Kent Syverud tells ESPN: ‘The current system of college sports can’t continue’ | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Kent Syverud tells ESPN: ‘The current system of college sports can’t continue’

As a long time alum, I follow all things SU and I'm aware of the myriad issues facing the school. He did an interview on ESPN and he responded to a question. I don't think his take is outlandish given developments in college athletics over the last few years. Like it or not, the chancellor has a say in athletic department issues.

The chancellor does speak to broader issues facing SU, as well as put out written communications from time to time.

It is a tumultuous time in higher education, with probably a much, if not more, uncertainty than at any other time in SUs existence and Kent has a very difficult task. I'm not defending (or criticizing) the job he's doing. My priorities are likely different from yours as far as what we'd like to see as Kent's main focal points. That's fine and disagreement is healthy. I merely took issue with the idea that by giving his opinion on the future of college athletics is taking away from his ability to govern the university.
i guess my primary issue is that we have just hired a new coach, new staff , and are beginning to upgrade recruiting. i found it poor judgement for him to make this statement at this time which could possibly be interpreted by any of the aforementioned areas as "uncomfortable" regarding our commitment to football and sports in general.
WHY NOW?

i guess my primary issue is that we have just hired a new coach, new staff , and are beginning to upgrade recruiting. i found it poor judgement for him to make this statement at this time which could possibly be interpreted by any of the aforementioned areas as "uncomfortable" regarding our commitment to football and sports in general.
WHY NOW?
I didn't take it as questioning SU's commitment to football at all. Absolutely everyone in college sports knows that the current situation is untenable. The Chancellor was simply adding his voice to those who are calling for a thoughtful review of the situation and resulting changes that restore viability.

I didn't take it as questioning SU's commitment to football at all. Absolutely everyone in college sports knows that the current situation is untenable. The Chancellor was simply adding his voice to those who are calling for a thoughtful review of the situation and resulting changes that restore viability.
thats fine again i ask WHY NOW---why not several months ago. what suddenly occurred that he had to come out about it now??? his timing is poor. the whole sporting universe is Acutely aware of the crisis facing college sports (as it becomes professionalized).

thats fine again i ask WHY NOW---why not several months ago. what suddenly occurred that he had to come out about it now??? his timing is poor. the whole sporting universe is Acutely aware of the crisis facing college sports (as it becomes professionalized).
Because they asked him Now and not several months ago.

He didn’t volunteer the subject, he was specifically asked his opinion - like SuFTW said he wasn’t asked by ESPN before that and he didn’t just volunteer his opinion months before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom