Just one more shot!!!? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just one more shot!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things:
  • The starting back-court should be KR and AG
  • It's not clear to me why JB dresses Buddy for trips to play Virginia.

The amazing thing is JB said if Buddy hit one more 3 a game, it would be the equivalent of 43% from the field. Even if that's true, is 43% from the field good, especially from a guy who doesn't really give you anything else and is a liability on Defense?
I've never seen him make more excuses for a player and even his biggest backers are having difficulty defending him at this point. He really is blinded by having his son on the team. I've seen this on little league teams, but never seen anything like it on a D-1 level.

It's so weird, because it seems like JB sees Buddy as a senior year Cooney or Rautins, but he is demonstrably not that player. He's a catch-and-shoot SG, who can attack the rim against certain teams. His passing and defense are mediocre on his best days. Why he's taking more shots than anyone on the team is totally beyond me.
This is a really interesting point. I think it speaks to the fact that JB has a formula for his team and at the beginning of the season he plugs players into that formula with permanent marker. It doesn't matter if the formula doesn't work or if there are players better suited to making the formula work, JB isn't changing.

This is a really interesting point. I think it speaks to the fact that JB has a formula for his team and at the beginning of the season he plugs players into that formula with permanent marker. It doesn't matter if the formula doesn't work or if there are players better suited to making the formula work, JB isn't changing.

So our HOF coach is not capable of making adjustments or is just plain stubborn. Not good.

It is scary and its embarrassing now. After games like this, I feel like he is running the program into the ground worse than Pasqualoni did.

I wonder if the assistants ever say, Jim, we need to get bigger, move AG to 2, play Jesse some at 5 or Jim, we need to recruit another scoring guard, we have only recruited 1 for 3 recruiting cycles now and he transferred out.

Jim: Buddy just needs to hit 1 or 2 more shots a game and were good.

Pasqualoni didn’t run the program into the ground, his replacement did. Aside from like 2 decent seasons since then, Syracuse hasn’t recovered. There’s a sound argument that firing Pasqualoni is the single biggest contributing factor to the football program being irrelevant for at least the next 80 years.

In today's day and age, you can't beat the elite teams by only causing a few turnovers, you need some ball denial. These are kids but they have learned the confidence to play through pressure and mistakes better than 10 years ago.

Pasqualoni didn’t run the program into the ground, his replacement did. Aside from like 2 decent seasons since then, Syracuse hasn’t recovered. There’s a sound argument that firing Pasqualoni is the single biggest contributing factor to the football program being irrelevant for at least the next 80 years.
Your right, I should have clarified. P saw the program from being a potential Top 10 with McNabb to then Top 25, to then just try to get to a bowl. Everyone saw the gradual decline wondered if things became stale. Blowout bowl loss to Gtech was enough for Gross to pull the plug.

My point is, like that scenario we can see the decline under Boeheim. Do I think making a move will lead to a Robinson-esque period for the new coach? No, because I have confidence in the name brand, resources, Dome as a venue, access to talent which is different than it is for the football program.

He does make changes, we've all seen that. Sometimes they come later in a season than some would like, but at the same time we've also seen his support for some kids who were struggling pay off, as well.

I just don't understand why Buddy is taking the most shots per game on the team. Right now he's taking 15 FGA/game, 2.6 more than #2 (Griffin).

Last year Hughes led the team, but took slightly less (14.5). Two years ago Battle led with 13.6.

Battle was at 15.8 in 2017-18, but that team was atrocious offensively. Think about that, BB is taking just 0.8 less shots per game than Battle did, in a year when the offensive ability of the team is FAR better.

I could go on... White 13.3 FGA/game in 2016-17, Gbinije 13.2 in 2015-16, Cooney 12.1 in 2014-15, Fair 14.9 in 2013-14, Fair 11.6 in 2012-13...

Buddy is shooting more than *anyone* in a long time, aisde from the one season when Battle was the only competent offensive player.

It's mind boggling.

The amazing thing is JB said if Buddy hit one more 3 a game, it would be the equivalent of 43% from the field. Even if that's true, is 43% from the field good, especially from a guy who doesn't really give you anything else and is a liability on Defense?
I've never seen him make more excuses for a player and even his biggest backers are having difficulty defending him at this point. He really is blinded by having his son on the team. I've seen this on little league teams, but never seen anything like it on a D-1 level.

43% from the field for a 3-point shooter is typically good. That would push his eFG% above 50%, with a 40% 3-point percentage and his current 47% 2-point percentage.

I’m not going into the other stuff, just noting that 43% with Buddy’s shot mix would be actually quite good; likely good enough to counteract his defense.

Him actually making one more three per game on the same number of shots is another thing. It might not sound like a lot but that would be a really big jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right, I should have clarified. P saw the program from being a potential Top 10 with McNabb to then Top 25, to then just try to get to a bowl. Everyone saw the gradual decline wondered if things became stale. Blowout bowl loss to Gtech was enough for Gross to pull the plug.

My point is, like that scenario we can see the decline under Boeheim. Do I think making a move will lead to a Robinson-esque period for the new coach? No, because I have confidence in the name brand, resources, Dome as a venue, access to talent which is different than it is for the football program.

The problem is that when older coaches have a decline, people assume it’s permanent. P had a 10 win season in ‘01. He had a bad season in ‘02 and two back to back .500 seasons. The assumption was that he couldn’t rebound from, frankly, a pretty short dip in production. People assumed Syracuse football was supposed to be better. The result of those assumptions is that even Syracuse graduates have probably forgotten we have a football team.

Would the slide have continued if we kept P? Maybe, but that’s far from definite. Would Syracuse basketball currently have more all-time wins if P didn’t get fired at that point? I say without a doubt, yes. Wasn’t Ray Rice pretty much a lock until Gerg took over?

Now for the correlation to Boeheim. His stretch of mediocre seasons has been longer than P’s was and it doesn’t look like we’ll have a roster solution next year unless we get a big a surprise. Has the game passed him by? I don’t think so, we just clearly lack talent, which is of course is ultimately on him. The 2022 class, even without Dior, does look promising though. Canning him before that class would be foolish and short-sighted, imo. The grass is not always greener and there is nothing that says Syracuse basketball should be good, just like Syracuse football.

I say give him through the 2022 season. If that team doesn’t get us back on the horse, tell him it’s time to hang it up. Anything before then is premature.

43% from the field for a 3-point shooter is typically good. That would push his eFG% above 50%, with a 40% 3-point percentage and his current 47% 2-point percentage.

I’m not going into the other stuff, just noting that 43% with Buddy’s shot mix would be actually quite good; likely good enough to counteract his defense.

Him actually making one more three per game on the same number of shots is another thing. It might not sound like a lot but that would be a really big jump.
I believe he was saying if he hit one more shot, it would be the equivalent of 43% from 2.

I believe he was saying if he hit one more shot, it would be the equivalent of 43% from 2.

I didn’t read/hear his quote. Was he talking about the Virginia game specifically? One more three added to his career or season stats would be well above the equivalent of 43% on 2-pointers.

To me, JGIII has an awareness about his abilities and has been trending the right way since the beginning of the year.

Buddy does not. Again, maybe JB is pushing him to this spot, maybe it's Buddy thinking he's Kobe, maybe it's both. I don't know. But he's just way, way, way too inefficient for him to be shooting this much.
I can’t figure this out either. Buddy seems like a nice kid and I don’t see him as the massive ego type. So I can’t decide if he’s taking 16 shots a game because he thinks it’s good offense ... Or because JB is telling him he wants him to

The game has evolved quite a bit in the last few years. Most teams have guys that can shoot from 25+ and the zone will never be good against them unless they're having a bad game. IMO, to be a really good zone team in these times, you have to have a team of players with elite quickness to cover the corners, the deep elbow threes and the deep threes from the top. I'm not sure anyone except Kadary can cover the ground needed, and I don't see help on the way. I'm not sure the way our offense is supposed to work but I am not seeing the open threes that JB is apparently seeing. I like Buddy and JGlll, but they are not good enough all around talents to be main cogs on a winning team. The lack of team-wide quickness was on full display last night. Love JB and the players and I will continue to support them but until major changes are made, I'll have to be satisfied with the occasional wins over teams that we match up well with...and they are becoming fewer and fewer.

I didn’t read/hear his quote. Was he talking about the Virginia game specifically? One more three added to his career or season stats would be well above the equivalent of 43% on 2-pointers.
Was talking about the season overall. Donna T had asked whether Jim thought Buddy’s mechanics were off and creating his shooting woes. Jim said his mechanics are fine and if he made one more three per game then his avg would be about 34% which would make Jim happy.

Was talking about the season overall. Donna T had asked whether Jim thought Buddy’s mechanics were off and creating his shooting woes. Jim said his mechanics are fine and if he made one more three per game then his avg would be about 34% which would make Jim happy.

Right, so his overall FG% would be 43% (I assume 34 was a typo). 43% for a guy who shoots the number of 3’s Buddy shoots would be very solid.

JB is approaching the Little League and Pee Wee football Dad/Coach level. You know the Dad who's kid pitches and hits clean up when he is a left field gap hitter. Or the QB/MLB who should be a Split End and safety.

He has to know what is going on right? Is everyone surrounding the program that much of an enabler?
1611687250201.png

Funny thing about coaches sons is they’re quite often objectively the best players, too. That was my anecdotal experience, at least.

“Why does the coach’s son get all the carries and touchdowns? Why can’t I?” Well, he’s 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than you and runs a 4.6 40. You’re skinny and would get beat in a race by Tom Brady.

I'm still all in on with our team and program. I'm frustrated, disappointed and struggling with my optimism for the future, but still very engaged as a fan. That said, for the first time in 31 years as a diehard fan, I don't find myself caring to listen to Boeheim. I used to look forward to watching press conferences and coaching shows but no longer. It just seems like a bunch of drivel.

I've always thought of myself as a pro-Boeheim guy and have defended him many times of the years. However, I'm just no longer where I used to be. Don't get me wrong, I still like Jimmy and respect the heck out of what he has built, but some of the comments he makes after games, his rotations, over/under utilizing players, and wildly inconsistent treatment of players has just gotten old.

I'm still all in on with our team and program. I'm frustrated, disappointed and struggling with my optimism for the future, but still very engaged as a fan. That said, for the first time in 31 years as a diehard fan, I don't find myself caring to listen to Boeheim. I used to look forward to watching press conferences and coaching shows but no longer. It just seems like a bunch of drivel.

I've always thought of myself as a pro-Boeheim guy and have defended him many times of the years. However, I'm just no longer where I used to be. Don't get me wrong, I still like Jimmy and respect the heck out of what he has built, but some of the comments he makes after games, his rotations, over/under utilizing players, and wildly inconsistent treatment of players has just gotten old.
I really only listen to the post game after a great win or a terrible loss, otherwise its Groundhog day.

Right, so his overall FG% would be 43% (I assume 34 was a typo). 43% for a guy who shoots the number of 3’s Buddy shoots would be very solid.
Was about 3 pt percentage. He is like 28% and Jim was saying one more make per game would put him at 34% from 3 which I guess is 43% from 2. This is where he wants Buddy at

Was about 3 pt percentage. He is like 28% and Jim was saying one more make per game would put him at 34% from 3 which I guess is 43% from 2. This is where he wants Buddy at

Then the numbers are wonky. 43% from 2 would be a decent sized regression from Buddy’s current 2FG%. 34% from 3 kind of works if you assume he also takes an extra 3-pointer per game and makes it (comes out to 36%).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom