Kent Syverud tells ESPN: ‘The current system of college sports can’t continue’ | Syracusefan.com

Kent Syverud tells ESPN: ‘The current system of college sports can’t continue’

The file has been corrupted, I wonder if we can fix it with balance and goodness? I really don't know...

I don't see a drop off in the quality of the product since the kids started getting some of the $$$ that is going around. Hopefully some of the TV deals can start going directly to them too.

Bad look Georgetown Kent whining publicly like this IMO. I guess we can't have nice things like our FB buzz from hiring Fran.
I am incredibly grateful for the assistance in my life that helps me see reality, I would emphatically state this if I was a factory, state sponsored school as well. Off the chain and a complete free for all, This is just IMO
I don't see a drop off in the quality of the product since the kids started getting some of the $$$ that is going around. Hopefully some of the TV deals can start going directly to them too.
College sports is so much more than a product, It is tremendously beneficial on all levels for so many people. I know this. Lets say the underprivileged kid who gets an athletic scholarship to play soccer, he or she will never see the professional level, however, exposure to kids of other cultures, social economic backgrounds, ethnicities, experiences because they were able to play college athletics. It can literarily change everything win lose or draw. That would be the product I would truly hope for. I also love to win, however, the big picture is much bigger than me. Revenue producing sports have tremendous impact on ancillary activities. In addition to all of the amazing gifts you are given. Lots of complexities however I am very concerned we are to lose the true spirit of college athletics, even if there were significant flaws prior to NIL. What this is evolving into is disturbing. I applaud the Chancellor, there has to be a better way. I once thought individual legislation should start at the state level with significant ADVOCACY for Federal legislation. My belief that they could even get something done without stabbing each other in the back at the Federal and state level is unfortunately low. This is a concerning time, Grace, hope and reason are available and that is certainly much better and bigger than football.

I think there needs to be some regulation towards what they can make depening on amount team makes. The thing mostpeople dont get is they pay for all the othernsports

Bad look Georgetown Kent whining publicly like this IMO. I guess we can't have nice things like our FB buzz from hiring Fran.
ken should focus on fixing the law school ratings and the university as a whole. i hope he embraces the investment model and begins to function as a ceo maybe su can move forward in other areas . he could have not picked a worse time speak on this topic. what is this guy thinking?????

Agree that it is broken. Completely disagree that there are 100 schools with football history that need to be saved. Maybe a 1/4 of that.

ken should focus on fixing the law school ratings and the university as a whole. i hope he embraces the investment model and begins to function as a ceo maybe su can move forward in other areas . he could have not picked a worse time speak on this topic. what is this guy thinking?????
I don't agree as he is being honest. Everyone knows the system is broken. Hopefully congress gets involved and evens the playing field or there are going to be a ton of programs eliminated and lots of student athletes are going to be negatively impacted. The system is a disaster for most of the student athletes. Only a few benefit from the pay for pay model.

I don't agree as he is being honest. Everyone knows the system is broken. Hopefully congress gets involved and evens the playing field or there are going to be a ton of programs eliminated and lots of student athletes are going to be negatively impacted. The system is a disaster for most of the student athletes. Only a few benefit from the pay for pay model.
Anyone know if the surge in NIL donations corresponds to a downturn in academic donations? I can see how that might be a concern for a chancellor.

You just don’t get it.
Get what? Should we be crying poor because the 30mil ESPN gives us for being in the ACC isn't enough like FSU fans?

All the previous models had problems too. This one is fine and with the 12 team playoff and ACC schedule finally fixed to not screw us over with locked in games vs Ville, Clemson, and FSU and worst crossover I'm not going to obsess about NCAA shortcomings. Its not like everyone associated with non revenue programs gets free rides either the lacrosse team has 12.6 scholarships soccer 9.9 scholarships you can't cover that and the ladies programs with 30+ million?

The old way broke when the schools started chasing as much money as they did. Eventually it was going to come full circle.

Kent’s not wrong, but there are a lot of Presidents and ADs who need to hold themselves accountable for how we got here.

Once they do that, maybe it can all be fixed.

I think there needs to be some regulation towards what they can make depening on amount team makes. The thing mostpeople dont get is they pay for all the othernsports
Can we limit coaches’ salaries too?

I completely agree. I love SU sports as much as anyone but the academic reputation of the university concerns me more. If I recall correctly, he was brought in because of how he raised the reputation of the Washington University Law School as its dean. I know the overall ranking for SU has not improved academically. Can someone point to something on the academic side that has materially improved during his tenure?

all of what you say is true. EVERYONE is aware. at this point he needs to focus on his university, while participating on whatever committee he is on. he as been a been a non performer at best in improving academics, law, research etc etc etc..
if he is being so honest then be the same regarding the status of the university. i wonder what the new staff thinks about when ken starts talking. his timing is awful. we do not know what a new model will be . pay for play in some form may be it.

There was a corporate executive many years ago who was famous for mass layoffs when he took over a company. That earned him the nickname Chainsaw. It was a fantastic short term strategy - the company could book sales on existing inventory and inertia for a couple years, then the fact they had no labor force left generally destroyed the company. Didn’t matter to Chainsaw though - he always knew to move on to another company before the long term consequences of his strategy hit.

It always astonished me how long he was able to get away with this approach - but then I read comments like yours and realize many if not most people are incapable of seeing anything other than short term results. If you’re focused on the results over the last twelve months, you aren’t even really engaging in the relevant conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom