Justin was there for the game winner | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Justin was there for the game winner

Figured that screen shots would help this discussion.

Couple of things:
1) No shot clock, ~17 seconds left when Judah set up at the 3 pt line.

2) Girard runs a loop through the paint, drags his man out of the arc and is basically absent from the rest of the play.

3) Benny is absent from the play

4) Jesse calls for a pass, and flashes to the basket, but that would require Judah to throw an alley oop over two defenders, which is a bad idea considering the size differential.

5) Bees is right that Justin isn't in position for Judah to make a pass when he gets into trouble, no one else is either.

6) Judah dribbles into a double-team and then slows down which pulls a third defender into him. Instead of, best case, kicking out to what should be an open Joe or Justin, or basic offense to pull back, reset and try to get an open jumper with 12 seconds, it's game-ending turnover.

7) This is what infuriates me about JAB's offensive philosophy about ISO basketball and deferring to his skill players making plays. Judah puts himself in a bad position, no one is in the right spot to help him, and with nearly 18 seconds to operate, they use 5 seconds with 1-on-3 game-ending TO. No passes, no purposeful movement, just pure pick-up ball ISO. Just looking at the stills, Benny could move to the foul line as Jesse flashes to the post. He'd be going directly to where Judah is looking, and he could wipe his man off on Jesse and be open for a jumper. It's easier in hindsight, but that doesn't change the fact that there is zero plan here other than Judah trying to get a layup and no plan B.

View attachment 224220

View attachment 224218

View attachment 224217
Man, looking at these stills, get it to Jesse, and Jesse can draw Bennie's man, and Bennie is open for a dunk.

Opponents are really smart about when they jump Judah. They are jumping at just the right time in his dribble.

Girard probably went a little too early, Williams wasn't ready.

Joe went to hide at half court for some reason. Just a mess. But there was still 15 seconds.

After he didn’t get the ball I think he went away to take his defender with him since it was obvious what Judah was going to do.

After he didn’t get the ball I think he went away to take his defender with him since it was obvious what Judah was going to do.
thank goodness for that, it was only one on three, could've been one on four

you can go somewhere else where you might be a threat to score.

Seriously? Who's going to have this conversation with him and how's it going to go?

Joe: "Stop with the hero ball shots. I've been doing it for 3+ years now, and it's me who takes them."
JB: "Stop with the hero ball stuff like Buddy did for the last 4 years..."

I disdain what SU's offense has become over the last few years. I'd agree with the poster above about PGs having a point guard background. They got lucky with MCW and the ability of MGB to become a PG, but
they really need to find true PGs to bring in, regardless of their size and how they fit in the zone. A short
quick jitterbug PG can be hidden in the zone - I mean, they've been doing it or trying to with Girard for
years - but they need to offensive flow.

Kev
Seriously? Did you actually read my post? JB needs to speak with him. Who else, equipment manager, chart keeper? The green light to shoot doesn’t mean take a shot on the line when it is a horrible look. Let it keep festering then. Great for team morale. The heck with the wide open shooters.

thank goodness for that, it was only one on three, could've been one on four

you can go somewhere else where you might be a threat to score.

Or he may have been cheating separation with his defender so if Judah did start to reset he’d try to make a move to get around him with a little space. Who knows. But one thing I do know is he didn’t go to hide.

Couple of things:

2) Girard runs a loop through the paint, drags his man out of the arc and is basically absent from the rest of the play.

4) Jesse calls for a pass, and flashes to the basket, but that would require Judah to throw an alley oop over two defenders, which is a bad idea considering the size differential.

5) Bees is right that Justin isn't in position for Judah to make a pass when he gets into trouble, no one else is either.

6) Judah dribbles into a double-team and then slows down which pulls a third defender into him. Instead of, best case, kicking out to what should be an open Joe or Justin, or basic offense to pull back, reset and try to get an open jumper with 12 seconds, it's game-ending turnover.

7) This is what infuriates me about JAB's offensive philosophy about ISO basketball and deferring to his skill players making plays. Judah puts himself in a bad position, no one is in the right spot to help him, and with nearly 18 seconds to operate, they use 5 seconds with 1-on-3 game-ending TO. No passes, no purposeful movement, just pure pick-up ball ISO. Just looking at the stills, Benny could move to the foul line as Jesse flashes to the post. He'd be going directly to where Judah is looking, and he could wipe his man off on Jesse and be open for a jumper. It's easier in hindsight, but that doesn't change the fact that there is zero plan here other than Judah trying to get a layup and no plan B.

View attachment 224220

View attachment 224218

View attachment 224217
Probably grinded more tape here than the assistants do.;)

Judahs biggest problem in my eyes. Definitely his biggest opportunity for improvement.
If some players see this as an issue, that is being wide open and continually not receiving the ball, and that player or two or even three are on the bubble about entering the portal and not returning next year, that is a huge unseen problem. Nobody wants to be public about not getting the ball but it is their for everyone to see. You cannot tell me players are not already upset with being wide open and continually skipped over by Judah, and also JGIII.

He’s not an nba player, now or in the near future.

he’s doesn’t have a single league level talent.
He has a nice jumper once he gets that going will defintely be a NBA player, guys sag off on him now makes it hard

Couple of things:

View attachment 224220

View attachment 224218

View attachment 224217
I need one more screen shot as Justin will move to his right as his defender’s head turns toward the ball. If Judah’s head was into inside out instead of full boar ahead…….. 79-78 good guys.

I don't know much about high school and aau basketball but anyone playing pg here should also play pg in high school and aau. If a good scorer needs to be on the wing to avoid getting locked up in high school, what are we doing playing them there a year later here?

It's the biggest problem with the zone. The height we need to defend leaves us without ball handling on offense. We keep hoping to find a tall combo guard who can learn to shoot and play point guard. Unicorns. Biggest reason why I hope the zone goes when boeheim goes, zone hurts our offense
That type of PG is already on the roster. Quadir Copeland. He'll reel in the turnovers, and learn to shoot better. Just needs a bit of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom