just wait until they're good per play | Syracusefan.com

just wait until they're good per play

Millhouse

Living Legend
they're actually average on offense and below average on defense per play this year. szmyt was pretty darn important

going for it more is low hanging fruit but that wasnt that big a factor this year

the offense they run must have good success rates. all the bubble screens and easy chunks. this offense makes things easy, no confusion for qbs, few turnovers.

defense doesn't have to be dominant. running a lot of plays and throwing a lot in practice makes your defense better at catching interceptions

we did get some turnover luck this year. didn't force that many fumbles but recovered the 5th most

need to get better per play to match this year's record next year - i really think they can though

It seemed to me they slowed down much the year , controlled the games but didnt go crazy with speed. the better we get a really running the more the pace will go back up. also think TD has a better shot at a higher completion % and better throws on the bubbles and such will help move the chains.

the worry is still saving plays like ED did, but perhaps quicker throws, more accurate throws, and better running means less plays to be saved?

you cant always create turnovers but as you said, just catching the simple ones is huge.

It seemed to me they slowed down much the year , controlled the games but didnt go crazy with speed. the better we get a really running the more the pace will go back up. also think TD has a better shot at a higher completion % and better throws on the bubbles and such will help move the chains.

the worry is still saving plays like ED did, but perhaps quicker throws, more accurate throws, and better running means less plays to be saved?

you cant always create turnovers but as you said, just catching the simple ones is huge.
I agree it LOOKS like we’re going slower but we still ended up at 4th in plays per game at 81.2 (leader was At 82.9).

I think this may be a function of players being comfortable with the high pace which makes them appear slower. Reminds me of an old quote “be quick but don’t be in a hurry”

need to get better per play to match this year's record next year - i really think they can though

I'm optimistic that DeVito's strength's will help on this front. He'll throw more balls away than Dungey, and likely take more sacks as well, but I expect by a few games into the season the O is going to be a lot more efficient due to his accuracy.

DeVito stepping up into the pocket instead of bailing out east/west will extend routes and save plays just the same.

Devito’s ability to reintroduce the sideline pass while being an effective downfield threat will open our offense back up.

At times with Dungey, designed runs and the such were just more effective.

Last edited:
The formula is the same, but with better parts (just about everywhere):

- Dino banking on being the more efficient offense (tempo/reps advantage in practice, philosophy, 4th year in system, low turnover in assistant coaches, etc)
- The D works best with a lead (Ends can tee off, DB's picking off INTS, etc)
- Taking chances on 4th down, having an all American kicker boost efficiency

I agree it LOOKS like we’re going slower but we still ended up at 4th in plays per game at 81.2 (leader was At 82.9).

I think this may be a function of players being comfortable with the high pace which makes them appear slower. Reminds me of an old quote “be quick but don’t be in a hurry”
Without researching numbers, I'd bet fewer 3 and outs on offense and the defense getting the ball back to the offense quicker had more to do with it.

We definitely slowed down. Looked to the sideline more. I don't really care that we did that, but it's what happened. I never knew if it was a Lewis vs Lynch thing, or if defenses have caught onto what we try to do quickly and showed looks to take that away.

Seemed like we only went super quick if the corners were off and the bubble screen was there, or on certain running plays.

If we become comfortable enough to go fast and throw hook patterns, post patterns, kitchen sinks, how do you stop it?

We definitely slowed down. Looked to the sideline more. I don't really care that we did that, but it's what happened. I never knew if it was a Lewis vs Lynch thing, or if defenses have caught onto what we try to do quickly and showed looks to take that away.

Seemed like we only went super quick if the corners were off and the bubble screen was there, or on certain running plays.

If we become comfortable enough to go fast and throw hook patterns, post patterns, kitchen sinks, how do you stop it?

Yeah, this.

I know it's all about getting to the line quickly, but then if you reset and look to the sideline, pretty much the only pressure you're putting on the D there, is not being able to sub.

Many times I wish we'd just gone ahead and gone for the play, quickly.
So much of what we did is RPO anyway, it gives the QB the option to read the D then, and go with whatever looks best.

