Kentucky being handled by Richmond | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky being handled by Richmond

Bryant looked pretty well coached to me. And we won. Kentucky lost.
Between our game Virginia this game. Has the world flipped upside down?

Kentucky lost. Nova lost. Michigan down to the wire with a 31 point dog Oakland. Maybe all of those on this board who are panicking, including myself, need to take a deep breath and see how we look after the kids practice together and are in game shape.

I always marvel at the pretzel-like machinations of some folks, especially when looking to fulfill a flawed agenda.
Look, its quite simple, at least for me: I like JG3, and Buddy, and am an unapologetic fan of JB.
What I am not a fan of is said guard combo playing 38 mins a game...no matter what.
We heard last year that Goodine sucked, and Washington was pathetic, etc, etc. So we recruit an obvious talent like Kadary and what happens in Game 1...he sits. The entire 2nd half!
Meanwhile JG3 proceeds to stink up the joint, and doesn't get a backward glance from the HOF'er.
I also hate the fact that Marek ever needs to sniffs the 5-spot, and yet somehow we're supposed to win games in the rugged ACC? And why is there no contingency plan- since Edwards & Frank are such scrubs that they can't at the very least, begin the process of supplanting our 155-lb backup center? And if that's indeed the case, who should take the blame for that?
Again, big JB fan, eternal diehard SU fan, & I don't need my fandom cred to be vouched for by anyone, least of all someone on this board. But asking legit questions about JB and his LACK of any determinable substitution pattern, or attempt at bench development beyond the 6th man in a rotation, is what we fans ought to do. Its our fricken duty.

I always marvel at the pretzel-like machinations of some folks, especially when looking to fulfill a flawed agenda.
Look, its quite simple, at least for me: I like JG3, and Buddy, and am an unapologetic fan of JB.
What I am not a fan of is said guard combo playing 38 mins a game...no matter what.
We heard last year that Goodine sucked, and Washington was pathetic, etc, etc. So we recruit an obvious talent like Kadary and what happens in Game 1...he sits. The entire 2nd half!
Meanwhile JG3 proceeds to stink up the joint, and doesn't get a backward glance from the HOF'er.
I also hate the fact that Marek ever needs to sniffs the 5-spot, and yet somehow we're supposed to win games in the rugged ACC? And why is there no contingency plan- since Edwards & Frank are such scrubs that they can't at the very least, begin the process of supplanting our 155-lb backup center? And if that's indeed the case, who should take the blame for that?
Again, big JB fan, eternal diehard SU fan, & I don't need my fandom cred to be vouched for by anyone, least of all someone on this board. But asking legit questions about JB and his LACK of any determinable substitution pattern, or attempt at bench development beyond the 6th man in a rotation, is what we fans ought to do. Its our fricken duty.

Given that Sidibe was hurt, Marek had 20-9-6, Quincy had 15-13, and Griffin had 14-12...why would we be worrying about what position Marek is playing? We needed all 3 of those guys on the court to win that one.

Given that Sidibe was hurt, Marek had 20-9-6, Quincy had 15-13, and Griffin had 14-12...why would we be worrying about what position Marek is playing? We needed all 3 of those guys on the court to win that one.
Against Bryant, yes. But its been proven that that's not exactly a winning formula in the ACC. I said at the beginning of last season that if Marek was going to spend major time at the 5-spot, we were unlikely to have a good season. He did- we didn't.
There is no reason whatsoever for there to be a repeat of that scenario. When you watch basic mid-majors trot out serviceable centers, you have to ask why are we wedded to this flawed plan? If Edwards & Frank are not ready, then where are the reinforcements? Why does JB insist on sticking Marek at the 5, and thinking that somehow it'll bring us any success...especially in our conference?
I know we tried to recruit that kid from Yale or Columbia in the off-season, and he went elsewhere. But that's still no excuse to have no other contingency but Marek playing the 5. Especially if we want to be a serious contender- which is after-all what we all want to happen. JMHO

elsewhere in Kentucky...

Greenville scored 95 points and lost by 78 to Murray State who scored 173 - the Racers lived up to their name.

There were some unusual stats for such a game:

- Murray State made 77 2-point baskets
- Murray State only made 5 3-point baskets
- Greenville made 15 more 3s than Murray State
- Greenville made more FTs than Murray State (15 to 14)
- Murray State had 10 players in double figures
- the fewest number of points scored by a Murray State player was 7
- all 14 players on Murray State played at least 12 minutes but none played more than 18 (their coach is the anti-Boeheim)

You're not making any sense. It's as though you didn't notice that we were behind Bryant on the scoreboard most of the game. With the game on the line, and one of your most experienced starters injured, you believe that JB should have rolled the dice on playing freshmen who hadn't practiced team defense or anything else with the rest of the team for 11 of the previous 12 days?

You're basic mistake, here, is that you're looking to determine substitution patterns for the whole season based on the extraordinary circumstances of this first game. Why would you do that?

the main issue is that almost no one on this board has coached bball in any way so any understanding on what it takes to get players to mesh is limited to what they learn watching in a bar..

You can point at single moment issues at the coach and be right many times, but understanding full game coaching decisions most people have no clue..

recruiting have at it, we seem to struggle to get our best recruits to play at the level we want to see and player development is something we all wish was better.. But things like in game adjustments most people dont notce any of them except for subbing in players.

Richmond was a likely tourney team last year. Bryant was #234 in the country per KP.

I am not going to make a big deal out of one game, but the way this board equalizes all mid major teams is quite odd to me.

Bryant added liek 5 players since last year including 2 transfers (1 of which was a 4 start recruit). saying they were 234 last year is like saying kirk cousins is 1-10 on mnf. there is nearly zero correlation. its a completely different team.

Kentucky lost. Nova lost. Michigan down to the wire with a 31 point dog Oakland. Maybe all of those on this board who are panicking, including myself, need to take a deep breath and see how we look after the kids practice together and are in game shape.

Have you met Syracuse fans before?

I can't disagree with you more. One team practices for two weeks and the other doesn't. And it showed in every way. Bryant was prepared and ready to play. Syracuse wasn't.

It really makes a difference in shooting and rhythm. Not to mention game-plans and strategy.

elsewhere in Kentucky...

Greenville scored 95 points and lost by 78 to Murray State who scored 173 - the Racers lived up to their name.

There were some unusual stats for such a game:

- Murray State made 77 2-point baskets
- Murray State only made 5 3-point baskets
- Greenville made 15 more 3s than Murray State
- Greenville made more FTs than Murray State (15 to 14)
- Murray State had 10 players in double figures
- the fewest number of points scored by a Murray State player was 7
- all 14 players on Murray State played at least 12 minutes but none played more than 18 (their coach is the anti-Boeheim)

what in the actual f * u c k?

Bryant added liek 5 players since last year including 2 transfers (1 of which was a 4 start recruit). saying they were 234 last year is like saying kirk cousins is 1-10 on mnf. there is nearly zero correlation. its a completely different team.

Fair points.
If you heavily believe in them I would make some large bets on them, because right now they are #276 in KP, and while lines veer a little more off KP now than later in the season, they won't be valued that much better in opening lines. So there could be some real value in them against Quinnipiac on Friday.

Fair points.
If you heavily believe in them I would make some large bets on them, because right now they are #276 in KP, and while lines veer a little more off KP now than later in the season, they won't be valued that much better in opening lines. So there could be some real value in them against Quinnipiac on Friday.

I believe they play New Hampshire tomorrow

You're not making any sense. It's as though you didn't notice that we were behind Bryant on the scoreboard most of the game. With the game on the line, and one of your most experienced starters injured, you believe that JB should have rolled the dice on playing freshmen who hadn't practiced team defense or anything else with the rest of the team for 11 of the previous 12 days?

You're basic mistake, here, is that you're looking to determine substitution patterns for the whole season based on the extraordinary circumstances of this first game. Why would you do that?
Until further notice, and unless proven otherwise, this game scenario was “same isht, different day”.
We’ve seen this movie before.
All’s I’m saying is that based on the actions and justifications bandied about after that first game, we’re likely to see it happen again. Sorry if I’ve been scared straight into thinking that this wasn’t a one-off.
Today Bryant, tomorrow Wake Forest- rinse and repeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom