Just one more shot!!!? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just one more shot!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to talk with my boss tomorrow about my attendance at work. Imagine, me showing up just one more day a week would make a perfect attendance record. Therefore, we have no issue any longer with me playing golf when I should be working.

Since almost every player misses more shots than they make, isn't it more likely Buddy would miss one more shot than to make one more? What would THAT do to his numbers?

BTW, after last night's game, Buddy is now (out of the six guys that play):

35.7 mpg (first on the team)
15.0 FGA/game (first on the team)
14.5 PPG (third on the team)
38% FG
27% 3PT
USG 23.6% (2nd to AG)
TS% 46% (last - remember, this includes FT shooting)
eFG 44% (last)

His BPM is lowest out of the six guys by a country mile. JGIII is second to last at 2.6. Buddy is at 0.4.

His WS (win share) is lowest. His WS/40 is lowest.

JGIII absolutely has a case that he should be playing over Buddy.

So JB's 'one shot' comment is hilariously out of touch with reality.
What is BPM

Since almost every player misses more shots than they make, isn't it more likely Buddy would miss one more shot than to make one more? What would THAT do to his numbers?
It’s not one more shot it’s one more make don’t get it twisted

The amazing thing is JB said if Buddy hit one more 3 a game, it would be the equivalent of 43% from the field. Even if that's true, is 43% from the field good, especially from a guy who doesn't really give you anything else and is a liability on Defense?
I've never seen him make more excuses for a player and even his biggest backers are having difficulty defending him at this point. He really is blinded by having his son on the team. I've seen this on little league teams, but never seen anything like it on a D-1 level.
No 29% from 3 is 43 from two

I'm still all in on with our team and program. I'm frustrated, disappointed and struggling with my optimism for the future, but still very engaged as a fan. That said, for the first time in 31 years as a diehard fan, I don't find myself caring to listen to Boeheim. I used to look forward to watching press conferences and coaching shows but no longer. It just seems like a bunch of drivel.

I've always thought of myself as a pro-Boeheim guy and have defended him many times of the years. However, I'm just no longer where I used to be. Don't get me wrong, I still like Jimmy and respect the heck out of what he has built, but some of the comments he makes after games, his rotations, over/under utilizing players, and wildly inconsistent treatment of players has just gotten old.

I find myself in this boat as well. I think your last sentence of paragraph two is probably shared by many in the fan base. I also think that for years fans simply dismissed it, shaking their heads at times, etc. primarily because we were winning at a high level. However, the combination of being a middling/mediocre program seven consecutive years now, as well as not being ranked in the Top 25 come January/league play, has indeed gotten old(er) and has accelerated to the point of tuning JB out.

From what I’ve heard from good sources, Boeheim really isn’t listening to assistants.
It’s what I’ve heard from at least one person who would know. The thing is the assistants do see what is going on and do have thoughts and suggestions. They have to play good cop, which is something Hop did so well for so long.
Very strange. Not doubting it, just don't understand it. If the assistants feel like their input is not being valued, why do they stay? I know they are alums, but especially if their opinions aren't even being listened to, that's got to be frustrating. Are Red/GMAC just hoping to hang around until JB retires in hopes they take the lead? If the team struggles, this will be a harder case to make. I have to believe Red could get a low/mid-level D-1 HC job with all his experience at this point.

On the flip side, many here (including me) have said that it would be great to have new blood in the program at the assistant level, but perhaps this explains why we haven't had anyone from outside the SU family since Murphy - who wants to be undervalued like that?

The whole situation is just sad. I don't think the game has passed JB by, I think he is just getting more and more stubborn each season, and we are slowly sinking into irrelevance.

The whole situation is just sad. I don't think the game has passed JB by, I think he is just getting more and more stubborn each season, and we are slowly sinking into irrelevance.
Yes, it's the stubbornness that frustrates me the most which is why this year, for the first time ever, I've began to tune Boeheim out. Just the simple fact that we are so predictable and struggle year after year to get into the tourney and he won't change his approach, that's maddening. It's just not smart, and most people can clearly see that. I think most on this board function in a way where if you're not getting the results you're expecting and want, change your damn approach. The fact that Boeheim just won't adapt is again, frustrating.

It’s not one more shot it’s one more make don’t get it twisted
I understand perfectly. JB said all he needed was one more make and I said that out of his shots taken, it would be slight more likely to change a make to a miss than to change a miss to a make. I twisted nothing.

This is exactly why most coaches don't like coaching their own kids, especially on this high of a level, its a lose-lose situation.
it doesn't have to be. unless your kid is undeniably better than any of the other choices, then the coach has to go out his/her way to understate their kids ability and playing time.

The reason buddy shoots so many threes is because our team has no please no offense whatsoever so They run around As the clock runs down and they throw up threes . of the players on the team who do you want to shoot threes

It is scary and its embarrassing now. After games like this, I feel like he is running the program into the ground worse than Pasqualoni did.

I wonder if the assistants ever say, Jim, we need to get bigger, move AG to 2, play Jesse some at 5 or Jim, we need to recruit another scoring guard, we have only recruited 1 for 3 recruiting cycles now and he transferred out.

Jim: Buddy just needs to hit 1 or 2 more shots a game and were good.
The staff knows not to contradict him. They don't interrupt his meals. They present everything text-based in fewer than three pages, with large bullet points and pictures. And they have to mention his name every other paragraph to keep his attention.

The reason buddy shoots so many threes is because our team has no please no offense whatsoever so They run around As the clock runs down and they throw up threes . of the players on the team who do you want to shoot threes
This post reminds me of a girl named Sue. ;)
But sometimes, I wonder... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors