Kadary Richmond in the transfer portal | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Kadary Richmond in the transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's going to play within a coach's structure (not his own) wherever he goes.

JB gave him the ball and told him to attack the tin. That doesn't sound too terrible.

JB told him not to shoot, then?

JB told him to play behind Joe.

JB told the media that Joe and Buddy were the best defensive pairing at guard.

JB told the media that he wasn't in shape.

Maybe the new coach might have the audacity to let him shoot, start and not trash him to the media.

I see *some* of that as JB using the things in his tool belt to get what he wants from him (better player for us, better development for pro career) but let's break it down:

- Some players respond to public criticism
- He 100% said all that stuff in private and in practice
- Not the 1st time he started an inferior player who was older and brought a different skill set
- For hyping up Joe and Griffin, Joe ended up taking better shots as the year went on and sitting when he didn't. Griffin sat a bunch because of defensive issues. Both sat as a result of coaching, same as Kadary

In the end we can say JB was stubborn and stuck to his guns and the kid didn't respond and that's a net negative. Or that public criticism backfired (a fair point). But I think it's more clear that he was trying to get him to be a better player than being dumb and playing favorites because he likes playing inferior players or whatever that rationale is
I just spent a season watching the greatest football coach in history play the decaying shell of Cam Newton *and* re-sign him for next season. Even the great ones occasionally have weird blind spots, or make decisions that are somewhat incomprehensible.

Some of the arguments in this thread continue to be utterly bizarre.

Kadary played 589 minutes this year, and took 139 shots

Joe played 776 minutes, and took 258 shots.

Both largely played point guard, and spent some time/possessions off the ball.

Joe played a 32% more minutes, and took 86% more shots. Yet according to some, Kadary apparently is some selfish jerk who just wants to gun without conscience? I mean, that kind of player is already on the team. Where's the dismissive clapback over that?

I'll say for the 1000th time, I like Joe, and I want him on the team. He's a good player who can help SU. But this isn't rocket science. Kadary saw what happened this season, and apparently had no confidence that it might meaningfully change next year. Maybe he's wrong about that, but then the staff (all of them) need to take some blame for not convincing him.
I want the guy who shoots better to shoot more?!

Playing time was trending towards more even or KR passing Joe next year.

JB played the more experienced player earlier.

None of this is bizarre.

...Kadary saw what happened this season, and apparently had no confidence that it might meaningfully change next year. Maybe he's wrong about that, but then the staff (all of them) need to take some blame for not convincing him.
If it wasn't going to change then I don't blame him for leaving. It's called maximizing your potential and reaching for life's aspirations. My biggest problem is that Kadary's skill set is/was a perfect fit for SU's offense and defense. He is exactly what the coaches should be looking for in a PG. I have no comment on any offcourt stuff that I have no direct knowledge of. But if it truly was on court issues then yes, the entire coaching staff shares responsibility. Everyone of them is a former SU PG. If they couldn't or wouldn't influence the head coach for the team's sake then I'm not really sure what good any of them are doing the SU program anymore.

Not sure how true this is, but apparently Kadary was done regardless. 1.1 GPA and he never met with his tutor, next fall would have been ineligible unless he did summer school..? Just something I heard don’t take my word for it not sure if it’s true or not but it’s making its rounds it seems

I remember people weren’t sure if he could qualify out of HS, so does have some legs

Maybe the new coach might have the audacity to let him shoot, start and not trash him to the media.

Other coaches give press conferences that are about at acerbic as JB.

If he's a better driver than shooter, the coach will ask him to drive, or pass the ball to the better shooter.

I HATE that this kid is leaving, but the coddling is bit much.

I want the guy who shoots better to shoot more?!

Playing time was trending towards more even or KR passing Joe next year.

JB played the more experienced player earlier.

None of this is bizarre.
Joe shoots better than Kadary? I'm not well-versed in hoops analytics, but I don't think there are many metrics that would support that in totality.

And again, maybe KR would have grabbed hold of the 1 next season, but for whatever reason, he wasn't convinced that could be the case. Which is a bummer.

*edit* Also, in the only 7 game stretch of the season where Kadary saw more minutes than Joe, it was all of 3 more minutes/game. The trend was there, but it was very slight.

If he's a better driver than shooter, the coach will ask him to drive, or pass the ball to the better shooter.

The kid sat behind someone he was better than, didn't gripe and played through an injury.

CODDLING? The kid deserves a medal.

Coddling is what is going on with JGIII.

I mean, the coddling of Joe this year was far more extreme. Joe is an extremely poor driver, frequently getting blocked by every member of the opposing team. And his shot was worse this year. Yet we heard from the rumor mill that JB was worried about impacting Joe's confidence if he pulled him.

Guess we will see how that 5'11' confidence bet pays off next year.

Not sure how true this is, but apparently Kadary was done regardless. 1.1 GPA and he never met with his tutor, next fall would have been ineligible unless he did summer school..? Just something I heard don’t take my word for it not sure if it’s true or not but it’s making its rounds it seems

I remember people weren’t sure if he could qualify out of HS, so does have some legs

Wouldn't that be an issue if he were trying to be eligible at a team he would transfer to?

wouldnt surprise me...

Joe shoots better than Kadary? I'm not well-versed in hoops analytics, but I don't think there are many metrics that would support that in totality.

And again, maybe KR would have grabbed hold of the 1 next season, but for whatever reason, he wasn't convinced that could be the case. Which is a bummer.

*edit* Also, in the only 7 game stretch of the season where Kadary saw more minutes than Joe, it was all of 3 more minutes/game. The trend was there, but it was very slight.
JB famously decides who has the green light to shoot by how they perform in practice. Again, not bizarre.

Most coaches want you to do what you do well in practice, in games.

Wouldn't that be an issue if he were trying to be eligible at a team he would transfer to?
depends on what school that is

FSU and Kentucky are not well known for academic vigor or NCAA compliance

JB famously decides who has the green light to shoot by how they perform in practice. Again, not bizarre.

Most coaches want you to do what you do well in practice, in games.
My "bizarre" comment was entirely about people trashing Kadary now because he's some selfish jerk. The kid did precisely what the coach told him to do all year. People telling him to get bent because he feels that he can contribute more is bizarre to me, given that all season he did what he was told and kept his mouth shut. Trash the DeShaun's of the world.

Joe shoots 35%. That’s not better.
Kadary shot way less overall and way more uncontested (because people played off him)
Kadary's release is slow
Joe shot better in practice, is known as a shooter and gets guarded as such

I'd rather Kadary drive than Joe, because he's better at it
Joe can't finish in the lane

JB wants guys to do what they do best, stay in their lane. This is typical of coaching

My "bizarre" comment was entirely about people trashing Kadary now because he's some selfish jerk. The kid did precisely what the coach told him to do all year. People telling him to get bent because he feels that he can contribute more is bizarre to me, given that all season he did what he was told and kept his mouth shut. Trash the DeShaun's of the world.
Ahh - see that now. I apologize

I see way more people upset that he's leaving than trashing him. I think he had room for improvement and JB was trying to get him there

Saying Joe and Buddy were the best defensive pairing is nonsensical stuff he says to slap down anything he views as criticism. He can be exhausting with that crap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors