Kaleb Joseph question ... | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph question ...

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
I thought saw in the BC box score that KJ didn't see the floor. Is that right? Is he sick? Injured? Buried?

Fairly sure he's official buried. Howard came in around the 4:00 mark after being up 20'ish for a bit in the second half, and then nobody else hit the floor until the walk-ons came in at around the 40 second mark.

He'll probably get a few more chances this year, but he's got so much digging to he should probably just be in street clothes at this point.

I've been in Kaleb's camp from the beginning and am disappointed in how things have gone for the young man. He seems like a very good kid. Before the opening game, I was convinced that he would be a player that would eventually be key for us, perhaps in his final couple of years. While that still may happen, I no longer have that same expectation. At this point, I'm thinking that it might be best for everyone involved if he just got a fresh start somewhere else where he could contribute. He could still end up having a solid college career. I really don't want to watch this go on for another two years. Just my 2 cents...

I've been in Kaleb's camp from the beginning and am disappointed in how things have gone for the young man. He seems like a very good kid. Before the opening game, I was convinced that he would be a player that would eventually be key for us, perhaps in his final couple of years. While that still may happen, I no longer have that same expectation. At this point, I'm thinking that it might be best for everyone involved if he just got a fresh start somewhere else where he could contribute. He could still end up having a solid college career. I really don't want to watch this go on for another two years. Just my 2 cents...

I agree. Hate to see a kid move on but seems like the best for him.

I agree. Hate to see a kid move on but seems like the best for him.

It's a tough call - I'm never in favor of kid's moving on simply because they don't pan out, but if he wants to go...

At the very least I think we should remove the idea from this kid's head that he's a PG for awhile. Been saying that since last year - when he played off the ball in the exhibition games, he looked decent. Then he goes back to playing PG, and he turns to ****. No clue if he'll ever pan out.

It's a tough call - I'm never in favor of kid's moving on simply because they don't pan out, but if he wants to go...

At the very least I think we should remove the idea from this kid's head that he's a PG for awhile. Been saying that since last year - when he played off the ball in the exhibition games, he looked decent. Then he goes back to playing PG, and he turns to ****. No clue if he'll ever pan out.

Sometimes you have to just realize that something is wrong for you and move on, gf, job,college, it might be better for him if he found a better fit.

Nothing against the kid but i'm hoping he transfers to open up a scholarship in light of current circumstances. I don't see the younger guards jumping to the NBA (more likely overseas) after the season unless there's unknown circumstances.

I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet. There's an historical precedent of a player being fairly decent, then totally falling off the map, and then finishing his career strong... Allen Griffin.

Hes going to be a liability in the zone even if he finds a way to add 8 and 4 next season in 15 minutes. He needs to be a offensive mismatch in the longrun for our system. Tough situation imo.

Hes going to be a liability in the zone even if he finds a way to add 8 and 4 next season in 15 minutes. He needs to be a offensive mismatch in the longrun for our system. Tough situation imo.

His defense has been much better (in the few stints he's gotten) this year than last. I still think he was better last year than he was given credit for and more than a few of his mistakes were the result of Cooney mistakes.

I just don't see him contributing for this team. I get the feeling the coaching staff has made their mind up and there is little he can do to overcome that.

His defense has been much better (in the few stints he's gotten) this year than last. I still think he was better last year than he was given credit for and more than a few of his mistakes were the result of Cooney mistakes.

I just don't see him contributing for this team. I get the feeling the coaching staff has made their mind up and there is little he can do to overcome that.

The coaches can't afford to wait any longer for him to get the picture. He's looked hopeless this season, as crappy as that is to admit about a player most of us were excited about, and I don't think more playing time would have fixed it. He's undersized, he's not as athletic as we thought, he struggles to dribble, he struggles to run plays, and he struggles to score with any consistency inside or out.

I really thought he'd show marked improvement this season and was optimistic about him contributing, especially with the huge opportunity he had to play PG with a SF as the only competition. It would be nice to be able to explain this away with other players or the coaching staff, but this is on Kaleb.

The coaches can't afford to wait any longer for him to get the picture. He's looked hopeless this season, as crappy as that is to admit about a player most of us were excited about, and I don't think more playing time would have fixed it. He's undersized, he's not as athletic as we thought, he struggles to dribble, he struggles to run plays, and he struggles to score with any consistency inside or out.

I really thought he'd show marked improvement this season and was optimistic about him contributing, especially with the huge opportunity he had to play PG with a SF as the only competition. It would be nice to be able to explain this away with other players or the coaching staff, but this is on Kaleb.

Agreed and I should have said the same in my post. He didn't improve nearly enough over the summer to warrant using him over Howard for sure. He's just not a PG and that shows everytime he dribbles east-west instead of at the basket.

I have been hoping for a long time that we could see the Kaleb that we were all expecting from his HS vids. I am definitely in the camp of being wrong about this kid, as recently as a month or so ago I thought he had a chance.

Unfortunately, the kid just gets cameos because he hasn't played well & then when he gets his cameo he seems to make almost instant errors.

He suffers from a huge loss of confidence. Kid just looks lost and out-classed out there.

Ok, so what can we say about his game:

1. As a PG - he doesn't seem to see the floor well & he commits the cardinal sin of good point guards - he always seems to be going E-W instead of N-S.

2. He seems to lack ACC level backcourt quickness.

3. He doesn't have trey range.

4. Last year the strength of his game was a solid pullup J - that seems to have vanished this season.

All in all, he seems like a great kid, it is just hard to envision at this stage of his career that he would ever be a fit at the Cuse.

I definitely wish him success and the best, be it here or elsewhere.

I'll have to ask you to confirm that you don't fully aspirate the h in historical.

Because if you do... I will find you. And I will correct you... Eric15.

I don't. My family rips me all the time for not using h's that start words. Uston, TX for example.

I don't. My family rips me all the time for not using h's that start words. Uston, TX for example.
Well, then while in the greater Uston area, you should also visit nearby Humble, TX.

As some of you know, I'm a carpetbagging Yanqui dog who has lived in Texas for the past 21+ years. I've never encountered any region with more ridiculous place name pronunciations. See if you can guess these:

Manchaca
Pedernales
Rio Grande
Mexia
Refugio

Bonus Q, especially for the lawyers: Voir dire

The first person who can get all of these correct wins...er...something from Joyce's fleet of scooters, courtside seats, and Jack Welch memorabilia.

Well, then while in the greater Uston area, you should also visit nearby Humble, TX.

As some of you know, I'm a carpetbagging Yanqui dog who has lived in Texas for the past 21+ years. I've never encountered any region with more ridiculous place name pronunciations. See if you can guess these:

Manchaca
Pedernales
Rio Grande
Mexia
Refugio

Bonus Q, especially for the lawyers: Voir dire

The first person who can get all of these correct wins...er...something from Joyce's fleet of scooters, courtside seats, and Jack Welch memorabilia.
I'll take a shot(s) at these:

1. Moscow
2. Petersburg
3. Rostov-on-Don
4. Minsk
5. Rubtsovsk

Bonus: Vla Dimir

So, how'd I do?

I'll take a shot(s) at these:

1. Moscow
2. Petersburg
3. Rostov-on-Don
4. Minsk
5. Rubtsovsk

Bonus: Vla Dimir

So, how'd I do?
Well played. It's almost like the return of Appelsin.

Alternatively: Who are you and what have you done with my friend Yegorange?

I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet. There's an historical precedent of a player being fairly decent, then totally falling off the map, and then finishing his career strong... Allen Griffin.

And - Lazarus Sims.

That worked out kinda ok, eventually - right?

Agreed and I should have said the same in my post. He didn't improve nearly enough over the summer to warrant using him over Howard for sure. He's just not a PG and that shows everytime he dribbles east-west instead of at the basket.

Not a point guard, and not sure he ever will be. Even last year you could see that he wasn't seeing things the way you need your PG to be able to read/react/deliver a pass. He just doesn't seem all that adept at running an offense.

That being said, we're all going a little crazy on the kid. I mean, he started most of his Frosh season, and was okay enough, I guess. I mean, worst case scenario we probably have in two years a player with a far better overall skill set than Cooney. So, the rush to see him go seems odd.

I'm sticking with my opinion though that they need to develop him as a SG solely - and then let the back-up PG role be something he transitions into by his Senior year, if at all. Whatever. I don't love the kid's game - never saw a ton of upside regardless, so he can transfer and I won't be all that upset. Still, I would imagine unless the kid is insanely fragile, the coaches should be able to get him on track moving forward (this year is all but shot though...) and he can provide some depth.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom