Just have to add myself to the list | Syracusefan.com

Just have to add myself to the list

Digger

2nd String
I'm not unique here considering myself a diehard Syracuse fan. Every game has been basically appointment viewing/DVR watching for two decades. For the first time in the past 20 years I got home and realized I just completely forgot we played a game tonight (vs my most hated rival, to boot). I spent 30 seconds checking the outcome/boxscore.

I wasn't even angry when I saw what happened. I just chuckled and shook my head.

I genuinely miss even being angry about Cuse basketball.

I've reached program apathy.

Yup hit real early this season for me. I just check the box score now. Zero expectations to win. Boring predictable product. I even missed 2 games this year entirely. "Oh i didn't know we had a game yesterday..." surprise they lost.

I’ve missed the last three games and didn’t really care. I was at a daddy daughter dance for the Duke game and didn’t even look for a tv or check my phone for the score. I was in Cali working for the Clemson and Pitt games and didn’t check the box score, watch the presser or come on the forum until well after the games were over.

SU basketball is no longer must see tv where I’ll move Heaven and Earth to watch.

i have the same feeling. i told my wife recently remember when i used to plan my winters around syracuse basketball? ok syracuse is playing saturday at 5 so ill eat dinner after the game. syracuse plays duke sat jan 15 so dont make any plans that day.

now i literally dont care when they play. it sux. but its reality right now. we’re irrelevant.

I'm not unique here considering myself a diehard Syracuse fan. Every game has been basically appointment viewing/DVR watching for two decades. For the first time in the past 20 years I got home and realized I just completely forgot we played a game tonight (vs my most hated rival, to boot). I spent 30 seconds checking the outcome/boxscore.

I wasn't even angry when I saw what happened. I just chuckled and shook my head.

Welcome to the club. It really sucks because Syracuse basketball used to bring me so much joy. Now I have no idea when we play and I certainly won’t watch games.

I’m done with this program until Boeheim is gone. Not another dollar spent on tickets, gear, anything. I’m at a point of just complete apathy.

Since I don't get all the games on TV, especially in the non-conference, I usually check out the schedule in the fall and circle any non-conference games I want to watch that'll be on TV on the calendar, make note of the huge conference games, then check box scores. Once the conference season rolls around, I catch as many games as I can. So I circled Georgetown in the non-conference, and I think that was it. I made a mental note of the games against Virginia, Duke, etc.

I start watching box scores as usual. We lose to Colgate. Yikes. Eek one out over Richmond. Uh oh, this is for real? Lose to St. John's. Ugh, bubble at best. Lose to Bryant?

Yeah, that was it for me. I haven't watched a minute of a game this year.

This program is what it is until Boeheim is gone. It's a bubble program AT BEST, on an up year. It's ugly the rest of the time. The university, Wildhack, and Boeheim seem apathetic about the trajectory of the program. So why should I care?

Like, I care, but I'm not dedicating time/emotion to it until what needs to be done is done. Until then, I care that it's not being done and that's about it.

I think I’ve still only missed four games since 1985. I haven’t reached the point where I can just intentionally not watch, but I do watch every game recently with only 50% interest. I just don’t care about the outcomes. Sometimes, I hope we lose by 30 instead of just 10, just with the hopes that the exaggerated deficit spurs change. But then I read there’s another year of this to come, and I get further apathetic.

Next year will force a hard choice. I’ll make up my mind one way or the other to either care or not care at all. I need a hard break—almost like a personal boycott or else I’ll just fall back into the same routine, which feels like a waste of time now.

When you are spending two hours on a thing and getting zero enjoyment or emotional response from it, it’s a wasteful indulgence that the program doesn’t deserve. I value my time, and I’m not giving it to this shitty product. Ooh. Sounds like I did make up my mind.

I would never have admitted this, until I saw this thread. I feel like we should all be sitting in a circle of chairs discussing this.

I would be sick about missing a game before. Now I sometimes late at night realize “oh shite, I forgot the game!”

I’ve never even done that with football, and we’ve been rocky for 20 years.

I sometimes wish I was apathetic towards the team. I’m not there yet. I still get super angry after every loss. I always feel like if we had a better coach we could win several more games.
I have always held Boeheim in high regard. Thought he was a mastermind. This past decade has been rough and now I find myself very much disliking him. It’s like he’s dangling the keys to the castle in front of us saying na na na boo boo. Being spiteful towards the fans and media.
I’m still holding on faith that change is coming very soon. I don’t know how much longer I can handle the current product and it’s puppeteer. Once you stop feeling it’s hard to ever come back.

Welcome to the club. It really sucks because Syracuse basketball used to bring me so much joy. Now I have no idea when we play and I certainly won’t watch games.

I’m done with this program until Boeheim is gone. Not another dollar spent on tickets, gear, anything. I’m at a point of just complete apathy.
Not sure if people recognize this but I know for a fact that you were one of the very first people to acknowledge that JB had to go, long before it was the trendy/majority board opinion.

Last edited:
I’ve missed the last three games and didn’t really care. I was at a daddy daughter dance for the Duke game and didn’t even look for a tv or check my phone for the score. I was in Cali working for the Clemson and Pitt games and didn’t check the box score, watch the presser or come on the forum until well after the games were over.

SU basketball is no longer must see tv where I’ll move Heaven and Earth to watch.

Well, the coach doesn't care nearly as much as the fans do, so what do you expect?

Well, the coach doesn't care nearly as much as the fans do, so what do you expect?
Ehh, he cares. We’ve had a couple posters who have sat courtside both home and away who talk about his energy during the games. People think he doesn’t care because it creates an easy problem to solve - find someone who does. If he cares AND the team is still struggling then there is a bigger problem at hand, one not as easily solved.

Welcome aboard. The sinking ship.

Ehh, he cares. We’ve had a couple posters who have sat courtside both home and away who talk about his energy during the games. People think he doesn’t care because it creates an easy problem to solve - find someone who does. If he cares AND the team is still struggling then there is a bigger problem at hand, one not as easily solved.

Well, he cares enough to coach hard during games and I'm sure he's doing his normal work at practice, too. But he's not pounding the pavement or logging any frequent flier miles to go recruiting, right?

Well, he cares enough to coach hard during games and I'm sure he's doing his normal work at practice, too. But he's not pounding the pavement or logging any frequent flier miles to go recruiting, right?
I can’t comment on that one way or the other, maybe he’s so out of touch with recruiting these days that he’s a liability on the road. I’m not privy to those conversations

Not sure if people recognize this but I know for a fact that you were one of the very first people to acknowledge that JB had to go, long before it was the trendy/majority board opinion.
Yup. I remember that.
I got a lot of flack for it at the time, and this is definitely one of those instances where I take zero pleasure in being right.

Last edited:
I still watch but after losing at Pitt last year I emailed JW that I was done paying for tickets and gear. I still support Dino and the football team, they can at least get ranked and show signs of something to be excited about even if it is not sustained.
If invited, I might go but I might find myself booing JB as he walks onto the floor at the start.
Good news I don't get the RSN for the next 2 games so I won't feel obligated to set aside 2 hours. Will check into the game thread for comic relief and try to avoid listening to Matt Park if possible. I keep trying to tell myself the administration can't think continuing this is a good idea and will force a decision. Offseason can't get here soon enough.

Yup. I remember that.
I got a lot of flack for it at the time, and this is definitely one of those instances where I take zero pleasure in being right.
Great call back then. Admittedly, I wasn't ready for that as I was shocked Hop left and they knee-jerked a JB extension, which I was ok with but they didn't have a plan or off-ramp after that. I had concerns after no staff changes after 18-19 disappointing season and then I knew we were in big trouble when Buddy was anointed as a 35 mins pg starter as just a sophomore. I feared what you laid out but still had faith in JB to get it back or get out when it was obvious. How wrong I was.

Great call back then. Admittedly, I wasn't ready for that as I was shocked Hop left and they knee-jerked a JB extension, which I was ok with but they didn't have a plan or off-ramp after that. I had concerns after no staff changes after 18-19 disappointing season and then I knew we were in big trouble when Buddy was anointed as a 35 mins pg starter as just a sophomore. I feared what you laid out but still had faith in JB to get it back or get out when it was obvious. How wrong I was.

It’s sickening how fast this program fell into irrelevance. Look at what I wrote. And this was BEFORE Hop left.

“And if this more about what Boeheim has built, than about HIM, then we'll be ok. I'm anticipating a drop-off, all programs go through peaks and valleys, but to me this feels like we're very close to returning to the "lucky to be ranked" years of the early 00's and much closer to the ineptitude of the 07'-08' back to back NIT era.”

We’re not even close to an NIT level program. We’re a full rung under that. And he’s STILL HERE. I wrote that with the idea that we’d be at that level once he was gone. Jeez.

It’s sickening how fast this program fell into irrelevance. Look at what I wrote. And this was BEFORE Hop left.

“And if this more about what Boeheim has built, than about HIM, then we'll be ok. I'm anticipating a drop-off, all programs go through peaks and valleys, but to me this feels like we're very close to returning to the "lucky to be ranked" years of the early 00's and much closer to the ineptitude of the 07'-08' back to back NIT era.”

We’re not even close to an NIT level program. We’re a full rung under that. And he’s STILL HERE. I wrote that with the idea that we’d be at that level once he was gone. Jeez.
Your right that was 2 days before Hop announced he was leaving

Yup. I remember that.
JB chose the leave too late option. Spot on post. I think I joined the brigade during 2018 or 2019 season. Things felt stale and it hasn't improved.

6 years later... jeesh.

That thread is rather eye-opening at this point. There were a lot of people that didn't see the writing on the wall and/or were in hopeful, delusional denial.

At least there was some optimism.

Hope has been grabbed by the neck and drowned in the bathtub at this stage.

Last edited: