Just reported on Upon Further Review | Syracusefan.com

Just reported on Upon Further Review

SWC75

Bored Historian
One of their people is at the practice and Drew Allen opened with the 1st team, (in the no huddle), for the first time.

yeah, Axe tweeted about it. Looks like someone is all the way caught up with only a couple weeks to go

Hey, like Doris Day once sang: "Que sera, sera" ("Whatever will be, will be.")

"The future is not ours to see. Que sera, sera."

F Ped State. Que sera, sera.

It was bound to happen. Yes they might have been even at the start of camp but thats only because Hunt was further along with learning the offense. From what I saw at fanfest Allen just looked much more game ready from a skill standpoint and seems to have a confidence about him. Yes he threw two picks but one was a miscommunication (learning curve). A couple of Hunts passes could have just as easily been picks if tipped the wrong way.

Congrats to Drew. I do feel bad for Hunt, it seemed like he really wanted it, and has been through a lot. Hopefully he uses this time to continue to make himself better.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with losing the starting QB job to someone who is more experienced and is more game ready right now.

Just hope Hunt sees it as a learning experience and stays ready.

Don't know if this is true, but if so, Hunt is 1 snap away from stepping into the job.

Is it possible that Drew's friend saw Brent's tweet and read too much into it?
After 2 weeks, shouldn't Drew be able to practice the hurry-up offense?

We'll find out soon enough... I just suspect this may be someone's over eagerness to hear good news.
Maybe they were just rumblings.

Is it possible that Drew's friend saw Brent's tweet and read too much into it?
After 2 weeks, shouldn't Drew be able to practice the hurry-up offense?

We'll find out soon enough... I just suspect this may be someone's over eagerness to hear good news.
Maybe they were just rumblings.

I think it's closer to reality than rumbling.

One of their people is at the practice and Drew Allen opened with the 1st team, (in the no huddle), for the first time.

He opened with the 1st team at fan fest. There is nothing new about that.

He opened with the 1st team at fan fest. There is nothing new about that.
Interesting.
The genii at Upon Further Review claimed that Hunt had been starting off practice for the past 2 weeks with the first unit.

Shafer just said in his presser we won't know who the starting qb is until we take the field. I am assuming Allen's friend shouldn't have tweeted that

What if we run the same offense as last year?!

From what I read on a TOS site McDonalds' offense will still be up-tempo but also has a lot of similarities to that of Oklahoma, the same concepts just different terminology. So not surprising Allen has an advantage.

I think Hunt has to win the job by a considerable margin to get the nod. Contrary to what most have said, I fully believe a tie would go to Allen - not that I think it's a tie now.

If you take the 50,000 foot view of running a program- you don't bring in a 5th year guy from outside the program unless you fully intend on playing him- especially at qb.

You may have to go back to that well again and you don't want other recruiters saying "don't go to Syracuse, the last guy they took didn't play and they ruined his one chance at being a millionaire."

It's like taking hs players from hoop prep school factories and not playing them. Don't ever go back and try to get a second kid.

Now if you give the kid a chance and they fail - all bets are off.

I certainly expect Allen to get first shot, with Hunt being ready to go if Allen falters.

It was bound to happen. Yes they might have been even at the start of camp but thats only because Hunt was further along with learning the offense. From what I saw at fanfest Allen just looked much more game ready from a skill standpoint and seems to have a confidence about him. Yes he threw two picks but one was a miscommunication (learning curve). A couple of Hunts passes could have just as easily been picks if tipped the wrong way.

I think it is important to note that Allen was at a slight disadvantage heading into camp, having to learn / execute the playbook AND acclimate himself with new teammates. Its one thing to throw passes at Coyne Field, and another to have the action be live.

And I don't view this as a knock on Hunt. Hunt could still be a very important player in the program's future, even if he doesn't see much time this year. Nothing wrong with being in position to be a two-year starter. If he does indeed lose out in this competition, I'm guessing that he'll be very well positioned heading into next spring, to say nothing of next season's camp, to earn the starting QB spot.

I think Hunt has to win the job by a considerable margin to get the nod. Contrary to what most have said, I fully believe a tie would go to Allen - not that I think it's a tie now.

If you take the 50,000 foot view of running a program- you don't bring in a 5th year guy from outside the program unless you fully intend on playing him- especially at qb.

You may have to go back to that well again and you don't want other recruiters saying "don't go to Syracuse, the last guy they took didn't play and they ruined his one chance at being a millionaire."

It's like taking hs players from hoop prep school factories and not playing them. Don't ever go back and try to get a second kid.

Now if you give the kid a chance and they fail - all bets are off.

I certainly expect Allen to get first shot, with Hunt being ready to go if Allen falters.

Both guys will see time. Shafer is not going to the route of Doug. I truly believe that which ever QB starts the other guy is going to see the field.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that? What are you basing that on?

Allen's they guy. He gives us the best chance to win this year.

Congrats to Drew. I do feel bad for Hunt, it seemed like he really wanted it, and has been through a lot. Hopefully he uses this time to continue to make himself better.

Hunt will be ok if he doesn't start this year. The last guy that got benched for a transfer is now our single season record holder and a NY Giant. Hunt need not look far to see how to react to these circumstances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom