upfront an "activities pass" and let them all in anyway.

I have no idea why the University doesnt just charge each student upfront an "activities pass" and let them all in anyway.

There's an activity fee, but it's used elsewhere. I have a feeling that there may be a slight hike in that, and combined with the ACC money, students might have football for free in the future, at least on a trial basis.

Can I have my money back, then? That's the real problem with moves like these. So students got free tickets for Wake and Rutgers...while I paid the full season rate.

What's the going rate at Syracuse for a year? $40,000??? I don't think they're really getting in "free".

What's the going rate at Syracuse for a year? $40,000??? I don't think they're really getting in "free".
Missing the point. If you read back, I reiterate the intent of my original statement. And yes, they are getting in for less money than I paid to. So they're getting in for "free-er" than us season-ticket holders. Also, my original statement was with no knowledge of the free basketball tickets.

This is the Syracuse University Football Team. These kids (parents) pay $35,000 plus a year to go here and some people are bitching they get to go to a game free?

Including room and board, tuition and applicable fees, a year at SU is between $51,000-$52,000.

For all students. Nice move
I have no problem with the university giving tickets away. Wouldn't the payback in the long run be better if they gave tickets to say union members or to anyone who is paying the bills now and raising a family who might like to take their family but can't afford it now? The students have an attachment to the university anyways and maybe said university should try to rebuild a local fan base? Just a thought.

Just another reason the dance team needs to be sponsored by Dream Girls.

Um, Dream Girls isn't around anymore......not that I'd know anything about that.

Missing the point. If you read back, I reiterate the intent of my original statement. And yes, they are getting in for less money than I paid to. So they're getting in for "free-er" than us season-ticket holders. Also, my original statement was with no knowledge of the free basketball tickets.

I understand your position... I was just joking that they aren't really getting in "free". I also have season tickets, but don't attend Syracuse and am not even an alum. I think that students that already have paid for the season tickets should get compensated... it sounds like they are based on the choice of tickets for basketball this upcoming season.

$50k, give or take

Nice... I hope most of you are majoring in something that will allow you to get a great job with a huge salary for the rest of your life! :) That's some serious loot.

I graduated from Clarkson University in 1999 and it was around $30,000 per year. I'm still paying off student loans, and will be for another 10 years or so! That was bad enough. By comparison, I guess it was a bargain.

what perc of kids have parents actually attend parents weekend or homecoming? I know it was pretty low at the schools i have been around and if it had been a game weekend it would have been even lower..

They should go around all the sports bars handing out free tix.The concessions would make up the lost ticket revenue.

what perc of kids have parents actually attend parents weekend or homecoming? I know it was pretty low at the schools i have been around and if it had been a game weekend it would have been even lower..

Most of the freshmen. After that it drops off...although my parents are coming up this year since its my last one.

Based upon the ticket sales so far its a great move by the university. The more students the better !!!!

Looks like they are anticipating a great turnout by the students because there are no seats available in the student section on the first level and they are not selling any seats in section 305, 306, and 307.

I remember one of my favorite parents weekend games was 1994 vs VT. We weren't expected to win. I felt like an orphan because my parents didn't come and I was shipped up to the upper deck. But I remember there were tons of parents at the game, place was packed, and everyone was into it. Could be the VT factor, but I also remember that that early on in their development as a heavyweight program they had an ok sized away crowd, not the swarm of locusts that it became by the late 90s.

Hopefully it increases attendance for WVU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom