Just some thoughts.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just some thoughts..

Buddy shot 35% from 3 as a freshman and 37% as a soph and now has regressed to 30% as a junior. I can't find any rational reason for this, he must just have lost his ability and is now rather below average 3 point shooter. Just admit that it is a convenient tool at this point for you to attack coach Boeheim thru his son. So low.

Trevor Cooney syndrome?

I’m going to nitpick a bit with Q. He’s been fantastic this year but if he could just develop some confidence in his left hand and not have to pump fake until he can get back to his right hand, he would be unstoppable inside. Again, he’s been great and the least of our concerns. Just an observation.
For this reason alone, we keep him another year.

Trevor Cooney syndrome?
I find it absurd that people look for other reasons for Buddy's shooting dip other than covid. Neither he or the team practiced the 2 weeks before the first game, which he played in. He then was in protocol himself for a couple of weeks and missed those games and practice time. He then returns and plays in several games until the Buffalo game at which point the entire team is shut down for several more games and no practice for 2 weeks. At this point the team has been playing and practicing since the 1st Pitt game, going on 3 weeks. Buddy's shooting, which should revert to closer to 40% from 3, is the last element this team needs to be a very dangerous team. Maybe Monday night at UVA we will see the fruit of coach playing him into shape.

Fair question.
But a big part of Andy Rautins' game was his role in the zone.
The defensive capabilities soared when he was on the floor.
He got his hands on a lot of passes.
Absolutely. But that has nothing to do with my comment or the comment it was in response to.

I find it absurd that people look for other reasons for Buddy's shooting dip other than covid. Neither he or the team practiced the 2 weeks before the first game, which he played in. He then was in protocol himself for a couple of weeks and missed those games and practice time. He then returns and plays in several games until the Buffalo game at which point the entire team is shut down for several more games and no practice for 2 weeks. At this point the team has been playing and practicing since the 1st Pitt game, going on 3 weeks. Buddy's shooting, which should revert to closer to 40% from 3, is the last element this team needs to be a very dangerous team. Maybe Monday night at UVA we will see the fruit of coach playing him into shape.

so for the record, you believe Buddy will be shooting 40% from 3 for the rest of the year?

despite never doing so?

He averaged 36 minutes last year...with no Covid until March.
This is not a debatable fact- Buddy plays too much in relation to how he's performing on the floor. The facts speak for themselves- that's if you actually want to review them instead of insinuating there's "nothing to see here", just Boeheim-bashing.
That's a lazy and utterly convenient way of seeing this issue. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

lol this is an all season issue not one game.
All season: you mean the one with limited practices, illnesses, stoppages in games, and 2 practice shutdowns of days on end, all of which mess with timing, conditioning, and players “finding their stroke”. That season. Yeah, I see why you might not want your top guys to get as much run as they can.

so for the record, you believe Buddy will be shooting 40% from 3 for the rest of the year?

despite never doing so?
Well, if Tony Gwynn hit .300 before the All Star break, chances were he would hit .400 the rest of the way to bring his average up.

Well, if Tony Gwynn hit .300 before the All Star break, chances were he would hit .400 the rest of the way to bring his average up.

thats why I was asking the question if that’s what he meant vs shooting 40 for the season.

All season: you mean the one with limited practices, illnesses, stoppages in games, and 2 practice shutdowns of days on end, all of which mess with timing, conditioning, and players “finding their stroke”. That season. Yeah, I see why you might not want your top guys to get as much run as they can.

I guess we differ on the notion of who our top guys are. By a lot.

Now it seems he has realized the zone isn’t close to the defensive force it used to be so he values potential offense the most. Notice I said potential. Buddy, and to a lesser extent Marek, definitely have high offensive potential.
Yes, kids are recruited to college and the NBA drafts underclassmen based much on potential. But during games, as learned in science class, potential energy doesn’t mean much unless it becomes kinetic energy. Be more flexible and go more often with who is providing the kinetics during the game. Potential alone doesn’t win games. But I understand what you are saying.

Our system turns elite shooters into volume shooters. It’s been that way for years.
That depends on your definition of elite shooters.

Good shooter doesn’t mean elite shooter.

Brady Heslip elite shooter.
Duncan Robinson elite shooter.

Buddy Boeheim is a good shooter not an elite shooter.

Freshman year 35%, soph 37%, rest of this season, north of 37%. I don't suppose it matters to Boeheim haters that the team smashed 2 ACC teams in the last 2 one ranked 16(Happy Alsacs) in the country.

He averaged 36 minutes last year...with no Covid until March.
This is not a debatable fact- Buddy plays too much in relation to how he's performing on the floor. The facts speak for themselves- that's if you actually want to review them instead of insinuating there's "nothing to see here", just Boeheim-bashing.
That's a lazy and utterly convenient way of seeing this issue. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
Who the hell did you want to play his minutes last year? The 3 guys who transfered that can't score the ball, they would have lost more games, or is winning games a secondary consideration for you?

Freshman year 35%, soph 37%, rest of this season, north of 37%. I don't suppose it matters to Boeheim haters that the team smashed 2 ACC teams in the last 2 one ranked 16(Happy Alsacs) in the country.
35% , 37% are good numbers they aren’t elite shooting numbers.

Look at the best shooters in the country they are north of 40%.

I am not saying he can’t shoot. Buddy is a weapon. We have people calling him an elite shooter. I don’t see that. An elite shooter would have a bad season and shoot 37% from 3.

This is what happens narratives get created so that legitimate points sound ridiculous.
Bill Parcells said it right you are what your record shows you are.
Not better not worse.

Buddy isn’t Duncan Robinson or Brady Heslip.
Those are elite shooters.
He is a good shooter who can have halfs like he did against UNC and carry the team.

And in neither of those games did Buddy make the difference. Not even close.

the fact that you are ignoring my question shows that you speak in ridiculous hyperbole that you don’t even believe

And in neither of those games did Buddy make the difference. Not even close.
You and many others here are to be very unhappy for the rest of this season and next season and possibly the season after because Buddy is going to be on the team and playing major minutes during those years. It could really affect your health.

the fact that you are ignoring my question shows that you speak in ridiculous hyperbole that you don’t even believe
Yes, I believe he will shoot 40%. I also believe they will win the ACC, which I doubt matters to you.

I guess we differ on the notion of who our top guys are. By a lot.
Doesn’t matter what we think. The guy at the front end of the bench makes the call. The rest is just noise.

I don't know the % offhand, but I actually think Griffin might be our best shooter. If he continues the good shot selection, I think he's a 40% 3-point shooter.

Doesn’t matter what we think. The guy at the front end of the bench makes the call. The rest is just noise.

We have every right to voice our opinion as fans. In January as ACC play resumed, Buddy B has averaged 38 min a game in his last six games. He was 14-46 from three and overall he averages two boards a game for a team that is desperate for rebounding help. His defense is well below average. Yet somehow it's critical that he get 38 min a night. Okee-dokee.

I don't know the % offhand, but I actually think Griffin might be our best shooter. If he continues the good shot selection, I think he's a 40% 3-point shooter.

Buddy B and Joe G could play 15 years up on the hill and I bet neither guy would average much more than mid 30s from behind the arc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom