Kenny Anderson: "I wanted to go to Syracuse." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kenny Anderson: "I wanted to go to Syracuse."

Most parents will sign if that is really where the kid wants to go.

But not all will. Lot of helicopter parents out there.

Don't disagree. But just google Alex Collins and Malik McDowell

I vaguely remember that story, to me its about your child, he is spending every day of the next four years or however long he is there somewhere, not you.

1989-90

Anderson
Thompson
Coleman
Owens
Ellis

1990 NC

I don't know it it's a slam dunk NC but for sure a final four team. Here's is SU's potential starting 5 side by side with the UNLV title team

Anderson Anthony
Thompson Hunt
Coleman Johnson
Owens Augmon
Ellis Ackles

I would have loved to see that game. That UNLV team was four juniors and a sophomore. Crazy that they all came back in 1991, but different draft game back then.

1989-90

Anderson
Thompson
Coleman
Owens
Ellis

1990 NC

Dave Johnson, Rich Manning, Tony Scott, Mike Hopkins and Conrad McRae off the bench. With Anderson, four McDAAs. Mind boggling.

Without Anderson, we won BE league, lost in the final of BE tourney and in the S16. This team seriously under performed. Can't blame that all on Edwards. Not JB's finest showing.

Dave Johnson, Rich Manning, Tony Scott, Mike Hopkins and Conrad McRae off the bench. With Anderson, four McDAAs. Mind boggling.

Without Anderson, we won BE league, lost in the final of BE tourney and in the S16. This team seriously under performed. Can't blame that all on Edwards. Not JB's finest showing.

Edwards was awful. I still have nightmares about that game. Minnesota had NBA talents in Willie Burton [a versatile 6-7 wing who was a big time scorer], and 6-4 guard Kevin Lynch, who absolutely abused Edwards that game.

Ugh...

Edwards was awful. I still have nightmares about that game. Minnesota had NBA talents in Willie Burton [a versatile 6-7 wing who was a big time scorer], and 6-4 guard Kevin Lynch, who absolutely abused Edwards that game.

Ugh...

Is Edwards going to be at the closing of Chuck's, hammer at the ready?

Is Edwards going to be at the closing of Chuck's, hammer at the ready?

Probably my least favorite Syracuse basketball player ever.

Probably my least favorite Syracuse basketball player ever.

That team was my freshman year at Syracuse. Then sophomore year...Richmond. Then probation.:bang:

That team was my freshman year at Syracuse. Then sophomore year...Richmond. Then probation.:bang:

That was a bleak time in program history. Thanks, Post Standard.

Everybody remembers that Richmond game, and rightfully so. But it was the horrible collapse in the BET against Nova (blown 17 point lead) that resulted in us having to play Richmond. That 1991 team should have been a 1 seed.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 12.15.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Cut the check.

I hope some of you in the recruiting threads understand that it isn't these kids making the decisions in some of these cases. Even if he wanted to go to SU and committed, his mother could have stopped it from happening by not signing the NLI.
Tyus Battle wanted to go to Michigan. It became obvious that his family wanted him closer so they can drive to his games after attending his brothers high school games. I believe Tyus succumbed to family pressure. Not to say he's not happy here now

Oh so you are to blame for all of that ;)

Most parents will sign if that is really where the kid wants to go.
Most being the operative word.
Kenny also had a BMW and a Mercedes at GT. That's from a guy who rode in them.
Imagine what mom got.
She said she couldn't afford to come to SU for his official, but she got to GT for that one.

Didn't Coleman give up a technical by throwing a ball at a Minnesota player?

Lots of talent, but no discipline on that team. Edwards was a weak link, but point guard wasn't the only thing missing from that group.

Lots of talent, but no discipline on that team. Edwards was a weak link, but point guard wasn't the only thing missing from that group.

You are correct about the Coleman technical.

Minnesota Sails Past Syracuse

On the other hand, I hope some of you in the recruiting threads understand that sometimes it IS these kids making the decisions. See: Thompson, Taurean -- who wanted to attend SU all along, but had to fight an uphill battle with his mother who wanted him to go anywhere but Syracuse.

There's no hard and fast rule. There are examples of kids making the decisions by themselves, families being influential, handlers from outside the family being influential, and every point in between on the continuum.

And this is why recruiting is so much more complex and difficult than just "hey we've got an open spot and plenty of playing time available for you."

You are correct about the Coleman technical.

Minnesota Sails Past Syracuse

From that article;

"The taller Minnesota guards forced Boeheim to play more zone than he cared to and Lynch, in particular, burned it. In one stretch, the 6-foot-6-inch junior scored 12 of 13 Gopher points. First he put Minnesota in front 55-54 with a layup, then twice traded threes with the Orangemen."

What? Can one ever play enough zone?

From that article;

"The taller Minnesota guards forced Boeheim to play more zone than he cared to and Lynch, in particular, burned it. In one stretch, the 6-foot-6-inch junior scored 12 of 13 Gopher points. First he put Minnesota in front 55-54 with a layup, then twice traded threes with the Orangemen."

What? Can one ever play enough zone?

HAHA I didn't even see that part because I was looking for the Coleman technical. Imagine not enough zone!

in that game JB came out with Edwards not starting the second half and cuse up 39-35

Kenny averaged 20.6 points, 5.5 rebounds, 8.1 assists, 2.3 steals his first year at GT. Those are insane numbers for a freshman in the 45 second shot clock era with fewer possessions.

The area where he would have helped us in 1990 is three point shooting. We simply had no pure shooters on that roster.