just wait until they're good per play | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

just wait until they're good per play

Redzone . 75 possessions vs 59. 9 more TD's, 10 more FG's.
it's a little odd that we have so mnay more rz possessions this year considering that we had more yards in 2012 but it has to be field position (punt returns and INT)

twice as many INT

2012 had a better td% in the rz. szmyt vs krautman accounts for 1 of the 10 point difference (if you gave krautman szmyt's percentage, it would be 10% of the 10 pt gap)

INT and punt returns explain a lot, i guess

2012 must've had decently long drives stall just outside the red zone

i believe that fumbles and fumble recoveries are largely luck but I think INT are not luck - babers plan is working - don't try to be michigan giving up no yards, just be not terrible in yards, put pressure on opposing offenses by scoring a lot, and catch the ball - practicing a zillion passes on offense makes your defense better at catching them

Redzone . 75 possessions vs 59. 9 more TD's, 10 more FG's.
long story short, the best way to play the field position game is to have a good punt returner and dbs that can catch.

no one would've thought of a no huddle offensive centric approach as being the best way to win the field position battle, that is usually the run and stop the run guys that think that way

Hofrichter's kickoffs and punts help as well.

As to Michigan's concept vs. SU's. I think offenses need to be more dominant to be effective. They have to maintain possession of the ball. Defenses can give up plays and then erase them with one big play. Although I think we did pretty well at not allowing the opposition to sustain drives, except in the Clemson and Pittsburgh games. We've been really good on third down two years in a row now and we had a lot of TFLs.

Hofrichter's kickoffs and punts help as well.

As to Michigan's concept vs. SU's. I think offenses need to be more dominant to be effective. They have to maintain possession of the ball. Defenses can give up plays and then erase them with one big play. Although I think we did pretty well at not allowing the opposition to sustain drives, except in the Clemson and Pittsburgh games. We've been really good on third down two years in a row now and we had a lot of TFLs.

Dana specifically mentioned that our 3rd down D was great all year and good vs them. He also didn't enjoy our D red zone %.

6 20+ yard punt returns this year, only 2 in 2012

356 punt return yards to 119 in 2012

it all helps explain some of the difference but it's still hard to explain a 33% improvement in scoring
That doesn't completely explain the difference in field position though. I would guess forcing punts deeper in the opponents territory and field position after ints had something tomdo with it.

That doesn't completely explain the difference in field position though. I would guess forcing punts deeper in the opponents territory and field position after ints had something tomdo with it.

cfbstats.com - 2018 Syracuse Orange Passing Defense Situational Stats

we had 11 interceptions inside the opponents 40 yard line and 5 of them in 2012, took me a bunch of posts to finally think to look for that

interceptions on the opponent's side of the field took from a pretty good year to a really good year

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom