Just got interviewed by Nate Mink | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just got interviewed by Nate Mink

what problem are they trying to solve? maximize $ or maximize attendance? i think they should maximize attendance given some minimum $ constraint. imagine there is some money bags who is willing to pay a billion dollars for his 50 yard line seat but doesn't want anyone sitting around him who paid dirt cheap prices. stupid example but they maximize revenue by having 1 guy in a section.

determine how much $ money you can live with bringing in, then maximize attendance with that constraint. once you fill up the dome, keep bumping up that constraint and redo the optimization
aka how much is it worth to the school to have the empty seats in the end zone and corners? How much would they give up , if anything, to have the distribution of people look less stupid on cameras?

I just heard its going to be kids under 12 free day or something this weekend. I am a board member of a local youth soccer organization with 600 kids and nobody contacted us about passing that along to our parents. You would think if something like that is going to be offered they would try and reach out to local youth sports organizations and school districts to get the info out rather than hope people stumble upon it. Speaks to other discussions I have heard about lack of marketing on promotions. The bottom line is that the people on the hill still think football does or should sell itself and then scolds the community for not buying in.

I don't buy the economy playing a factor. Football tickets are dirt cheap. Plus the Syracuse economy is improving and ticket sales are lower than ever. Syracuse added 2,800 jobs in the past year, if the economy was really a driving force in ticket sales there would be slightly more people at games this year instead of slightly less.

Good post.

The economy thing is misinterpreted. First, assuming Central New York is "poorer" than it was twenty years ago (and I don't know that that is the case), ticket prices are correspondingly less expensive, in real dollars, than they were back then. Second, there has been a pretty big demographic shift that has accompanied our changing economy. Don't want to offend (or over-simplify) with generalizations, but the short of it is this: a lot of people who work in manufacturing liked to go to football games; a lot of people who work in eds and meds do not like to go to football games.

People spend their money differently. Outside of our small football group, I don't know anyone who has even a passing interest in the team in particular or college football in general. I have more friends and acquaintances with season tickets to Syracuse Stage than I do with seasons for football. It's weird to me, but there's no accounting for personal tastes.

You either need to win 8-10 games on a regular basis or if you are going to win 5-7 games a year you need to put a product on the field that is entertaining to watch. Give us the Oregon type offense and score 30-40 points a night where other teams have to score 40-50 to beat us at home and people will show up. Nobody wants to show up to watch a smash mouth football game where we have a very good chance to lose (over the last 15 years). It isn't that day and age anymore. People want entertainment. Flashy players on offense. Players with great stats that will get hyped up in the New York area.

So since I don't know if we can build a team that can win 8-10 games on a yearly basis (last 15 years of history has me jaded lol) I suggest the following...

-Hire someone that will run Chip Kelly's offense or a version of it.
-Upgrade the Dome and make it a pleasant viewing experience
-Upgrade the pre, during and post game experience for fans.

Make the product on and off the field fun to watch or be a part of.

Long time lurker here, thought I'd finallly post. After growing up in Syracuse, I've been living down in the Atlanta area for the past 20 years. There is such a different mindset down south when it comes to college football. It is a religion. Up north, pro football is king. I've been to Georgia, GA-Tech (still trying to erase the memory of that last Tech-SU game) and Bama games (wife is a grad). I can tell you that a lot of the fans at these games are not alumni, just locals who are uber passionate about their team. There is no off-season for them, they breathe college fotball. The north (with a few exceptions) just does not have that culture. I think college football is a distant interest for most northern fans (pro-football, baseball rule). You need to breed that culture at SU like what has been done with basketball over the years. Unfortunately, as mentioned several times above, that only comes with consistent winning.
I appreciate your post but i can't stand the north south discussion. The die hards in the Dome are just as die hard as those in the South. The difference is the AMOUNT of die-hards at Syracuse isn't as large because of alot of factors.

Tickets being dirt cheap is a misconception. If you're someone that doesn't want to sit in the end zones an individual ticket can range from $80-$140. Go to the ticket site for any of the remaining games. Even if we sold every single cheap seat the place would look empty. And all those empty sideline seats are what gets on TV.
EXACTLY. The cheap seats are not the ones that are empty in large part..its the expensive seats.

I just heard its going to be kids under 12 free day or something this weekend. I am a board member of a local youth soccer organization with 600 kids and nobody contacted us about passing that along to our parents. You would think if something like that is going to be offered they would try and reach out to local youth sports organizations and school districts to get the info out rather than hope people stumble upon it. Speaks to other discussions I have heard about lack of marketing on promotions. The bottom line is that the people on the hill still think football does or should sell itself and then scolds the community for not buying in.
You would think the University wouldnt wait until friday ay 7pm to let the public know about this plan...but then again...they always wait until the last minute for everything.

Millhouse said:
what problem are they trying to solve? maximize $ or maximize attendance? i think they should maximize attendance given some minimum $ constraint. imagine there is some money bags who is willing to pay a billion dollars for his 50 yard line seat but doesn't want anyone sitting around him who paid dirt cheap prices. stupid example but they maximize revenue by having 1 guy in a section. determine how much $ money you can live with bringing in, then maximize attendance with that constraint. once you fill up the dome, keep bumping up that constraint and redo the optimization

I think they have been trying to maximize money but it's not working as well as it could IMO. If they try to maximize attendance that IMO will then lead to slowly increasing money and then if the team is winning, you can slowly start increasing the cost again.

The buying tickets online experience could get a lot better. I may have convinced the wife that going with the kids will be fun (and kids are free, I think) ... But I can't find the info. I'll just call I guess - but it should be roughly 2-3 clicks to get what I want. Not a half hour of searching.

You would think the University wouldnt wait until friday ay 7pm to let the public know about this plan...but then again...they always wait until the last minute for everything.

"Bring a kid" day was printed on the wallet schedules that came out in July throughout the '90s.

I like to look for the other guy's position, but I can't think of any valid reason why SU waited until a week out to announce this otherwise good promotion. Just stupid.

I was out till 4 or 5 and up at 8 or 9 for noon games. suck it up.
What years were you on the Hill? I was there for the Grob Era and I still went to most games.

Alumni staying the area would have people with an attachment to the school.
While your in college going to games isn't always doable. Noon games are crazy for students. I am a diehard and missed a couple of games because I had a social life.

So its ok for students to miss games cuz they have a hangover, but not the locals for missing to spend time attending to big boy/girl things.

Perception plays a big role here too. I remember in the late 80's through the McNabb years, I expected Syracuse to win or at least be highly competitive. I believe that most fans at that time shared that feeling. That is no more, we've been beaten down over the last 10+ years by mostly inept play. Even in games where we are favored there is a lingering doubt in a lot of the fanbase if we can win and do so convincingly. Too many ugly Villanova, Akron, Maine type of games. Those of us diehards will continue to support the team regardless but for the fair-weather fans - that perception of ineptitude will take a long time to eradicate. It all ties in to what has been posted here a hundred times - just win.

03-07
So we were there the same time. Sorry after watching the team get off to a 2-7 start in 07 I didn't bother going to the USF or Pitt games.
G-Rob era killed student attendance. I don't blame students especially anyone not on main campus for not bothering with bad football at 12pm with not much tailgating.

TheCusian said:
The buying tickets online experience could get a lot better. I may have convinced the wife that going with the kids will be fun (and kids are free, I think) ... But I can't find the info. I'll just call I guess - but it should be roughly 2-3 clicks to get what I want. Not a half hour of searching.

You can always go to the main SU website, syr.edu, click on athletics, click on tickets, scroll to the upcoming events at the bottom and click buy for the game you want. Takes you to the ticketmaster site. Then click see tickets for the game. Be sure to use the map. You can see what's available and the cost right on the map. It's pretty easy and the interactive map is cool.

cnyers, just dont like football.

that needs to be changed.

go to all the pop warner teams in a 100 mile radius and hand out buy 1, get 1 free ticket to a game of THEIR choice that runs for 2 seasons ie: 15 & 16.

just tell them they will have to give a 2 week notice for availability.

start from the ground up.

get the kids begging the clueless parents to go.

So its ok for students to miss games cuz they have a hangover, but not the locals for missing to spend time attending to big boy/girl things.
Locals aren't the problem. I don't blame them. THe product needs to be better. If the product is better locals will support the team i.e. basketball. Students are bandwagon fans. We only have 14k undergrads. Sorry I don't expect 7k students to attend a football and basketball games. I had no problem paying 250 dollars for season tickets but not all students want to pay that. Locals will support the team if its a good team. Expecting 40k right now is a lot. When going to games is a lot more of a hassle than watching a bunch of games from your living room and not spending a lot of time going to and from.

Win and the Dome will fill more. Students are not problem if we had 30k students attendance would be higher with an extra 2-3k at games.

So we were there the same time. Sorry after watching the team get off to a 2-7 start in 07 I didn't bother going to the USF or Pitt games.
G-Rob era killed student attendance. I don't blame students especially anyone not on main campus for not bothering with bad football at 12pm with not much tailgating.

I said it tongue in cheek. I ain't mad at ya.

But, I didnt miss a single game ;)

He's doing an article that will come out later in the week about why people aren't going to games- and why the problem seems to be worsening. He also wants to know when Syracuse stopped being a 'football school' and why. He's asking several people who have been long-time fans or observers of the program. Anything anybody here has to off would be welcome I'm sure.

My observations:

- We really have the profile of a basketball school, not a football school: a mid-size private school in the northeast in a state that doesn't emphasize high school football. A lot of private schools used to be good in football, like Fordham, NYU, Georgetown, Carnegie Tech, etc. who then gave up the sport or reduced themselves to the small college level. We almost did the same thing in the 70's. When we finally built the Dome it was a commitment to continue playing big time football. But it's heavy lifting for a school like Syracuse.

- We used to be a football school in the Schwartzwalder Era when our basketball teams had football players who were trying to stay in shape in their starting line-ups. I think two platoon football was the undoing of the football program: we weren't prepared to do the in-depth recruiting that required and the program fell apart from the late 60's through the mid 70's and we weren't able to get it going again for a decade afterwards. meanwhile the basketball program, buoyed, ironically by two building built for the football program: Manley Field House and the Carrier Dome, became a national power and the symbol of the school and community

- We've never drawn huge crowds. If you look at the attendance figures in the Media Guide, we've rarely had sell-outs in one of the smaller stadiums in the division. The 1959 national champions, playing in a stadium with a capacity of 41,000, averaged 30,200 with a high of 35,000 against West Virginia, (in a game played here, not in Morgantown as Hollywood supposed. The 1987 team, playing in a stadium that seats 50,000, averaged 44,490 and only sold out for Penn State, although they came close with BC and West Virginia.

- It would be interesting to compare the sizes of the populations and markets in football hotbeds to what we have here. The impact of having several pro teams in the region also has to be considered.

- I've never had any complaints about the concessions or amenities of the Dome. I don't use them that much: I usually get a bottle of water and remain in my seat until the game is over. I can't speak to what aspects of the Dome might drive people away as they haven't driven me away. I even like the chrome benches because you can climb over them if a row is blocked. I like the pictures on the wall. Maybe they could paint the walls orange. I'd even go for orange turf, (it would then make sens to wear blue), if it would help recruiting by making us unique.

- I do think the parking around the Dome is and has always been an issue. We keep setting "on campus" records. It suggests that few schools have their stadiums on campus. i think if a stadium was surrounded by adequate parking you'd probably get more fans. That was my primary objection to the proposal to build a new Dome down the hill. There was no parking at all in the diagram. They wanted to put it there to "revitalize the neighborhood". People have to park there to do that. If they are just getting on and off of buses to go to the games, all they are going to see of the neighborhood is was appears outside the bus windows.

- Maybe if we had more interest in high school football in this state it would carry over to more interest in college football. Maybe it's a grassroots problem.

- The Dome has always been the perfect place far a state-of the art passing game. If we'd had one of those aerial circus offenses from the beginning, we'd be able to recruit talent form all over the country to play that style. We'd score tons of points and people would come out to see our team, not the other team. it wouldn't matter if we were playing Central Michigan or LSU. We'd be the show.

- I had no explanation of why the attendance problems would be worse now than in years or why more people would have shown up for the Rhode Island game, against a worse, non-league opponent on a nicer day with the State Fair still going. Every explanation I've ever heard for our attendance problems has been around for years. Why are things worse now? I'm also baffled by the difference between reported attendance and actual attendance. I know it's ticket sales vs. turnstile count. What I don't understand is why people would have bought tickets and then no used them.

- In the end, fans have to see themselves not just as consumers but investors. It's not enough to say that you will start to care again about SU football when they get good. Investing in the program, financially and emotionally will help them get good again.

Good observations - here's my take. And I've been going to SU games as well, since the 50's.

Back when the Dome was talked about being built the same arguments erupted. "Not enough people will fill it." "Can't even fill this concrete stadium." "Where will people park if the Dome does get 50,000?" "There's no college atmosphere on the hill to support a dome."

But then SU starting winning, and the Dome was getting 40,000 plus, and at times 50,000 for FB.

So I hear the same arguments...and who knows what the future will hold for SU fb. I guess winning games is the answer to more fannies in the seats.

Attendance is heavily driven by having winning teams. Sure there are a some ancillary issues. But winning is the main driver. Problematic parking doesn't seem to hurt basketball attendance from drawing big crowds. Basketball has been a consistent winning, nationally relevant program. If the basketball team went 10 consecutive years with a losing record and no post season, it's attendance would nose dive too.

Can we all agree that this topic getting some play is going to force Coyle to change some things up to make the product better. This is before we even get to the refurbished/new stadium talk. Coyle may be lucky in that he is catching an exciting season unfold right now. May not be a great season but feels like one that people will want to invest in long term.

rrlbees said:
You can always go to the main SU website, syr.edu, click on athletics, click on tickets, scroll to the upcoming events at the bottom and click buy for the game you want. Takes you to the ticketmaster site. Then click see tickets for the game. Be sure to use the map. You can see what's available and the cost right on the map. It's pretty easy and the interactive map is cool.

Yeah - I agree that the map is cool. I got there from Cuse.com.

My point was that it's too many clicks. Ticketmaster should have an api that allows apps or websites do all of that. So you open up the Cuse football app (doesn't exist, but stay with me). I'm already logged in. I click the game I want it gives me the map. I pick seats. It says "For this game you can bring the kids! How many?" I tap 2. I hit the purchase button. It sends me an email receipt and instructions for Sat.

Done. Painless.

Even better - use app + beacons at game to welcome me and my family on phone when I walk within 200 ft of the dome. Offer special promo and map to seat. Upon leaving send me another message about upcoming games and promotions. "Tweet about Cuse football and get 5% off the LSU game!"

Etc, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom