Kentucky steals recruits with benefits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky steals recruits with benefits

yes it was, and UK paid him off, but if you ask our leader HOF Celuck, he will tell you otherwise

Lol I think you're missing what HOFCeluck & I are saying. Sure, UK is most likely cheating - but you can't prove to us that we aren't either. It's college athletics. Show me a clean program and I'd be stunned.

yes it was, and UK paid him off, but if you ask our leader HOF Celuck, he will tell you otherwise

OMG! Some of you just take blatant crazy rumor and pass it off as fact.

You all act as though if a recruit doesn't want to go to Cuse then it must be because they're being paid. It's ridiculous and you guys are better than that. I know a bunch of Cuse fans that are knowledgeable college basketball fans and having that kind of attitude gives them a bad rep. Are there dirty coaches out there? I'm sure there are but the blue bloods don't need to do that, they don't need to pay for recruits.

My point is you can't be sure. And maybe we don't. Maybe we offer money. Maybe maybe maybe.

You can't complain that KENTUCKY is "stealing" recruits. I will gladly hear your complains when Boston College has the #1 recruiting class. Not a school that has the second most top 5 recruits since 2007.

This! How some fan bases can't think logically is beyond me. I know that we've got our fair share of conspiracy fans as well but it's dumb.

OMG! Some of you just take blatant crazy rumor and pass it off as fact.

You all act as though if a recruit doesn't want to go to Cuse then it must be because they're being paid. It's ridiculous and you guys are better than that. I know a bunch of Cuse fans that are knowledgeable college basketball fans and having that kind of attitude gives them a bad rep. Are there dirty coaches out there? I'm sure there are but the blue bloods don't need to do that, they don't need to pay for recruits.
I didn't say that about every recruit. I said it about AD. We may have been paying AD, but UK was paying more...

I think it is logical to conclude that Syracuse is not cheating in any fashion at this time only because the program just got a 10 year long colonoscopy from the NCAA. They smoked Syracuse on anything and everything they found. It amounted to a few parking ticket type violations but they nailed them on the cumulative effect.

Does that mean that Syracuse has never cheated in the past, or will never cheat in the future? Absolutely not.

As to the matter of Kentucky. Again logically it is hard to justify how they went from relatively unremarkable in recruiting prowess in the years before Calipari to what they have been since the day him and Wes got there. Which is a recruiting machine the likes of which no college team in any sport has ever seen. Top 5 players willing to "platoon"? Let's just say it is wholly unprecedented. Does that mean UK is cheating? Absolutely not. I have heard stories from 2nd and 3rd hand sources, mainly the Chicago newspaper article about AD and reports from DC2's recruitment, but all unsubstantiated. Calipari certainly deserves credit for his ability to relate to and woo the kids, his ability to sell anything, and his ability to convince them they have better chance to get drafted from UK versus other top tier schools. He also has top shelf stuff to sell in every category: fan base, facilities, dorms, exposure, etc. So we can draw no conclusions.

Except the part where we were put on probation once, and after setting the program back a few years, Boeheim still couldn't be bothered to comply with policies. I mean whats the worst that could happen right?
Which policy did JB himself not comply with?

& I think the whole 10 year investigation thing is a bit blown out of proportion because the punishments did not fit the crimes. I think players making money at the YMCA is shady - tough to know if the coaching staff used that as a way to 'pay the players' or if it's a booster acting out, the drug policy sucks because it's our policy not an NCAA, but have to follow it. Then everything with Fab - no one knows exactly how it all went down but the whole point of it is that over the course of the investigation there were issues - (again the punishment was so insane) but it shows we were not clean.

Maybe we are cleaner than most, and I hope we are - but i'll never complain losing a recruit to Cal or K. Their reputation draws kids more. Is what it is. Cheating or not

There is always a Goliath if not more than one. If you believe that Kentucky offers money or houses or whatever, do you have absolute certainty that we don't offer the same?

Yes. One national championship.

What are you talking about? Specifics please.

Boeheim was supposed to meet with parents if a player failed a drug test. He didn't, he just met with the player.

I didn't say that about every recruit. I said it about AD. We may have been paying AD, but UK was paying more...

I was talking in general about some of the other posts that included Noel, Green, and Knox, as well as others.

But anyway, what makes you say that? Somebody told you something? Somebody said..."I know for a fact that UK paid AD! His cousin's nephew's brother that was adopted by my Uncle's mother in law's 3rd cousin told me that he knows this for a fact!"

I mean, it has to be something like that and if you're naive enough to believe that then there is nothing anyone is going to say to change your mind. It's just absurd to me that some fan bases are so gullible to believe this crap. It's like if a player doesn't pick your school then it must be because someone is getting paid or someone cheated. If we lose a recruit to Syracuse or Duke, or UNC, or whoever, I don't just think automatically think it's because they were paid. That's just not logical.

If a team like...say a Dayton or a small school like Richmond were to all the sudden pull in top recruits, then I may think something but when a school that consistently pushes out top draft picks gets recruits, it's not because they're paying players. They don't need to pay players and if you think otherwise, well then you've got an issue. That's all there is to it

Does anyone believe Boeheim pissed off someone notable and they made it their business to come after him personally? I do! There is little explanation why others aren't even being challenged as improprieties abound throughout the NCAA basketball landscape
100 %

I think it is logical to conclude that Syracuse is not cheating in any fashion at this time only because the program just got a 10 year long colonoscopy from the NCAA. They smoked Syracuse on anything and everything they found. It amounted to a few parking ticket type violations but they nailed them on the cumulative effect.

Does that mean that Syracuse has never cheated in the past, or will never cheat in the future? Absolutely not.

As to the matter of Kentucky. Again logically it is hard to justify how they went from relatively unremarkable in recruiting prowess in the years before Calipari to what they have been since the day him and Wes got there. Which is a recruiting machine the likes of which no college team in any sport has ever seen. Top 5 players willing to "platoon"? Let's just say it is wholly unprecedented. Does that mean UK is cheating? Absolutely not. I have heard stories from 2nd and 3rd hand sources, mainly the Chicago newspaper article about AD and reports from DC2's recruitment, but all unsubstantiated. Calipari certainly deserves credit for his ability to relate to and woo the kids, his ability to sell anything, and his ability to convince them they have better chance to get drafted from UK versus other top tier schools. He also has top shelf stuff to sell in every category: fan base, facilities, dorms, exposure, etc. So we can draw no conclusions.

Great post! I think it's easy to justify why we are recruiting at this level and were not before Cal got here. It's because kids come to play for the coach and not the school. Unless you are/we're a kid born and raised in KY and have always dreamed of playing for the Cats, you're picking UK because of Calipari. Plain and simple. I'm not naive enough to think that these kids are coming to UK because of our history and tradition. Hell, most of these kids don't know much about either. They don't know who Kyle Macy is, or Jack Givens, Dan Issell, Kenny Walker, Sean Woods, John Pelphry, etc. They don't have a clue who these guys are and most could care less. All they know is that Cal is there and that's all that matters to them. Any UK fan that says otherwise is either lying or naive. It's all about Calipari. Same with any other school as well. Unless you were born and raised as a fan of that school, you're picking your school based on the coach. It's just the way it is these days.

It covered many years, but this was not the cause of any vacated wins.

Boeheim was supposed to meet with parents if a player failed a drug test. He didn't, he just met with the player.
Call. He was supposed to call.

Regardless, he didn't do it.

A stupid, unforced error by a man who should've known better what kind of organization he was dealing with.

He knew better, but he's arrogant enough to think that he could benefit from the drug testing rule (by not having players disqualified by surprise in the tournament) without paying the consequences (by suspending players and enforcing the policy). I get why some Syracuse fans attack the NCAA and defend the coach, but that's the whole situation in a nutshell: Boeheim's arrogance.

Great post! I think it's easy to justify why we are recruiting at this level and were not before Cal got here. It's because kids come to play for the coach and not the school. Unless you are/we're a kid born and raised in KY and have always dreamed of playing for the Cats, you're picking UK because of Calipari. Plain and simple. I'm not naive enough to think that these kids are coming to UK because of our history and tradition. Hell, most of these kids don't know much about either. They don't know who Kyle Macy is, or Jack Givens, Dan Issell, Kenny Walker, Sean Woods, John Pelphry, etc. They don't have a clue who these guys are and most could care less. All they know is that Cal is there and that's all that matters to them. Any UK fan that says otherwise is either lying or naive. It's all about Calipari. Same with any other school as well. Unless you were born and raised as a fan of that school, you're picking your school based on the coach. It's just the way it is these days.
Dude go back to your UK board or go troll another message board. Believe what you want to believe but every where your crooked coach has been trouble has loomed after he left. I guess you have no idea who World Wide Wes is either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom