Just heard of a new 2014 PG you guys are looking at... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just heard of a new 2014 PG you guys are looking at...

With all the high major offers I'm sure he's just dying to come here and ride pine for Kaleb Joseph.

Easy sell if you ask me!

I can see fan's interest in another PG. But fans are always focussed on the short term while coaches look at the bigger picture and players they may covet in the next year. They also have a significantly better understanding of what their current players will do with another off season to prepare. I'm not sold on Gbinije as a back up but he didn't really hurt SU when he was in the back court. He has to only get better in that role. 5th year player I can see but would a player want to step into a situation where there are already 4 guards on campus in the fall? Especially when they only have 1 season and want to be reasonably certain they would get major minutes.

Fans can have fun debating this stuff but I trust JB to make the right decision on this.

This strikes me as ignorant in the extreme. First of all, how do you know what our coaches are doing? Secondly, how is this dude all of a sudden the only PG on planet Earth and if Boeheim is not outside his bedroom window holding a boom box over his head blasting In Your Eyes he's suddenly questionable about his commitment to the team?
1) No article mentions Syracuse as being interested in the kid. That's pretty telling.
2) He is the only PG that is exceptionally talented and is now available for 2014-15 (i.e., this fall). everyone else is committed somewhere. The other talents available are transfers and JUCOs and he's better than them.
3) Syracuse struggled with limited guards this last season. The best one is going to the NBA. That leaves a one-dimensional SG with question marks, a combo guard that apparently couldn't help at all last season, and an incoming frosh PG (who could be great, could be limited). Now guard play wouldn't be such an issue if there was a multi-dimensional SF that could do it all. But there really isn't. Gbinije could be, but he'll be too busy backing PG - which leads to why it'd be fantastic to pick up another PG.

rrlbees said:
Yea, our coach is clueless when it comes to recruiting.

I don't think he's clueless at all, but there a some misses like with all coaches.

wadegarrett said:
We need an experienced PG next year. Not another frosh PG.

We didn't lose because of Ennis.

1) No article mentions Syracuse as being interested in the kid. That's pretty telling.
2) He is the only PG that is exceptionally talented and is now available for 2014-15 (i.e., this fall). everyone else is committed somewhere. The other talents available are transfers and JUCOs and he's better than them.
3) Syracuse struggled with limited guards this last season. The best one is going to the NBA. That leaves a one-dimensional SG with question marks, a combo guard that apparently couldn't help at all last season, and an incoming frosh PG (who could be great, could be limited). Now guard play wouldn't be such an issue if there was a multi-dimensional SF that could do it all. But there really isn't. Gbinije could be, but he'll be too busy backing PG - which leads to why it'd be fantastic to pick up another PG.

Yet none of these points explains why it would actually be appealing to the player. This isn't a zero sum game. It has to be good for SU, but you have to remember that it also has to be good for the kid too. Joseph is rated pretty closely rated to Graham. Therefore, it is safe to say it would be a crap shoot as to who would get the playing time.

Now tell me, why Graham would want to come in to that situation? Great for SU, not so great for player.

P.S. - and before you add to the argument that there is enough playing time for both of them, I think you would need to look at it through the eyes of the player. He would see Gbinijie, an upper-class man, getting the back up minutes this year. And see that they have this other guard, only a sophomore (Patterson), on the roster. What would lead him to believe that it wouldn't be an uphill battle for him?

P.P.S - As SU, I would rather lose out on getting Graham, and have the way clear for introducing Tyus Battle as our next incoming PG recruit.

Like Tony Wroten basically begging to come to Syracuse but we didn't want him. Not sure that worked out the greatest for us. Didn't hurt us much either though.

Like Tony Wroten basically begging to come to Syracuse but we didn't want him. Not sure that worked out the greatest for us. Didn't hurt us much either though.

It worked out great--we got MCW instead.

Yes but the minutes logged for the starting backcourt was absolutely problematic- a frosh PG and a guy playing heavy minutes for the first time, not to mention no real capable backups. I'd like to avoid that again. Even Boeheim was quoted questioning their minutes logged saying it was a mistake.

Honestly, I don't know that there are any 5th year transfer candidates remaining who would help fill this void, a la what Barton might have been able to do last year. I think JUCO might be our best bet--or if there is a foreign prospect out there who is under the radar.

Wouldn't mind seeing us add a big guy JUCO / transfer, either, in the even that Coleman is slow to recover.

Yet none of these points explains why it would actually be appealing to the player. This isn't a zero sum game. It has to be good for SU, but you have to remember that it also has to be good for the kid too.
I wasn't addressing any of that. The post I was addressing had to do with Syracuse not at least kicking the tires on this kid.

If he doesn't want to play second fiddle (or third), then there are 300 and some odd D1 programs he could go to. If wants to be on a top-20 team with final four aspirations, then there are fewer spots open, especially this late in the recruiting cycle.

And really, the minutes would be there if he was good enough. I'd rather have Gbinije at the 3 rather than the back-up 1.
They will still have Tharpe and Frank Mason though, yes?
Doesn't matter. Kansas. Same with Kentucky. They get their choice of top-100 guys lining up to compete for minutes against other highly rated recruits. Apparently Syracuse is a selector school, but can't fill out the roster because some kids would be afraid to compete for minutes.

Well, he went 7-21 in his last game, and his assists were WAY down over the last few games of the season.

Pretty reasonable to assume...since he stayed one year at Washington.

Well since he seemed to want to come to Syracuse, if he played behind the back court we had. Do you think it would have been the same situation? Jump to the NBA without any playing time in College?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom