Just watched a third time. | Syracusefan.com

Just watched a third time.

Crusty

Living Legend
Trying to decide if PSU defense was that good or if we were that bad. Pretty much decided that we were that bad.

No getting around it - the more you watch the last three quarters the worse Allen looks. Quite frankly he looked like a freshman. Not only was he inaccurate - he was very inaccurate. He overthrew wide open receivers and, as we all know, threw it OOB a couple of times. We might have had an interference call on one if the ball had been catchable. He even underthrew the 55 yard play to Kobena.

I watched closely and the only time he made an arm fake was on the run he made. Most of the time he just stared down the primary like a freshman. This was not just lack of communication this was just a miserable performance.

So, here is the thing - is he really that bad or did he just have a bad day? I have to believe he just had a bad day. If he had performed like this in practice Hunt would have been named the starter.

The OLine missed assignments more often than one would like even fof game one. Foy, for example, screwed up and almost got Allen killed.

GMII is the real deal. He almost broke it twice and just looked like he was cruising. Very deceptive speed. He needs more touches, period.

Wondering why Smith didn't get more touches. Gulley was not having a good day and Smith was doing fine.

GIVEN ALL OF THE CHANGES I AM STARTING TO FEEL LIKE WE HAVE THE TALENT AND JUST NEED SOME TIME. THIS IS A GOOD TEAM AND I THINK THE COACHING STAFF IS ON THE RIGHT TRACK. D LOOKS GOOD AND WILL GET BETTER AND THE O IS TRYING TO GET THE BALL TO PLAYMAKERS. WE MAY NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO BE READY FOR NW BUT WE SHOULD BE READY FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON.

I am at peace for the rest of the week now.
Go Orange!

Despite what everyone here says, the receivers sans West, are fine.

Allen was atrocious, and the line so-so

Flemming showed some things as did AB. Kobena and Clark got separation often

We need to get everyone more touches. ;-)

After watching it back I noticed the same thing with Smith needing more touches. I want to say PTG got a lot of playing time because his threat to catch the ball, but either way Smith needs 75% of the carries he's just too good. His speed looked much better this year as he got to the edge twice. I still can't figure out why Gulley got 12 carries? If anything I wouldn't mind seeing Morris get 5 of those.

Also I don't want to be too critical of Allen because when he had time, and before PSU made adjustments he was 6-8 for 67 yards and looking good. That right there gives me hope that he can get the job done. Still you have to think is it worth wasting the season waiting for everyone to get on the same page just to graduate Allen and have to do it all over again. I thought Hunt showed enough where he could have performed well enough, but more importantly using this season to be broken in for the next 2 years where we should be really really good. But that's a discussion for a different day

One thing that is a good thing power wise is that they scored from the 1 on the first try. You have to like that after how they used to struggle from that spot in the past.

I rewatched the game focusing on Allen.

Allen performed very well during the first Qtr and into the 2nd and from then on it generally went downhill from there. Having said that, I found some things I liked.

On swing passes to the backs and passes to the TEs he had great touch and was on the money. There was an exception in the 3rd qtr where a pass to Gulley in the flat was overthrown. There were two drops on passes to backs: the first was to Estime in the fourth series that the announcer said was a bad throw. While it wasn't perfect, Estime had both hands on it and dropped it as he stole a glance upfield. IMO that one was on Estime. The first play of the last series Allen tried to hit Gulley on a swing pass to the left side & Gulley dropped the ball - should have been a catch.

Sideline passes down the field were pretty bad. One exception was a 23 yard throw down the left sideline to Clark with great touch on it. The last play of the game with a great interception by PSU was horrible. Given his lack of reps with Okla and him still trying to get in synch with the receivers, I would be surprised to see much improvement in game 2.

The long pass to Kobena for 55 yards down the middle was a thing a beauty. The only fault I could find with the play was that the receiver has to slow down slightly otherwise it was 6. If he can continue this it will be provide us with a weapon we seldom saw over the past few years with the exception of the first Pinstripe bowl.

His touch on slant passes was pretty good. The Broyld drop was a killer. There were some incomplete passes over the middle but they were due to great coverage and not the throw. His interception where he threw directly to the defender was atrocious.

He also had at least two knockdowns by the defensive line - one on a screen pass attempt he should not have made. Would have had better luck faking the throw and tucking it down for a run around end. He did have a nice run for a first down on the first series of the 4th qtr. While we will never confuse him with McNabb I think he has the potential to be more mobile than Ryan.

His two sacks were pretty bad. The first one on a push up the gut by the defensive tackle was Nassib-esque. The second where he never saw the linebacker coming from the left defensive end showed me he has a way to go to develope some pocket presence.

Overall not a good game by Allen. There were some positives and some pretty bad plays, but to call his overall game atrocious is a bit much. I'm a "glass is half full" fan who likes to wear Orange glasses & am hopefult that with more practice and game action under the belt we will see improvement. NW should give us a sense as to where the trajectory is going.

how allen played did not decide the game. this is all on the oline.

I always tape the game when I either can't watch it live, or am at the event. One of the first things I did when I got home from Met Life was to delete the game from my list.

I watched the replay yesterday. While there are issues all over the field, there were two plays in the third qtr that couldve made a difference. These are plays we need to make going forward:

1- Cam Lynch dropped a sure pick six down 13-10.

2- Reddish got caught by the 300 lber and we came away with zero points.

While we never should rely on the D to provide our scoring, There was at least 10 pts left on the field. Go cuse. Beat NW!

after watching for a second time, I can't believe how bad Ed Cunningham was. ABC should be embarrassed to have him employed on a national telecast . wow.

I was going to watch the game again, but then I decided to go in the garage and smack my shins a few times with the claw end of my hammer.

shaving the hairs on your legs takes much more skill when done with a chainsaw

Its the last weekend of summer, get outside. Jeezum

Hey wait a minute - you guys are inside reading this and you are dumping on me?!! I am visiting in-laws and didn't have much to do so I wound up watching the replay. Better than Sponge Bob (I think).

Hey wait a minute - you guys are inside reading this and you are dumping on me?!! I am visiting in-laws and didn't have much to do so I wound up watching the replay. Better than Sponge Bob (I think).
For the record, I was outside at camp.

But, yeah I suppose that's better than square pants and in laws.

after watching for a second time, I can't believe how bad Ed Cunningham was. ABC should be embarrassed to have him employed on a national telecast . wow.
He was just as bad the first time through.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

hey i like it crusty just be yourself... some of these people may think their cool with their awesome lives they live... We Will Beat NW!

I'll take a recap done after a 3rd viewing over pointless complaining and bed wetting all day, every day. Good post.

When Allen relaxes a bit I think the pump fakes and look offs will improve. The 4 or 5 drops definitely hurt as we had 74 snaps offensively, catch those and we have a solid shot at 85. I'm still not sure about Allens pocket presence yet.

One thing about PSU playing the run first was that those linemen will be back a bit on the pass and wave those big ole arms.

As much as I saw a few mistakes by Foy I also thought there was a play that Macky was slow to help on a negative play as well. PSU pretty much played straight up D and some movement/stunts from a good defense worry me a bit on that right side of our line.

Like to add that Allen dropped back around 40 times and was sacked twice. How many times was he hurried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom