Kaleb Joseph "is now a sophomore" | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph "is now a sophomore"

2-3zone

2nd String
Finally someone said it and it was the person who matters most Jim Boeheim.

JB said this late in the year you are no longer a freshman and Kaleb can't keep making the same mistakes over and over again but for some reason he is still doing it.

I still have doubts he will ever be a top level college player and going forward for next year this team will really need Silent G to return and be our starting PG

JB said this late in the year you are no longer a freshman and Kaleb can't keep making the same mistakes over and over again but for some reason he is still doing it.

I still have doubts he will ever be a top level college player and going forward for next year this team will really need Silent G to return and be our starting PG
I have been hard on KJ from jump street. But it is way too early to write him off.

One thing that would be nice is if Roberson got out of his way when he starts his drives.

It's always too early to write these kids off if they're frosh. He obviously has skills. Does he have PG skills (remains to be seen for me)?

He's got a nice mid-range game, and I'm sure his decision making going to the rim will improve. Worst case scenario he's a versatile combo guard for the next few years here. Nothing wrong with that - at all. Could be more!! Hope it is!

Honestly, if we hadn't been absolutely spoiled by Ennis last year, we'd probably all be thinking that a freshman point guard unexpectedly forced into a starting role and averaging 6.9 points and 4.4 assists per game was having a decent first year. He's basically just a little bit below freshman year Jason Hart, in terms of production, and almost dead on with Michael Edwards. I think he'll wind up being closer to the player Hart was than Edwards was when it's all said and done.

My concern is that Franklin Howard looks like a very nice complimentary player, so if Kaleb winds up being more of a combo guard, who is going to be our PG of the future? I realize G could play some PG next year but I'm looking long term.

iommi said:
My concern is that Franklin Howard looks like a very nice complimentary player, so if Kaleb winds up being more of a combo guard, who is going to be our PG of the future? I realize G could play some PG next year but I'm looking long term.

Good question.

Howard is a great passer, but he'll need to grow into the PG position.

The competition between Howard and Joseph will be a good thing.

we have no long term PG plan and nothing on that front in the pipeline

edit: that is if Howard isnt a PG

Conversely, I have ZERO doubts that he will be a top level college player.

I think kaleb has plenty of upside, I think he is a year away physically and im not ready to decide on him until next year.

I think class of 16' Howard Washington will be our long-term answer for PG of the future.

Why would Kaleb end up being more of a combo guard?

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that we have no second PG option for Joseph to work against in practice. It's very difficult to improve over the course of a season without some legitimate competition in practice. Hope Howard is able to do that next season. And play some, too. It would be nice if he could play.

Is the pure point guard on the endangered species list the way the scoring center has been in recent years? We seem to be doing alot of converting combo guards. Both Jardine and Triche were combos. if I recall MCW wasn't always a point man. Ennis was a pure PG but Joseph isn't and Howard isn't either, from the reports.

I'm looking at all of the point guards who have started for JB as freshmen. Of the nine, Kaleb is on pace for the third fewest turnovers of the bunch, behind just Tyler Ennis (58) and Brandon Triche (71). The most turnovers by freshmen point guards under JB? Red Autry (112) and Pearl Washington (111). Kaleb has 65 right now. He might wind up having fewer than Triche, depending on how these last five games go, but I wouldn't count on that.

And yes, I'm looking this up because I plan on writing something up comparing the numbers for my site for tomorrow.

I'm looking at all of the point guards who have started for JB as freshmen. Of the nine, Kaleb is on pace for the third fewest turnovers of the bunch, behind just Tyler Ennis (58) and Brandon Triche (71). The most turnovers by freshmen point guards under JB? Red Autry (112) and Pearl Washington (111). Kaleb has 65 right now. He might wind up having fewer than Triche, depending on how these last five games go, but I wouldn't count on that.

And yes, I'm looking this up because I plan on writing something up comparing the numbers for my site for tomorrow.
How do Kaleb's minutes compare to Triche?

Why would Kaleb end up being more of a combo guard?

I don't think he will be, but I was really referring to Ghost's post above. I will say that Kaleb has not shown great floor vision or ability to set up his teammates, two pretty important PG attributes. But he does have the tools to get there. My biggest beef with him is his apparent lack of effort on defense.

why choose turnovers as a metric?

I don't think he will be, but I was really referring to Ghost's post above. I will say that Kaleb has not shown great floor vision or ability to set up his teammates, two pretty important PG attributes. But he does have the tools to get there. My biggest beef with him is his apparent lack of effort on defense.

Really? Those are two things that I'd say he's done well. He seems like a very solid passer who has a good feel for setting up his teammates.

The things I'd knock would be confidence in his handle, defense, etc. But playmaking is not something I'd say is a criticism I'd worry about with Kaleb. Just my two cents.

I have really been liking what I have seen from KJ the past few games. He is playing with a ton more confidence and it shows. Even though he missed them in both instances, he stepped up and took a big shot in each of the last 2 games. You can tell Boeheim had no problem with the shot either, and was probably happy he had the confidence to take them. He also made that nice little jumper late in todays game. He will average double figures next year, and excel his Jr. and Sr. seasons.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that we have no second PG option for Joseph to work against in practice. It's very difficult to improve over the course of a season without some legitimate competition in practice. Hope Howard is able to do that next season. And play some, too. It would be nice if he could play.

Howard will be able to provide that. He's worked his ass off, coming off a major knee surgery. Yes, he's just learning the PG position, but he is a talented slasher and has excellent vision out there. He's just very raw as a lead guard.

why choose turnovers as a metric?
Because turnovers are a MAJOR metric for point guards? Why do you think they have assist to turnover ratio and apply it primarily to point guards? Turnovers are an essential statistic for point guards.

And it's not like I'm looking ONLY at turnovers. I'm also looking at points, assists, rebounds, field goal %, 3PT %, FT %. Kaleb's low turnover number just happened to jump out at me, as I expected it to be higher than it is.

Really? Those are two things that I'd say he's done well. He seems like a very solid passer who has a good feel for setting up his teammates.

The things I'd knock would be confidence in his handle, defense, etc. But playmaking is not something I'd say is a criticism I'd worry about with Kaleb. Just my two cents.

I disagree. He seems more focused on just getting us into our offense than playmaking as a passer. His lack of turnovers come from not trying to do too much, which cuts both ways. He has gotten more aggressive in looking for his shot, starting with the BC game. I do agree with you that he has tremendous potential.

I don't know what to make of his awful defense. It is REALLY BAD.

RF2044 said:
Really? Those are two things that I'd say he's done well. He seems like a very solid passer who has a good feel for setting up his teammates. The things I'd knock would be confidence in his handle, defense, etc. But playmaking is not something I'd say is a criticism I'd worry about with Kaleb. Just my two cents.
Im with you. I think some people are incapable of assessing talent after you both watch the same game and they come up with a totally different evaluation.

Because turnovers are a MAJOR metric for point guards? Why do you think they have assist to turnover ratio and apply it primarily to point guards? Turnovers are an essential statistic for point guards.

And it's not like I'm looking ONLY at turnovers. I'm also looking at points, assists, rebounds, field goal %, 3PT %, FT %. Kaleb's low turnover number just happened to jump out at me, as I expected it to be higher than it is.
but are you using turnovers per minute or bad turnovers or im not sure what. kaleb doesn't play that much compared to those other guys, he commits bad turnovers and takes bad shots in transition. having said that I like the player and I want to see him after an offseason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom