Kanye West - “Ye” | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Kanye West - “Ye”

Anyone here care to venture a guess of when/if “Jesus is King” gets released?

The snippets taken from the pop-up shows are absolutely beautiful.

Anyone here care to venture a guess of when/if “Jesus is King” gets released?

The snippets taken from the pop-up shows are absolutely beautiful.

Haven’t... but heard this week he is going Gospel? Not sure where I heard that. Maybe the Le Batard Show, actually (w/ Stugotz!).

Haven’t... but heard this week he is going Gospel? Not sure where I heard that. Maybe the Le Batard Show, actually (w/ Stugotz!).
Yea, he said he’s done making secular music. The entire album is gospel music, but it definitely has Kanye production. Apparently there’s a song with No Malice and Pusha (Clipse) with Kenny G on the saxophone. He’s been doing a worship version of “Grindin” at all his Sunday Service events.

Yea, he said he’s done making secular music. The entire album is gospel music, but it definitely has Kanye production. Apparently there’s a song with No Malice and Pusha (Clipse) with Kenny G on the saxophone. He’s been doing a worship version of “Grindin” at all his Sunday Service events.

Not kidding here, I’m actually intrigued by the Kenny G collabo.

A new Black Moon album is out and a new GangStarr album is coming in a couple weeks - and every song I’ve heard off both of them is good-great.

Somethings in the water lately with all the good rap music coming out! This baseline is insane:

OrangeDW just took my dog for a walk after the Yankees game and listened to these last 2 tracks you posted. Both fantastic, thank you.

Didn’t know Black Moon was still active. Loved the Boot Camp Clik back in the 90’s. Heltah Skeltah, Cocoa Brovaz (Smif n’ Wessun)... so underrated. While most hip-hop heads were spinning Biggie, Pac, Nas, Jay-Z, Wu-Tang, DMX in the late 90’s (rightfully so, and so was I), these cats kept it gritty and raw while remaining far off the mainstream radar. They deserved more love.

Gang Starr was a bit more of a household name. Everyone should, at least, know “Above the Clouds.” By the way... how about that Syracuse lid at 5:10? Guru in the middle, on the couch, holding the iron to his dome while repping the Orange.

Thanks again for posting.

OrangeDW just took my dog for a walk after the Yankees game and listened to these last 2 tracks you posted. Both fantastic, thank you.

Didn’t know Black Moon was still active. Loved the Boot Camp Clik back in the 90’s. Heltah Skeltah, Cocoa Brovaz (Smif n’ Wessun)... so underrated. While most hip-hop heads were spinning Biggie, Pac, Nas, Jay-Z, Wu-Tang, DMX in the late 90’s (rightfully so, and so was I), these cats kept it gritty and raw while remaining far off the mainstream radar. They deserved more love.

Gang Starr was a bit more of a household name. Everyone should, at least, know “Above the Clouds.” By the way... how about that Syracuse lid at 5:10? Guru in the middle, on the couch, holding the iron to his dome while repping the Orange.

Thanks again for posting.

Agreed. Boot Camp was one of the better collectives in the 90’s and probably the most underrated.

They had a nice revival around 05-06, where the whole collective’s “Last Stand” album, Buckshot’s “Chemistry” and Sean Price’s “Monkey Barz” were pretty much all I listened to for awhile. They had fallen off my radar for a long time though, I didn’t know Black Moon was still active either.

Honestly wasn’t that excited for new GangStarr before listening to the two tracks they’ve released - I’m usually not big on posthumous releases. But should’ve know that DJ Premier wouldn’t ever let us down either with the beats or the direction of the music. I didn’t even notice that Cuse hat either! Good eye.

Jesus is King dropping at midnight.

Edit:

Wakes up this morning...

852CC089-8F31-4206-AD67-3D005DC4CE53.gif

Last edited:
“Selah” is incredible.

Album flows really well as a continous listen.

Closed on Sunday, On God and Use This Gospel are the other highlights for me. The opening gospel choir is beautiful.

“Selah” is incredible.

Album flows really well as a continous listen.

Closed on Sunday, On God and Use This Gospel are the other highlights for me. The opening gospel choir is beautiful.

So is it actually a soulful sounding album? He didn’t put a bunch of trap beats on it that all sound the same, did he?

Is he cursing on the album?

So is it actually a soulful sounding album? He didn’t put a bunch of trap beats on it that all sound the same, did he?

Is he cursing on the album?
About half soulful, half trap.

Definitely not as “gospel” as everyone thought with the Sunday Service stuff.

No cursing.. LOTS of Jesus.

Twitter world seems to vibe with it.

About half soulful, half trap.

Definitely not as “gospel” as everyone thought with the Sunday Service stuff.

No cursing.. LOTS of Jesus.

Twitter world seems to vibe with it.

Interesting. He scarred me on Father Stretch My Hands(which sounded gospelish) by talking about bleached holes...so I didn’t know if he’d actual go all in on the concept here or not.

Interesting. He scarred me on Father Stretch My Hands(which sounded gospelish) by talking about bleached holes...so I didn’t know if he’d actual go all in on the concept here or not.
Haha.. I went for a run and listened to it 2x through, expecting to find some lines where I was like bruhhh, cmon... but nope, all the lyrics are clean and uplifting.

Griselda Records album “WWCD” on Shady Records is out. Hope it does well. It’s nothing different than what they’ve been doing...which is good. Glad they’re sticking to what they do.

And I’m convinced that Benny the Butcher is the best rapper in the universe right now.

kinda surreal to hear “Utica” said on an album that Eminem, 50 Cent, and Raekwon are on.

Last edited:
Griselda Records album “WWCD” on Shady Records is out. Hope it does well. It’s nothing different than what they’ve been doing...which is good. Glad they’re sticking to what they do.

And I’m convinced that Benny the Butcher is the best rapper in the universe right now.

kinda surreal to hear “Utica” said on an album that Eminem, 50 Cent, and Raekwon are on.
Wait, rewind that.

Utica ties?

You got me going deep down the rabbit hole of Benny and all those guys. Really liking the raw street stuff, with just good beats and lyrics. That said, we really need a designated hip hop thread other than Kanye. When I went to the Wu show in Red Rocks last month, the opener was Jedi Mind Trick and Immortal Technique. Never even heard of either really, but Immortal Technique opened with saying, "If you're looking for some Kanye bs you're not getting that here tonight". They won me over with that.

You got me going deep down the rabbit hole of Benny and all those guys. Really liking the raw street stuff, with just good beats and lyrics. That said, we really need a designated hip hop thread other than Kanye. When I went to the Wu show in Red Rocks last month, the opener was Jedi Mind Trick and Immortal Technique. Never even heard of either really, but Immortal Technique opened with saying, "If you're looking for some Kanye bs you're not getting that here tonight". They won me over with that.

Ha. You’re right about needing a new thread.

Some of my friends in college were into Immortal Technique. All I ever heard from him was that “Dance with the Devil” song and it was like a movie that I’ll never forget but never wanted to listen to/watch again. Gripping, haunting, and all that.

Ive been on a Griselda rabbit hole since the summer. Benny - Tana Talk 3, The Plugs I Met, and Conway - Reject 2 are my favorite projects I’ve listened to so far.

Gonna give this new WWCD a bunch of listens. All their stuff has become my default weight lifting and workout music in the headphones.

Last edited:

Yeah, Kanye is weak for my liking. Always has been overrated in my opinion. Came to my college years ago. Right down the street from me, a 10 minute walk and still didn’t go. Not worth my time, word around campus was his set sucked anyway. Not sure his live appearances got any better thereafter but to each their own. Clearly he speaks to some, and he has some gems. It’s all subjective, and his popularity is off the charts.

In fairness Kanye was never real hip hop, more commercial than raw underground. So there’s that. He is what he is. There are some moments of well-thought artistry.

Caught Wu in Raleigh back in June. They killed it. Incredible how much energy they still bring. They don’t act old up on stage, that’s for sure. Pretty sure Method Man is Benjamin Button. Dude never looked better, physically or on the mic. And that includes the Blackout Tour back in ‘99.

Love some Jedi Mind Tricks. Blood Runs Cold is one of my all time favorites, if only for that Vinnie Paz third verse line and me being an old school WWF mark: “Vinne Paz got more hoes than Jim Duggan.” I mean, brilliant with a classic reference. Comes in at about the 2:20 point:

This thread has been great. Some good contributions. Life is too fast to keep up with the hip hop scene. Credit to you guys dropping good links here and keeping me up to date with what is relevant. OrangeDW bringing heat, longislandcuse for introducing me to NF, and all you other hooligans throwing it down here. Well done. Keep the thread alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom