Kaleb Joseph "is now a sophomore" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph "is now a sophomore"

The assists with Joseph are misleading, imo. He shows VERY little ability right now to run a team and show some court vision. He passes it to get rid of the ball/hot potato style rather than to make a winning play. If someone makes a shot after that then there is your assist. Patterson sees the floor way better than him.

The assists with Joseph are misleading, imo. He shows VERY little ability right now to run a team and show some court vision. He passes it to get rid of the ball/hot potato style rather than to make a winning play. If someone makes a shot after that then there is your assist. Patterson sees the floor way better than him.

I don't agree with the highlighted portion above. But I do agree that Patterson is way more purposeful when he drives, whereas Kaleb doesn't look to do that often.

I don't agree with the highlighted portion above. But I do agree that Patterson is way more purposeful when he drives, whereas Kaleb doesn't look to do that often.
Yeah, I don't think that Joseph necessarily sees the floor too much worse than Buss - I just think he's very indecisive right now. As you said, Buss is purposeful. Joseph gets into the lane and isn't quite sure what he's going to do when he gets there.

That's fine. I mean being more timid and void of setting up teammates properly. He can obviously make a good play like a mid-range J.

Agreed. Kaleb's drives result in his own shots primarily. Ron realizes he doesn't have that ability (by decree of Boeheim) so he looks for the pass first.

Here's how Joseph stacks up against the other freshman point guards in SU history: http://.com/how-does-kaleb-joseph-compare-to-su-freshman-point-guards/

Nicely done. Joseph will wind up being a very good college PG here he just had too many area's that needed improvement all at once coming in. Its been an overwhelming season for him but he's gone through it all with a good attitude and seems very coachable. He been showing signs and we know he is a hard worker so I expect pretty good all around improvements from him next year to build on a pretty strong finish.

Dang its easy to forget how great Jonny was out of the gate and he did it on a team that lacked shooters and had less experience than this years squad once Devo went down. Incredible college PG and IMO after Sherm and Pearl he should be getting his due amongst the best of JB's tenure.

That's fine. I mean being more timid and void of setting up teammates properly. He can obviously make a good play like a mid-range J.

Yeah. He is definitely more timid.

But I think he showed outstanding floor vision / play making apptitude earlier in the year. Its just tough to show it when you're picking up your dribble outside of the three point line and not looking to drive. That Michigan game was probably the best example of what I mean. He's a good passer. He's got good vision. He lacks confidence in his handle which is limiting him right now.

I know it is subtle and hard to see, when he isn't out there doing much. But trust me--this kid has the chops for lead guard. A strong offseason will do him [and us] wonders.

My concern is that Franklin Howard looks like a very nice complimentary player, so if Kaleb winds up being more of a combo guard, who is going to be our PG of the future? I realize G could play some PG next year but I'm looking long term.

What makes you think Kaleb winds up being a combo guard?

He is a PG and nothing like a SG or a combo.

Yeah. He is definitely more timid.

But I think he showed outstanding floor vision / play making apptitude earlier in the year. Its just tough to show it when you're picking up your dribble outside of the three point line and not looking to drive. That Michigan game was probably the best example of what I mean. He's a good passer. He's got good vision. He lacks confidence in his handle which is limiting him right now.

I don't really see that yet. We can agree to disagree. That's why this message board exists. Definitely agree with the confidence/handle thing. The picking up the dribble constantly is a major red flag still. As a JB said he is sophomore now. He'll get better I hope but man it is frustrating.

What makes you think Kaleb winds up being a combo guard?

He is a PG and nothing like a SG or a combo.

I don't think he's a combo guard. I was reacting to Ghost's post (post #4) in thios thread, where Ghost said that at worst Kaleb projects as a nice combo guard. It was a what if Ghost is correct post. Kaleb was more of a combo in high school, so he's still in the early stages of learning the PG position. I think he has the potential to get there but as others have said, he needs to get stronger, work on his handle and work on his left hand. And try to play a little defense.

It was great to see Kaleb make a couple of big shots late. He has made progress in some ways this year. But his defense is still bad. He looks like he still is unsure of the rotations and is out of position too much. He allows way too much penetration by opposing guards into the paint. And the next time he raises his arms to put a hand in a shooter's face will be the first. I've never seen anything quite like it and it drives me crazy. He has offensive potential that should continue to develop.

It was great to see Kaleb make a couple of big shots late. He has made progress in some ways this year. But his defense is still bad. He looks like he still is unsure of the rotations and is out of position too much. He allows way too much penetration by opposing guards into the paint. And the next time he raises his arms to put a hand in a shooter's face will be the first. I've never seen anything quite like it and it drives me crazy. He has offensive potential that should continue to develop.

I think all of our guards do most of what you say above, but Kaleb is especially bad at contesting shots. Puts his hand near the guy's stomach. Not sure what that is supposed to do other than tell JB its time for Kaleb to sit down. ArGGGHHGHGHGHHG

Kaleb is very quick and has an excellent mid-range game. When he develops 3-point range, he'll be very difficult to guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom