Kent Syverud letter to Miner | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Kent Syverud letter to Miner

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing people only hear/see/comprehend what they want/suits their arguement. I didn't blame anyone, what I said was, what's makes a Coporate lawyer any different than the people he mentioned. I did say if Corporations (not all, some good ones out there) weren't so greedy and showed any empathy at all, that Unions would probably fade away without much noise. People came into this conversation with their own agenda...cool, that's the way you feel, don't make it truth though!!!

My agenda is the good of everyone, not just public employees, or those protected by unions. I get a bit tired of everyone blaming big business. They answer to stock holders and do whatever they have to do to maximize profits. The gov't allows them to produce overseas and and bring back here with no penalties, which hurts the American workers. What I wrote is not my truth..it is reality.

Not really. Grad degree. Top of class. 35k.

There are overpaid public sector jobs. But you guys keep using a big brush. Too much Fox News.

Without knowing what you wife does (you implied teaching, or at least that is what I inferred from your post), and how long she has been doing it, I can't comment further. Are there exceptions? Sure. I am friends with teachers, cops, professors, postal workers, and all sorts of public employees. The compensation/benefits are skewed. If your wife has a masters (or more) and has been doing it for any length of time and makes 35k, it sounds like she is the major exception. Not sure why you take it personally. I didn't insult your wife at all. I said she sounded a fine woman. I wrote about public employees compensation, and only that. No more here. Feel free to message me if you wish to threaten me or if you want to continue the discussion in a civil manner. Otherwise, have a nice day.

At what point did I question anyone's motives for working in the public sector? You accuse me of generalizing about people, which I did not do at any point. I made mention of compensation. Sorry, but everything you wrote had nothing to do with what I wrote. Nothing. And, by the way, not all grad degrees are equal. Surely you know that. I am not ignorant to teachers work requirements. Maybe you need to go back to school. Break my post down as far as what I wrote, and how you comprehended it.

I would have no problem saying that to you face. If I wouldn't, I wouldn't have written it.

LOL, ok guy. You made a sttement about the guys freakin wife, ASSUMING that she is overpaid based on her skill level.

Please, tell me what you meant by this statement:

"And don't get me started on teachers...I met a woman who taught 5th grade in Amsterdam NY for 20 years and was making 80k+. For ten months a year plus a ridiculous amount of time off during the school year. 5th grade!"

I'd love to get you started on teachers. I'm all ears.

Without knowing what you wife does (you implied teaching, or at least that is what I inferred from your post), and how long she has been doing it, I can't comment further. Are there exceptions? Sure. I am friends with teachers, cops, professors, postal workers, and all sorts of public employees. The compensation/benefits are skewed. If your wife has a masters (or more) and has been doing it for any length of time and makes 35k, it sounds like she is the major exception. Not sure why you take it personally. I didn't insult your wife at all. I said she sounded a fine woman. I wrote about public employees compensation, and only that. No more here. Feel free to message me if you wish to threaten me or if you want to continue the discussion in a civil manner. Otherwise, have a nice day.

You made a dig at the guys wife. Now you're trying to back away from it.

You made a dig at the guys wife. Now you're trying to back away from it.
Yes, saying his wife is likely a fine woman is a dig...

And BTW, the AVERAGE NY teachers salary is 73k. Average. Considering the starting salaries average 44k, that means there are some very overpaid teachers.

And BTW, the AVERAGE NY teachers salary is 73k. Average. Considering the starting salaries average 44k, that means there are some very overpaid teachers.

What is the average pay for an MBA, MSW, MEng, MEM, MPA compared to a MEd grad ? Is it truly out of line? What is the starting salary of a starting MBA grad vs an MBA grad with 20 years of experience for example? An MPA grad vs a MPA grad with 20 years of experience? Are they overpaid too? What factual evidence do you say that they are overpaid? Opinion? Comparisons?

And wondering what does this have to do with the thread topic and SU chancellor's letter to Miner? Just wondering.

That includes NYC which majorly skews all income averages. The average in Upstate NY is in the 50's. So you're saying that a person who has a graduate degree, ten years of experience, and is responsible for educating your children making 55k is overpaid?

Whats your job and salary so we can dissect your value.

That includes NYC which majorly skews all income averages. The average in Upstate NY is in the 50's. So you're saying that a person who has a graduate degree, ten years of experience, and is responsible for educating your children making 55k is overpaid?

Whats your job and salary so we can dissect your value.
For 180 days of work. Its a lot of money for 2/3 of a job. Plus, tax free top tier retirement. Yes, they are over paid.

It's amazing people only hear/see/comprehend what they want/suits their arguement. I didn't blame anyone, what I said was, what's makes a Coporate lawyer any different than the people he mentioned. I did say if Corporations (not all, some good ones out there) weren't so greedy and showed any empathy at all, that Unions would probably fade away without much noise. People came into this conversation with their own agenda...cool, that's the way you feel, don't make it truth though!!!
So, why the need for public unions?

What is the average pay for an MBA, MSW, MEng, MEM, MPA compared to a MEd grad ? Is it truly out of line? What is the starting salary of a starting MBA grad vs an MBA grad with 20 years of experience for example? An MPA grad vs a MPA grad with 20 years of experience? Are they overpaid too? What factual evidence do you say that they are overpaid? Opinion? Comparisons?

And wondering what does this have to do with the thread topic and SU chancellor's letter to Miner? Just wondering.
I already bowed out of this thread, Cherie

For 180 days of work. Its a lot of money for 2/3 of a job. Plus, tax free top tier retirement. Yes, they are over paid.

I love the idea that people think teaching is a part time job. Yes, there are summer vacations. Teachers don't get paid vacation time. Plus summers is when many teachers attend training seminars. And prep for the next year.

And like with many public sector jobs, the bennies were negotiated years ago as a compromise to keep wages low. Over the last ten years the benefit packages have changed considerably so that they are comparable to private sector jobs.

I'd love to see you dealing with 25-30 10 year olds in a classroom for 180 days a year. You would have a much different opinion as to whether people earn their money.

Again, what are you education, job, and salary? We can dissect your value also.

I love the idea that people think teaching is a part time job. Yes, there are summer vacations. Teachers don't get paid vacation time. Plus summers is when many teachers attend training seminars. And prep for the next year.

And like with many public sector jobs, the bennies were negotiated years ago as a compromise to keep wages low. Over the last ten years the benefit packages have changed considerably so that they are comparable to private sector jobs.

I'd love to see you dealing with 25-30 10 year olds in a classroom for 180 days a year. You would have a much different opinion as to whether people earn their money.

Again, what are you education, job, and salary? We can dissect your value also.
I would be glad to, if I was paid with tax payer dollars. I am not. I earn what the market will bear, no more and no less. I also employ other people. I HATE teachers who tell me they should earn what the earn because they have to deal with kids. Was that not in the job description when you took the job? Did they not explain that to you at college? Were you somehow surprised by that fact? If you don't want to deal with kids, get out of teaching. What's that, you can't do anything else.
THIRTEEN weeks of SCHEDULED TIME OFF is part time.
Are teachers important. No. Are good teachers important. Heck yes. On more than one occassion my children have had to bite their tongue because the people "teaching" them cannot put together grammatically correct or coherent sentences. We had one teacher who did not know a 7 year old had not only left her class, but had left the building and walked home.
Get rid of the arrogance and incompetence in the ranks, and I will focus my complaints on school administration, where sloth and greed breed with idiocy and indifference.

alphaorange said:
At what point did I question anyone's motives for working in the public sector? You accuse me of generalizing about people, which I did not do at any point. I made mention of compensation. Sorry, but everything you wrote had nothing to do with what I wrote. Nothing. And, by the way, not all grad degrees are equal. Surely you know that. I am not ignorant to teachers work requirements. Maybe you need to go back to school. Break my post down as far as what I wrote, and how you comprehended it. I would have no problem saying that to you face. If I wouldn't, I wouldn't have written it.

It was the other poster that I was referring to. Your post was more respectful, though we still disagree I think.

Capt. Tuttle said:
I would be glad to, if I was paid with tax payer dollars. I am not. I earn what the market will bear, no more and no less. I also employ other people. I HATE teachers who tell me they should earn what the earn because they have to deal with kids. Was that not in the job description when you took the job? Did they not explain that to you at college? Were you somehow surprised by that fact? If you don't want to deal with kids, get out of teaching. What's that, you can't do anything else. THIRTEEN weeks of SCHEDULED TIME OFF is part time. Are teachers important. No. Are good teachers important. On more than one occassion my children have had to bite their tongue because the people "teaching" them cannot put together grammatically correct or coherent sentences. We had one teacher who did not know a 7 year old had not only left her class, but had left the building and walked home. Get rid of the arrogance and incompetence in the ranks, and I will focus my complaints on school administration, where sloth and greed breed with idiocy and indifference.

The brush you guys are painting is offensive. Lay off of saying all public employees are x and y. Makes you look really bad. That is all.

maxxyz said:
That includes NYC which majorly skews all income averages. The average in Upstate NY is in the 50's. So you're saying that a person who has a graduate degree, ten years of experience, and is responsible for educating your children making 55k is overpaid? Whats your job and salary so we can dissect your value.

I'm not a teacher, not related to any teachers and not close friends with any teachers. I think they are underpaid.

Wow this thread has completely blown off the OP.

Arguing public vs private politics is a lose-lose.

So, why the need for public unions?
This is neither a time or place for a history lesson, but most of the benefits that all Americans enjoy on the worksite came about because of Unions (Public and Private sector), and their concern for working people and human rights. You give me a good reason they aren't needed, especially when given the opportunity, most big corporations favor profit over the workers that produce it for them. In regards to public employees, don't get mad at them, get mad at the State sitting down and negotiating those contracts. I know there are a number of Lawyers on the board, but negotiations usually involve more than one group/party, why is the hate so skewed towards the workers? People are jealous that Unions still have the balls to demand the rights they rightfully deserve, while suffering in silence hating those that are only trying to provide for their family for an honest days work. Production is on the rise, wages frozen, people fighting to maintain their current level of benefits, not increases, but I guess people are supposed to have faith in charity and the goodwill of their employer when it comes to them getting what they deserve on the job. I get it, a few of us here do, You don't like Unions, the Govt. sucks, ok fine...Now back to SU Sports:bat:Oh Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.