I think we can still get faster in that regard, and that, along with another slight uptick in efficiency, could lead to another big leap in productivity on O for us.

Yeah, this.

I know it's all about getting to the line quickly, but then if you reset and look to the sideline, pretty much the only pressure you're putting on the D there, is not being able to sub.

Many times I wish we'd just gone ahead and gone for the play, quickly.
So much of what we did is RPO anyway, it gives the QB the option to read the D then, and go with whatever looks best.

I think we can still get faster in that regard, and that, along with another slight uptick in efficiency, could lead to another big leap in productivity on O for us.
I think rushing to the line and looking to the sideline also gives the coaches a chance to call a play based on the defensive alignment and giving the defense less opportunity to adjust. I saw other tempo teams do it before Dino was here.

also felt we pushed pace after a first down. There we many time we picked up the first down and dungey hustled everyone to line and picked another 4 to 6 yards just by catching defense off guard making 2nd down a bit easier. It also seemed he always fake snapped it on 3rd down and looked to the sideline for play

It also seemed like we decided for 2-3 series a game that we would line up and run the plays hyper fast.

Those drives usually went well until they were stalled by a mysterious injury to a defensive player.

Maybe we will to sleep a little bit, then hit with the rapid stuff.

There was a sequence in the bowl game where we completed a pass downfield (15 yards or so), got up to the line and snapped the next play in NINE seconds. Not clock time 9 seconds, but Earth time 9 seconds. It was breathtaking (probably literally for the players).

We don't need to do that all the time, but when we're hummin' it's gotta be impossible for the D to deal with (absent faking an injury).

I like tempo but sometimes huddling is good , uuu can calm the team and go over a quick specific. Our system has produced 5000 yard passers with Johnson and jimmy g I think we have that potential next year . We can also go under center more if coach chooses . On another note Texas played with fire last night that’s how we need to play week in and week out .

I agree with your observation.
The whole pace thing is how fast you can get your play call and get to the line.
Once at the line, if the play is there, then "go".
If it wasn't, then they looked to the sideline for an audible against the particular defensive personnel.
It's about knowing what you're doing, not just going fast for the sake of fast.
It was all about getting match-ups that you can exploit.

it would be interesting to see snaps/sec when the games in doubt vs other times of the game.

Wizard of Westwood

Is the reason we are average on offense in yards per play and below average on defense primarily a function of big-yardage plays? If you think about it, we gave up a TON of big plays on defense early in the year (e.g., the WMU game). On the other hand, my instinct is that we weren't a particularly big-play team on offense because (1) our running backs lacked home-run speed, and (2) we didn't complete that many bombs because that wasn't Dungey's strength and our receiving corps was a pretty young work in progress.

We were 106 yards per game closer to the goal than the other teams when our possessions began. That's an extra 106 yards of offense.

We were 106 yards per game closer to the goal than the other teams when our possessions began. That's an extra 106 yards of offense.
6 20+ yard punt returns this year, only 2 in 2012

356 punt return yards to 119 in 2012

it all helps explain some of the difference but it's still hard to explain a 33% improvement in scoring

Is the reason we are average on offense in yards per play and below average on defense primarily a function of big-yardage plays? If you think about it, we gave up a TON of big plays on defense early in the year (e.g., the WMU game). On the other hand, my instinct is that we weren't a particularly big-play team on offense because (1) our running backs lacked home-run speed, and (2) we didn't complete that many bombs because that wasn't Dungey's strength and our receiving corps was a pretty young work in progress.
believe it or not we are 20th in 30+ yard plays, 17th in 40+ yard plays, 21st in 50+, 18th in 60+

i feel like i'm shooting everything down but i don't have good answers either

the offense is going to be totally bonkers in 2020. i'm looking forward to next year but I'm really looking forward to 2020 - devito will need to learn next year but i expect him to have an amazing 2020

6 20+ yard punt returns this year, only 2 in 2012

356 punt return yards to 119 in 2012

it all helps explain some of the difference but it's still hard to explain a 33% improvement in scoring

Redzone . 75 possessions vs 59. 9 more TD's, 10 more FG's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom