Just like last year, I'm waiting until the end of the season to judge what I'm seeing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just like last year, I'm waiting until the end of the season to judge what I'm seeing

Some of the takes mocking the OP in this thread are embarrassing. "I'm not reading that..." Um, ok, then maybe don't reply to the thread if you don't want to participate. No need to be a disrespectful jerk.

And regular season success is great; but we all know that all that matters is the tourney. JB gets this too, glad the regular season heroes aren't our coach because regular season success followed by early outs (think Pitt in their heyday) is 1000% worse.

Just enjoy the product we have and accept their flaws, we got this.
Oh, I was definitely mocking a bit, I'll own that. At the time the OP had started some other threads with similarly lengthy intros, all saying basically the same thing. Doesn't excuse my action and gut response to feeling like it was going to be dismissive of real concerns and observations.

I'll stick to jokes and nicknames.

Oh, I was definitely mocking a bit, I'll own that. At the time the OP had started some other threads with similarly lengthy intros, all saying basically the same thing. Doesn't excuse my action and gut response to feeling like it was going to be dismissive of real concerns and observations.

I'll stick to jokes and nicknames.
Come on Otto . NEVER apologize

I’ve been told that only March matters.

On that note- this year is even more frustrating. A good friend of mine is in town the week of the tourney and I was planning to take that week off, drink, reminisce and watch the games. Now I honestly have little enthusiasm to do. Best find a bar with UFC or a good fight and try to make the best.

On that note- this year is even more frustrating. A good friend of mine is in town the week of the tourney and I was planning to take that week off, drink, reminisce and watch the games. Now I honestly have little enthusiasm to do. Best find a bar with UFC or a good fight and try to make the best.
Giants were eliminated by the time the leaves starting turning and I still loved both this year's NFL regular, and especially, the postseason.

I actually lose more enthusiasm when we get the gut punch on Sunday, especially if unexpected.

This year, I've already resigned myself to the fact we are not going so it is much easier.

The tourney is still great whether we are there, or not.

Giants were eliminated by the time the leaves starting turning and I still loved both this year's NFL regular, and especially, the postseason.

I actually lose more enthusiasm when we get the gut punch on Sunday, especially if unexpected.

This year, I've already resigned myself to the fact we are not going so it is much easier.

The tourney is still great whether we are there, or not.

Normally I would concur. Unfortunately this go around its a buddy and fellow SU fan I haven't seen in 12 years and the BET and NCAAT used to be a routine event we would take time off every couple of years and watch the games. So it's soured more for sure.

Eh......

The fools gold of a few tourney wins over a period where the best we can say for ourselves was mediocre is exactly why its 4 years past time to leave.

We will NEVER win a championship with JB here still. Isnt that what we all desire? Or at minimum understand how we are building toward that? Or is it bubble (at best) for life?

those tourney wins are akin to a participation trophy.

Eh...

The fools gold of a few tourney wins over a period where the best we can say for ourselves was mediocre is exactly why its 4 years past time to leave.

We will NEVER win a championship with JB here still. Isnt that what we all desire? Or at minimum understand how we are building toward that? Or is it bubble (at best) for life?

those tourney wins are akin to a participation trophy.
Disagree with this. Championships in college basketball are hard and also some luck involved. I've long said Sweet 16 is a great season. It's really hard to get there...which is why its so important to get solid seeding, something we havent had in forever. It's why bucking the trend, while its been fun, just isnt the way to win consistently. Of course, not making the tourney at all is an even better way to guarantee to not make the sweet 16.

So basically, I agree championships is what we desire, but I think Sweet 16 is a fine goal to shoot for going into every season.

Disagree with this. Championships in college basketball are hard and also some luck involved. I've long said Sweet 16 is a great season. It's really hard to get there...which is why its so important to get solid seeding, something we havent had in forever. It's why bucking the trend, while its been fun, just isnt the way to win consistently. Of course, not making the tourney at all is an even better way to guarantee to not make the sweet 16.

So basically, I agree championships is what we desire, but I think Sweet 16 is a fine goal to shoot for going into every season.

I agree with the sweet 16 being a great season overall. But at major programs (which we consider ourselves one) it is a sign of knocking on the door for more. No one can kid themselves that we are knocking on the door for anything. And not just this year, but the years we made incredible runs these last few years. Fun rides for sure. Fools gold. Because our program wasn't building to anything else.

I agree with the sweet 16 being a great season overall. But at major programs (which we consider ourselves one) it is a sign of knocking on the door for more. No one can kid themselves that we are knocking on the door for anything. And not just this year, but the years we made incredible runs these last few years. Fun rides for sure. Fools gold. Because our program wasn't building to anything else.
Yep, I agree 100%. Im just saying if we someone go into next year w/ JB or a new coach and we end up a 4 seed with a sweet 16 bid, I dont think it's fair to say "Well, we didnt win a championship...so we didnt reach our goal". I do get what you are saying, though. We are absolutely going into many, many years now realistically thinking we can't get to the final 4

Yep, I agree 100%. Im just saying if we someone go into next year w/ JB or a new coach and we end up a 4 seed with a sweet 16 bid, I dont think it's fair to say "Well, we didnt win a championship...so we didnt reach our goal". I do get what you are saying, though. We are absolutely going into many, many years now realistically thinking we can't get to the final 4

Exactly. Also there is so much to take from being a contender all year.

Haven’t seen the OP much lately. Huh.
And I will, once again, quote Nycfan...

1643322195210.png

I don't think there is anyone who is happy but that doesn't mean we feel compelled to continuously post the same complaints 24/7/365...

There are probably quite a few of us who haven't been seen much lately.

Doesn't mean we aren't here.

And I will, once again, quote Nycfan...

View attachment 213295

I don't think there is anyone who is happy but that doesn't mean we feel compelled to continuously post the same complaints 24/7/365...

There are probably quite a few of us who haven't been seen much lately.

Doesn't mean we aren't here.

I think what you are saying is understandable and fair. I truly do.

I think its also fair if you were one of the ones who've been voicing their concerns watching this happen and being made out to be a bad fan or a chicken little to expect a little contrition from the posters who have suddenly disappeared who called them out. I'm 10000% sure if we were really good, it'd be expected and called out the other way around...and those bumped posts would stay on the board.

"So my simple advice to all of Boeheim's critics out there: do yourself a favor and remember how wrong you were last year in your dreary expectations. This year's team is flawed, but you get no points for noticing that. Show that your brain can operate on a level other than "Boeheim Sucks!" and acknowledge that he may yet be able to make this team successful by doing things you can't even imagine in his practices."

How about a "yikes, sorry about questioning your BRAIN...looks I was wrong"

jmo.

I think what you are saying is understandable and fair. I truly do.

I think its also fair if you were one of the ones who've been voicing their concerns watching this happen and being made out to be a bad fan or a chicken little to expect a little contrition from the posters who have suddenly disappeared who called them out. I'm 10000% sure if we were really good, it'd be expected and called out the other way around...and those bumped posts would stay on the board.

"So my simple advice to all of Boeheim's critics out there: do yourself a favor and remember how wrong you were last year in your dreary expectations. This year's team is flawed, but you get no points for noticing that. Show that your brain can operate on a level other than "Boeheim Sucks!" and acknowledge that he may yet be able to make this team successful by doing things you can't even imagine in his practices."

How about a "yikes, sorry about questioning your BRAIN...looks I was wrong"

jmo.
I think your opinion is extremely flawed. The people who are “negative” have been posting concern, the problems, the flaws and ways to fix it not only this year but previous years, The overly positive people are the ones who refuse to see the issues that have been brewing within the program the past few years.

You can rah rah all you’d like but facts are we’re BELOW .500 since we joined the ACC, that’s not good. I’ve never advocated for firing JB but if his successor is .500 in acc play for 3-4 years he’s gone.

I can never understand the zero-sum attitude of some posters.
Its like either "JB is great", or "JB sucks", w/ no in between. How about something in the middle like: "JB is and has been a great HOF HC, but the last few years show he's lost something on his fastball".
I'm open to a change after this season if it continues like this, but honestly I'm not expecting it. You don't "force" out a HC who posts his first losing season...ever, after 45 years. You just don't.
If the isht show continues next season, then yes, all bets are off. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom