Kentucky steals recruits with benefits | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky steals recruits with benefits

And then, shockingly, the NCAA came down. Because apparently it didn't matter what the AD said if your in violation of your written policy. Which we were.

Right. Blame Crouthamel. But that doesn't fit your narrative, right?

He didn't want to follow the drug policy because it was too complicated. He went to Jake, who told him he didn't have to follow it. Fine. But it's awful weird be so cavalier about his program when he was sanctioned already by the NCAA.

Didn't want to? Who says? He was told he didn't have to. The rules changed and AD had control. As far as JB knows they were doing nothing wrong.

I'd pay a little more attention to detail

I would too if I were you kid. You erroneously told me the policy hadn't changed. Do your homework

Last edited:
Why? Unless it's something forbidden for competition, it shouldn't be your college's business what goes into your body.
Even if it's illegal? When I ran D3 track I had to sign an agreement concerning drug use. It makes sense scholarship athletes would too.

And then, shockingly, the NCAA came down. Because apparently it didn't matter what the AD said if your in violation of your written policy. Which we were.

He didn't want to follow the drug policy because it was too complicated. He went to Jake, who told him he didn't have to follow it. Fine. But it's awful weird be so cavalier about his program when he was sanctioned already by the NCAA.

I'd pay a little more attention to detail .
But the NCAA didn't come down on that.

Valid point Totally agree He's a good coach and great charmer/ salesman and his legacy is building tremendous momentum that's hard to stop but that dude Wes seems shady shady shady

Oh, I agree about WWW but I don't think Cal "uses" him nearly as much these days.

Listen, I'm not saying that Cal is an angel and that Cal hasn't been shady in the past. He was the coach of Memphis for goodness sakes, Memphis is about as corrupt as any basketball environment in the nation. The times when coaches are shady is usually when they're in their way up or on their way down. Those are the times when they need to cut some corners to get where they want to go or to get back to where they were. Calipari doesn't need to do anything illegal at UK, he just doesn't. That may sound conceded and arrogant but it's just the truth. He has built his imagine into a guy that kids players to the league faster than anyone and that's what gets the recruits to Kentucky. It has nothing to do with it being Kentucky, or our tradition, or our history. It is all Calipari. They come to play for him.

My sister worked for Tubby in the basketball department for many years and my brother was on Nolan Richardson's staff at Arkansas and Mike Anderson's staff for many years after, so I've gotten pretty familiar with recruiting and the inner workings of some big time college programs. If you knew about UK and our Compliance Director Sandy Bell, some may feel differently about Cal and those rumors. Its good to see some on this board see the truth in the matter.

Dude go back to your UK board or go troll another message board. Believe what you want to believe but every where your crooked coach has been trouble has loomed after he left. I guess you have no idea who World Wide Wes is either.

Trolling? How can you say I'm trolling? Whatever.

All of you all keep talking about Wes, that's all you all keep saying cause you have no proof of anything. You're just being whiny fans. I don't get it either cause it's not like we are rivals. I guess some people will just hate no matter what. It's all good though.

You obviously don't know anything about either situation from Cal's past jobs. Also, isn't that kinda calling the kettle black since your coach had gotten you all in trouble? Anyway, why don't you go back and do some homework on those situations and you'll see that neither one of them had ANYTHING to do with Calipari. One situation had a player (Camby) take some money from a booster. Camby has stated many many times that Cal had no idea nor could he had known. Has there even been a Syracuse player that has taken benefits? Just sayin.

Second situation happened before the player ever stepped foot on campus at Memphis. It happened while Rose was in high school. The NCAA Clearinghouse cleared him to play, so Cal played him. Why would he not play him? He's not psychic and he doesn't have ESP, so how could he have known about it? The Clearinghouse cleared him and so Cal played him. Any coach in America would've done the exact same thing.

So, go ahead and use those incidents as your reasoning for calling Cal a cheater. It's all good. I know exactly who WWW is but apparently you don't know much about him. Give me some other reasoning besides Wes, please? Cause it's sooooo old. I guess UK's recruiting success is all because of WWW, right? It doesn't have anything to do with the countless players that Cal has put in the NBA. It must be WWW! It can't be the hundreds of millions of dollars that his players have made in the NBA! It's can't be that, it's got to be WWW. Right?

All of you all keep talking about Wes, that's all you all keep saying cause you have no proof of anything. You're just being whiny fans. I don't get it either cause it's not like we are rivals. I guess some people will just hate no matter what. It's all good though.

You obviously don't know anything about either situation from Cal's past jobs. Also, isn't that kinda calling the kettle black since your coach had gotten you all in trouble? Anyway, why don't you go back and do some homework on those situations and you'll see that neither one of them had ANYTHING to do with Calipari. One situation had a player (Camby) take some money from a booster. Camby has stated many many times that Cal had no idea nor could he had known. Has there even been a Syracuse player that has taken benefits? Just sayin.

Second situation happened before the player ever stepped foot on campus at Memphis. It happened while Rose was in high school. The NCAA Clearinghouse cleared him to play, so Cal played him. Why would he not play him? He's not psychic and he doesn't have ESP, so how could he have known about it? The Clearinghouse cleared him and so Cal played him. Any coach in America would've done the exact same thing.

So, go ahead and use those incidents as your reasoning for calling Cal a cheater. It's all good. I know exactly who WWW is but apparently you don't know much about him. Give me some other reasoning besides Wes, please? Cause it's sooooo old. I guess UK's recruiting success is all because of WWW, right? It doesn't have anything to do with the countless players that Cal has put in the NBA. It must be WWW! It can't be the hundreds of millions of dollars that his players have made in the NBA! It's can't be that, it's got to be WWW. Right?

So you don't think that William Wesley, being a "coach's agent" which allows him unlimited access to high school players unlike an actual player agent, you don't think that at a minimum that's a conflict of interest considering his relationship to AAU programs and Calipari?

Additionally, you don't think that William Wesley profits in some way, shape or form from his relationship to Calipari/UK?

Please don't tell me you're that naive.

I have no personal knowledge about this subject but it does strike me as odd that UK has consistently been pulling in number 1 recruiting classes (as has Alabama in FB) for some years, and that does raise suspicions. I know their BB players are one and done but in FB you hang around for 3 years. There is too that SB Nation story that deals with the SEC

Meet the Bag Man

plus I have read allegations from a sports blog poster (on an ACC team site) that at least one "big name" school out in the Pac12 did at least at one time provide drugs, girls, and money to FB players, according to his personal knowledge! If all this stuff is really more than a rumor, it would be good to stop it so everyone has a level playing field, but getting the NCAA to that point might be difficult, if the corruption is as widespread as people who despise big-time college sports sometimes claim.

All you naysayers who defend Cal over JB are killing me. I know for a fact UK players get paid a good amount of cash. . Trust me on this

What did JB think was going to happen when he didn't follow the drug policy?

This is revisionist history. JB and the AD Administration believed that because it was their own non-required policy that they didn't have to follow it. You can argue that it would have been smarter to rescind the policy, but reality is that policies that aren't working or no longer fit an organization's needs get changed all the time by the organization making a decision to simply ignore them. Sometimes its laziness, sometimes its easier than getting the necessary parties to agree on a formal replacement policy.

You think it's dumb, and that's fine. But I don't know about you but I have to follow the rules and regs at my workplace regardless of how dumb I think they are.
Agree it is a rule that should have been followed, but it is not nearly as egregious as you have tried to make it.

Um, because you continue to post BS nonsense on another team's board? :blah: :rolleyes:

We thank you for your #FakeFacts. You may go now.

The drug policy not being followed was on Jake, who also was the idiot that started the unnecessary policy.

What's your gripe with the policy?

Having dealt with this in the past, I'm of the strong opinion that it's an extraordinarily valuable (and common) type of school policy. There's only one weakness: failure to adhere to it.

I was talking in general about some of the other posts that included Noel, Green, and Knox, as well as others.

But anyway, what makes you say that? Somebody told you something? Somebody said..."I know for a fact that UK paid AD! His cousin's nephew's brother that was adopted by my Uncle's mother in law's 3rd cousin told me that he knows this for a fact!"

I mean, it has to be something like that and if you're naive enough to believe that then there is nothing anyone is going to say to change your mind. It's just absurd to me that some fan bases are so gullible to believe this crap. It's like if a player doesn't pick your school then it must be because someone is getting paid or someone cheated. If we lose a recruit to Syracuse or Duke, or UNC, or whoever, I don't just think automatically think it's because they were paid. That's just not logical.

If a team like...say a Dayton or a small school like Richmond were to all the sudden pull in top recruits, then I may think something but when a school that consistently pushes out top draft picks gets recruits, it's not because they're paying players. They don't need to pay players and if you think otherwise, well then you've got an issue. That's all there is to it

Anywhere Calipari goes there is cheating. Check whats happened when he left. Kentucky has one of the longest and most storied histories of cheating right up there with UCLA. I'm sure Syracuse has cheated but if we are doing it lately we are not doing it well at all. Kentucky is a blue blood bball school and can certainly bring in top talent without cheating. I don't think they can bring in that volume of top guys but hey I get why kids would want to go there cheating or no cheating. Its no coincidence that K has also let his boosters go into free for all mode again the last 5 or 6 year. Gotta keep up with the Jones.

You what goes down. If you don't you have your eyes closed . The philly streets know , I will just leave it right there.

Boosters with envelopes full of $$$$ are everywhere. The "Delivery Men" make big money delivering the goods. "Journalists" hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil. They want to live.

yet, cause Nancy Cantor was an idiot and reported minor fractions to NCAA we get slammed
This was probably very confusing to the NCAA. I can only imagine the look on the face of the person receiving the email: "1/32, 3/64, 1/1,000! What exactly does this mean??? There must be something seriously wrong going on up there."

First off Cal didn't put anyone in the NBA he gets recruits that would be in the NBA regardless of where they went to school he is a great salesman end of story!

OMG! Some of you just take blatant crazy rumor and pass it off as fact.

You all act as though if a recruit doesn't want to go to Cuse then it must be because they're being paid. It's ridiculous and you guys are better than that. I know a bunch of Cuse fans that are knowledgeable college basketball fans and having that kind of attitude gives them a bad rep. Are there dirty coaches out there? I'm sure there are but the blue bloods don't need to do that, they don't need to pay for recruits.

Come on, don't be naive. UK was already caught with their hand seriously deep in the cookie jar. Anybody recall the amount of Cash in the envelope to Mills? Does anyone really think the boosters are LESS involved now? Just more careful and clever, thats all. They got caught and there was proof, there were severe penalties (although not likely severe enough). Those 'Cats are not changing their spots and we all know it. There's a big difference between a little dirt under your nails and being up to your elbows in slime. And yes, degrees matter.

Valid point Totally agree He's a good coach and great charmer/ salesman and his legacy is building tremendous momentum that's hard to stop but that dude Wes seems shady shady shady
Pitino seemed to do OK there and that was before the 1 and done. What was there? Seven NBA players on the team that beat us in '96? Please don try to say this happened only since Calipari. Any good coach with the same boosters will recruit the same.

Pitino seemed to do OK there and that was before the 1 and done. What was there? Seven NBA players on the team that beat us in '96? Please don try to say this happened only since Calipari. Any good coach with the same boosters will recruit the same.
Not saying that at all. Many coaches succeed with his rosters. Saying he's a charmer and kids are drawn to him. He actually seems to take a personal interest in each kid and follows through.

All you naysayers who defend Cal over JB are killing me. I know for a fact UK players get paid a good amount of cash. . Trust me on this
I'm not saying your wrong, but where's the proof? If people "know" its a fact why hasnt anybody been able to prove it?

It runs deep, and will never be traced. We are talking like the Gambino crime family, no one will ever get caught.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom